Bad Debts

A colleague who travels regularly out of Thailand (has work permit) owes some money (over 500K) to credit card companies, can the credit card companies restrict his movements in and out of Thailand ?

The credit card company (or debt collectin agency) says that they can notify Immigration to stop him leaving Thailand. Is this possible ?

He needs to travel for his work ?

Anyone have any experience with this ?

Thanks

why even tell his credit card company that he's traveling to thailand? then again, why would thailand care? as long as he doesn't have any serious debts in thailand. now, running to thailand to avoid debt is another thing, i don't encourage that.

My advice is to always honor your debts to the best of your ability, even if that means making a monthly payment of 0.001% of the remaining balance.

I'm not sure what the credit laws are in LOS, but here in the US, banks retain "ownership" of recuperable property (i.e. houses, cars, motorcycles, boats, etc) until the loan is satisfied (payed off). For credit cards, banks merely rely on a person's name and good faith to repay the debts. The better the person's reliability in paying off debts, the more credit they are extended.

There is nothing a credit card company can do should a person decide to buy 10,000 bottles of whiskey for a town party to celebrate "elvis's" birthday. Once the product is gone, the creditor(s) can only mark the person as a bad borrower should this person fail to honor the debt.

Anyhow... time for futbol... Holland vs. Ivory Coast. Should be a good game!

Edited by Gumballl

The credit card can always get a court order to restrict your movement until your debts are cleared.

With the court order, your record will appear on the computers of the immigration officers and they will be notified when you enter and leave

Clear your debts, don't take risk

The credit card can always get a court order to restrict your movement until your debts are cleared.

With the court order, your record will appear on the computers of the immigration officers and they will be notified when you enter and leave

What are you talking about? Credit card debt is unsecured. They can't take your house or car or restrict your movements. Now on a bank loan, its a different story. I know plenty of guys who maxed out their credit cards in the US and then moved to Thailand with a few million baht. They destroy your credit and send lots of letters to your US address. In the end, there is nothing they can do. Not exactly the most ethical way to move to Thailand, but people do it and there are no court orders restricting their movements.

What are you talking about?...I know plenty of guys who maxed out their credit cards in the US and then moved to Thailand with a few million baht.
It always amazes me how some intelligent people honestly believe that what is true for America applies also to the rest of the world.

---------------

Maestro

What are you talking about? Credit card debt is unsecured. They can't take your house or car or restrict your movements. Now on a bank loan, its a different story. I know plenty of guys who maxed out their credit cards in the US and then moved to Thailand with a few million baht. They destroy your credit and send lots of letters to your US address. In the end, there is nothing they can do. Not exactly the most ethical way to move to Thailand, but people do it and there are no court orders restricting their movements.

Sounds like a guy who knows the score. :o

Naka.

A colleague who travels regularly out of Thailand (has work permit) owes some money (over 500K) to credit card companies, can the credit card companies restrict his movements in and out of Thailand ?

The credit card company (or debt collectin agency) says that they can notify Immigration to stop him leaving Thailand. Is this possible ?

Thanks

The only way any Immigration can be notified is via an International Warrant which is not permitted without criminal suspicion. Overseas Civil actions are not recognised in Thailand! A warrant may be issued if the Companies take him to Court and he fails to appear on Civil Charges. If the Debt Collection Agency is Thai, or even foreign, they need go through the Civil Law system here and a Judge may issue a passport holding order. He will know well in advance, and depending on his assets bankruptcy sounds good. :o

Thanks

The only way any Immigration can be notified is via an International Warrant which is not permitted without criminal suspicion. Overseas Civil actions are not recognised in Thailand! A warrant may be issued if the Companies take him to Court and he fails to appear on Civil Charges. If the Debt Collection Agency is Thai, or even foreign, they need go through the Civil Law system here and a Judge may issue a passport holding order. He will know well in advance, and depending on his assets bankruptcy sounds good. :o

Guy, my apologies, some important information is missing, but the debt is in Thailand, can they stop movement in and out of Thailand with a debt incurred in Thailand ? This is an unsecured debt, on credit cards.......

Thanks Please advise....

I very much doubt it, but would also be interested to know for sure as I have heard of people being 'threatened' similarly on several occasion over outstanding debt.

Given the debt must have been run up on Thai issued credit cards, how did he manage to get approval for such a sum?

Just curious... :o

Thanks

The only way any Immigration can be notified is via an International Warrant which is not permitted without criminal suspicion. Overseas Civil actions are not recognised in Thailand! A warrant may be issued if the Companies take him to Court and he fails to appear on Civil Charges. If the Debt Collection Agency is Thai, or even foreign, they need go through the Civil Law system here and a Judge may issue a passport holding order. He will know well in advance, and depending on his assets bankruptcy sounds good. :D

Guy, my apologies, some important information is missing, but the debt is in Thailand, can they stop movement in and out of Thailand with a debt incurred in Thailand ? This is an unsecured debt, on credit cards.......

Thanks Please advise....

Ahhh. The situation with debts in Thailand is that Court proceedings must be instigated as per Civil Law. On making application the plaintiff may request the Judge to make an Interlocutory Injunction (in the form of passport holding by Court) if he fears the defendant may flee the Country. Farangs who are working and have credit card debts don't usually get off. However if he hasn't got a "proper job" and only rents a home, what can they take. Surely to get this sort of credit they must have considered he had a job on which they could place an attachment order, this is the norm.

