How to get proper electrical grounding?

paulsr

Greetings... would appreciate a little advice.

I have rented a house in Thailand which has only two-pin power outlets. i.e., nothing is grounded/earthed.

As a result, almost anything I touch, especially computer equipment gives a mild tingling sensation. Just now, I realized something seemed to be burning my leg, and when I looked down, the unconnected end of an iPad firewire connector was touching my leg. This is a problem I'd like to solve.

At a few places in the house, someone has drilled a hole in the wall and connected a wire to a screw. None of the wires is connected to anything, but I'm wondering, is this an effective solution... or is there a better way?

Any thoughts? Thanks...

--paul

Since your hose is rented I doubt you would want to rewire it. First try switching off all the circuit breakers then switch on the just the one that's giving you the most trouble. If you are still getting a shock it is probably this circuit. Then switch it off and switch another one on and try your computer in that. If you don't get a shock you know it's just the one circuit is bad. I find it very strange you would bet a shock off your computer unless it has metal like an Apple.

You should get you landlord to upgrade to a 3 pin earthed system with a Safety Cut and earth rod. Make sure the earth rod is placed in somewhere constantly wet or damp like under your bedroom or living room air-conditioning condensation water drain. Otherwise the earth will not work in the dry season.

If you have a heated shower you are currently putting your life in danger.

• Like 1

Since your hose is rented I doubt you would want to rewire it. First try switching off all the circuit breakers then switch on the just the one that's giving you the most trouble. If you are still getting a shock it is probably this circuit. Then switch it off and switch another one on and try your computer in that. If you don't get a shock you know it's just the one circuit is bad. I find it very strange you would bet a shock off your computer unless it has metal like an Apple.

You should get you landlord to upgrade to a 3 pin earthed system with a Safety Cut and earth rod. Make sure the earth rod is placed in somewhere constantly wet or damp like under your bedroom or living room air-conditioning condensation water drain. Otherwise the earth will not work in the dry season.

If you have a heated shower you are currently putting your life in danger.

^"If you have a heated shower you are currently putting your life in danger." Too true.

Regardless of electrical system, a Japanese-made gas heater for the showers is probably the way to go. It is for me.

I bought one right away when I rented several years ago only to find the ground wire was some flimsy lamp-wire wrapped at one end around a coat hanger stuck in the ground between the tiles outside.

As a matter of course, 3BB grounds their internet home wiring using a meter+ rod sunk well into the ground.

a Japanese-made gas heater for the showers is probably the way to go.

You are aware of the number of deaths each year this used to cause in Thailand before most people changed to electric? It creates its own issues (of ventilation).