Should the situation get worse where do we go?

Dub2dub

Not a problem, except for some extra traffic in Bangkok ...around checkpoints or rally points. Curfew is a mere four hours now...midnight to 4am....should allow for ample activity. We are going into the off-season rates, and it would be wise to ask for discounts, as many hotels have lower occupancy rates....even without martial law. You can walk into most privately ownd guest houses and make a deal, by staying longer. Check 2 or 3 before deciding. I would think that theft and personal injury would be less likely, under martial law, but no guarantees on that. Give yourself a few hours to get back to the airport for your flight out. Some might argue, but I would avoid Bangkok as much as possible. Anything can happen at a moments notice. Seems to happen more quickly in Bangkok. Find yourself a nice island setting...kick back ...and enjoy the show.

My very own personal opinion....if I were concerned about getting out quick, then possible remain close to an international airport outside of Bangkok....such as, Phuket, Krabi or Chiang Mai. Krabi and Chiang Mai are the most convenient.

Edited by slipperylobster

Bali is interesting with 3 or 4 prominent religions. I am not sure of the beaches as i stayed in a rather luxurious hotel with a private villa and pool. Singapore I believe is very expensive. Vietnam is high on the list for backpackers . It should be much cheaper than Thailand. As my Thai wife explained it. Laos is labor for Thailand and Vietnamese are labor for Laos. So I asked her, "who are Thais labor for ? I believe she replied Singapore.

Kuala Lumpur might be interesting and there is a rail connection from Bangkok. I tend to avoid muslim countries because I am allergic to bombs. When I get close to a bomb all the blood inside me rushes to the outside.

• Like 1

Our hotels rate was only a bit lower as they don't really call this time of year low season. There was a "hot" sale on their website, so we took advantage. I stated at this property some 12 years ago when the rate was 1200B or so. They are now going for 3600B. Same room, no renovation, but right on the beach. We walked by sooooo many empty rooms. Only a few had guests.

Is it any surprise they have so many empty rooms at those prices? Even 1200B sounds high to me, let alone 3600B. But at 3600B per room they probably only need to have people in a handful of them to cover their costs.

If the end of May during a coup and curfew isn't low season, I would like to know when is.

• Like 2

How To Get out of here (to anywhere) would be a problem, if the situation gets worse.

Within 1-24 hours, airport and bus stations would be flooded with foreigners and locals, who want to escape.

How many people ? 500000 people ? 1 million? 5 million ?

Take the limited seats available on airplanes, limited buses who goes to a border,

private cars who will demand 5-10 times normal price for transportation

- to go anywhere, would be impossible a nightmare.

If I was able to get out, I would go anywhere they had a ticket ASAP. Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines.

In that kind of situation, I doubt one have much options, just grab first seat available.

Most Thai people are tired of this situation, and only want peace and quiet.

Let's hope the situation doesn't get worse.

Don't know where your living ?? Im in Phuket and all is good, curfew has been relaxed a bit and everyone I have spoken to ( including myself ) has no problem with what the Army has done and see it as a good move. Im not going any where and am not seeing any reasons for anyone to panic and run !!!

• Like 1

Interesting responses here and critics.

I based my reply here on 14 yrs in the country, and talks with red shirts people. Based on that, I have a strong feeling that it's far from over. The reds are mad. Again their leader has been removed.

A few expats have bought ticket outta here the last days. And the remaining are talking about a back up plan these days. I rather enjoy my life in another country, until peace is reached here. Scenario I wrote above, is very possible if demonstrations continue and violence increase. Many International Editors seems to agree, the situation is very worrying. Only a fool turn a blind eye to this fact, and past history.

Future will show.

Ah the long term, I talks with the red shirt people expat poster........................sheessh.

...And the remaining are talking about a back up plan these days. Where do live .......UKRAINE! I have yet to meet an expat who even knew what was going on let alone making back up plans.....this was my laugh of the day, thank you.

You need more than a hug....perhaps counselling. Not judging, just saying.

I based my reply here on 14 yrs in the country, and talks with red shirts people. Based on that, I have a strong feeling that it's far from over. The reds are mad. Again their leader has been removed.