I hope he didn't make any fraudulent statements on his application. :o

Thanks

The only way any Immigration can be notified is via an International Warrant which is not permitted without criminal suspicion. Overseas Civil actions are not recognised in Thailand! A warrant may be issued if the Companies take him to Court and he fails to appear on Civil Charges. If the Debt Collection Agency is Thai, or even foreign, they need go through the Civil Law system here and a Judge may issue a passport holding order. He will know well in advance, and depending on his assets bankruptcy sounds good. :D

Thanks Please advise....

Ahhh. The situation with debts in Thailand is that Court proceedings must be instigated as per Civil Law. On making application the plaintiff may request the Judge to make an Interlocutory Injunction (in the form of passport holding by Court) if he fears the defendant may flee the Country. Farangs who are working and have credit card debts don't usually get off. However if he hasn't got a "proper job" and only rents a home, what can they take. Surely to get this sort of credit they must have considered he had a job on which they could place an attachment order, this is the norm.

No not the case, I was employed with good job and work permit now, have the opportunity to work in another country, curious whether if coming back into Thailand will be a problem ?

No not the case, I was employed with good job and work permit now, have the opportunity to work in another country, curious whether if coming back into Thailand will be a problem ?

AsiaMB, do I understand this right? It was you, after all, not a colleague of yours, you were talking about in your original post of this thread.

I am not sure what your “not the case” is about. Are you outside Thailand at the moment?

---------------

Maestro

:D

Settle your debts, you chancing cheapskate! :D

AsiaMB, do I understand this right? It was you, after all, not a colleague of yours, you were talking about in your original post of this thread.

I am not sure what your “not the case” is about. Are you outside Thailand at the moment?

---------------

Maestro

It never seizes to amaze me how many times I see posts that start with "A friend of mine would like to know"... Its so obvious, particularly when its of a sensitive nature that the poster is seeking the information for himself. Unless you are well known personally on here I don’t see why you need to do this.

But then again I can see why people would, there’s nothing more annoying in getting replies by people who tell you that you shouldn’t have allowed yourself to get in the position your in, like you want to here this ?! The question wasn’t if he was a good boy or a bad boy, the question was can he be prevented from leaving !

As for the Americans I couldn’t agree more, nearly every reply is “But in the states....” Well guess what, the query is not related about the states, so why bring it up ?

We know you love your country so much which is fine, we wont take that way from you but why does is have to come into EVERY subject ?

Thank you, my rant of the day over with :D

Living overseas, where you don't have a job (or if you do have a job it's not secure and finding another job would be difficult if not impossible), in a country where the immigration laws as such that you can be denied residence on a myriad accounts (including the immigration officer not liking you for some spurious reason) and in a country where there is no welfare or free medical care.

Now it strikes me, that is not the place and the personal circumstance under which anyone, short of an idiot, would want to risk loosing access to credit.

It never seizes to amaze me how many times I see posts that start with "A friend of mine would like to know"... Its so obvious, particularly when its of a sensitive nature that the poster is seeking the information for himself. Unless you are well known personally on here I don’t see why you need to do this.

But then again I can see why people would, there’s nothing more annoying in getting replies by people who tell you that you shouldn’t have allowed yourself to get in the position your in, like you want to here this ?! The question wasn’t if he was a good boy or a bad boy, the question was can he be prevented from leaving !

No, the question was could his 'colleague' be prevented from leaving. :D

The fact that the wannabe defaulter slipped up and stated the obvious is quite relevant, IMHO.

The OP clearly has the integrity of someone who shaves twice each morning; he appears to have two faces.

The ethics of an estate agent or 'realtor' spring to mind... :o

Living overseas, where you don't have a job (or if you do have a job it's not secure and finding another job would be difficult if not impossible), in a country where the immigration laws as such that you can be denied residence on a myriad accounts (including the immigration officer not liking you for some spurious reason) and in a country where there is no welfare or free medical care.

Now it strikes me, that is not the place and the personal circumstance under which anyone, short of an idiot, would want to risk loosing access to credit.

:o

The fact that the wannabe defaulter slipped up and stated the obvious is quite relevant, IMHO.

The OP clearly has the integrity of someone who shaves twice each morning; he appears to have two faces.

What I meant was it was obvious on his 1st post, long before he slipped up !

Also a friend of mine wants to know what you have against estate agents ? :D

---------------

Maestro

iT IS IRRELLEVANT

---------------

Maestro

As for the Americans I couldn’t agree more, nearly every reply is “But in the states....” Well guess what, the query is not related about the states, so why bring it up ?

We know you love your country so much which is fine, we wont take that way from you but why does is have to come into EVERY subject ?

Thank you, my rant of the day over with :D

I assumed he was American. My mistake. He later clarified the debt is in Thailand. That I do not know.

You are right maestro,

Chiangmaithai is saying something that does not apply to the rest of the world. What is true in the US might not be true to other parts of the world. Different country has different laws

What are you talking about?...I know plenty of guys who maxed out their credit cards in the US and then moved to Thailand with a few million baht.
It always amazes me how some intelligent people honestly believe that what is true for America applies also to the rest of the world.

---------------

Maestro

:D

Settle your debts, you chancing cheapskate! :D

Asiamb, if it is you, then say it is you. Stop saying things like it is your colleague, friends etc. Be honest

What I meant was it was obvious on his 1st post, long before he slipped up !

Also a friend of mine wants to know what you have against estate agents ? :D

Very droll...! :D