Phuket: Patong’s first woman Mayor confirmed, starts work

webfact

Phuket: Patong’s first woman Mayor confirmed, starts work
Wiparatana Nathalang

1401093579_1-org.jpg
Chalermluck: first priority is flooding solutions.

PHUKET: -- The election of Chalermluck Kebsup as Mayor of Patong has been confirmed by the Election Commission, and Patong’s first woman mayor has already started work, effective last Wednesday (May 21).

She told The Phuket News today, “The first thing I am going to do is to prepare to solve the flood problem, followed by the garbage problem and then the Mafia.

“I want to create a situation where those who are doing everything legally do not have to pay influential people.”

Mrs Chalermluck won the election on April 26 with more than half the votes cast, leaving incumbent mayor Pian Keesin with just 3,330 votes out of 8,500 cast.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-patong%E2%80%99s-first-woman-mayor-confirmed-starts-work-46477.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-26

>>“I want to create a situation where those who are doing everything legally do not have to pay influential people.”

Let's hope so and while she's at it, clear off the thugs disguised as taxi and tuk tuk drivers taking up all the parking and organize them in queues and ranks, while not taking up public parking and parking in no parking areas. Well, at least I can dream!

• Like 1

>>“I want to create a situation where those who are doing everything legally do not have to pay influential people.”

Let's hope so and while she's at it, clear off the thugs disguised as taxi and tuk tuk drivers taking up all the parking and organize them in queues and ranks, while not taking up public parking and parking in no parking areas. Well, at least I can dream!

But does this also state that people doing illegal things (late opening bars, drug dealers, prostitutes, illegal staff etc) can still carry on breaking the law by paying the authorities?

• Like 2

But does this also state that people doing illegal things (late opening bars, drug dealers, prostitutes, illegal staff etc) can still carry on breaking the law by paying the authorities?

Exactly my thought - No need to pay if you're legal but if your'e not - no problem, just continue to pay bribes. So nothing changed... :D

Lets not forget she ACTUALLY WON THIS THING! who would have bet against the last fellow? Not i !!

She has, her family, some serious connections to get this far. Lets not discount her yet

Good point, but isn't she already part of the system that she has stated she now wants to reform?

I mean, look how she came into power, using the same corrupt methods that she now states she is against.

Corruption in Thailand has gone beyond criminality to become a cultural part of Thai society.

I read a survey a while ago that the majority of Thai's believe corruption is acceptable, "if no one gets hurt."

Trying to get the concept through to them that corruption, at all levels, hurts an individual, and society in general, would be impossible.

• Like 1

Lets not forget she ACTUALLY WON THIS THING! who would have bet against the last fellow? Not i !!

She has, her family, some serious connections to get this far. Lets not discount her yet

Good point, but isn't she already part of the system that she has stated she now wants to reform?

I mean, look how she came into power, using the same corrupt methods that she now states she is against.

Corruption in Thailand has gone beyond criminality to become a cultural part of Thai society.

I read a survey a while ago that the majority of Thai's believe corruption is acceptable, "if no one gets hurt."

Trying to get the concept through to them that corruption, at all levels, hurts an individual, and society in general, would be impossible.

Some forms of corruption are more sociall acceptable than others.......Orwellian you could say!

That said, she is not at the end of her career so, perhaps, has an interest in Patong functioning with some semblance of normality. Certainly her other business interests do.