A few expats have bought ticket outta here the last days. And the remaining are talking about a back up plan these days. I rather enjoy my life in another country, until peace is reached here. Scenario I wrote above, is very possible if demonstrations continue and violence increase. Many International Editors seems to agree, the situation is very worrying. Only a fool turn a blind eye to this fact, and past history.

Future will show.

I have lived in Thailand for moe than 15 years, the last 10 out in rural Thailand and I don't know ANY expats with plans to leave the country. Why woiuld we want or need too? I was here for the 2006 coup and also a coup in Venezuela in 1992 and that was far more scary.

Most international editors rely on reports from in country. The BBC rely on Jonathan Head who is biased to the PTP and has only ever been out of Bangkok to Issan a couple of times and never anywhere else in Thailand.

If you think I am a fool for not making plans then so be it but I do take note that you live in Red Shirt country. Khampaeng Phat, the province I live in used to be a bit like that but most local people have wised up and are ignoring the Red Shirts as irrelevant. They make a lot of noise and their leaders make many plans but are alsways absent when action is required.

Thailand is safer now than it has been in many years.

If you were planning to come for a holiday then please do so. 99% of all Thais are really nice people and the odd 1% are like flies and mosquitos. Nobody knows why they are around, they just are.

• Like 1

People concerned about the situation here aren't necessarily worried about right now. The concern is about a backlash that could happen in weeks or months. I have no idea whether there will be such a backlash and how dire it would/could be. But that is the concern.

• Like 2

At any rate, I've got a visa run scheduled for Saigon at the end of June. I'll monitor the situation here and if there are indications of squirreliness I might try out Saigon for a few months.

If it was me I think I would head to Cambodia. But I would consider going overland. Save your flight money in case you really get fed up somewhere and then use it to escape. Remember now is rainy season but still easy enough to travel overland to Cambodia and from there Vietnam or Laos.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are more protests in Cambodia and Vietnam than in Thailand. Thousands of Chinese citizens had to be evacuated from Vietnam a week or two ago.

How To Get out of here (to anywhere) would be a problem, if the situation gets worse.

Within 1-24 hours, airport and bus stations would be flooded with foreigners and locals, who want to escape.

How many people ? 500000 people ? 1 million? 5 million ?

Take the limited seats available on airplanes, limited buses who goes to a border,

private cars who will demand 5-10 times normal price for transportation

- to go anywhere, would be impossible a nightmare.

If I was able to get out, I would go anywhere they had a ticket ASAP. Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines.

In that kind of situation, I doubt one have much options, just grab first seat available.

Most Thai people are tired of this situation, and only want peace and quiet.

Let's hope the situation doesn't get worse.

Oh Man, I guess you watch TV too much, especially American bed-time movies. (captain america)

But if you are so scared like this, why do you wait here? You do get out now, like the guy before here who ESCAPED to Malaysia (or Indonesia, may be Vietnam) cause was scared by an idiot ladyboy hooker in Pattaya. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Asia is no country for the cowards.

Future will show.

You really need beer or medicine Amigo.

I don't know what would you do in a true South-American army coup? Rent an U-boat?

People concerned about the situation here aren't necessarily worried about right now. The concern is about a backlash that could happen in weeks or months. I have no idea whether there will be such a backlash and how dire it would/could be. But that is the concern.

Thanks heaven.

Finally one who understood what I first posted was a possible scenario in the future, if things get worse.

When the coup started, I smiled of expats who was talking about a exit plan, and had packed a bag already.

What I posted is a very realistic problem and concern, if things change for the worse. IF.

how to get anywhere, would be a logistic nightmare.

Seems people outside Thailand are concerned - see post # 8 quote: plane half empty ,usually packed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729652-travel-to-thailand/

• Like 1

BACKUP PLAN.

Stock up on everything you could possibly need for 3 months including fuel, your favorite tipple, medicines and most importantly Hard Currency.

Use MAKRO for getting your supplies and save a small bundle as well biggrin.pngwai2.gif

IF the situation does go to pot, then a home multimedia server would also be helpful. I suggest you start downloading all your favorite films and TV shows now before the net gets cut off...

And buy a lot of books.

Edited by RubberBroke