Applying For A Settlement Visa

OK, so I guess this is not a new topic and has been covered many times on here before, but I want to get it right and I'm getting bogged down in all the different threads and jargon.

We are about to apply for a settlement visa for my girlfriend. I'm going out for a month in July and want to put in the application then. I'll return at the end of October to get married and - if we are successful - bring her back to the UK after that.

I want to put together the best possible case, so can someone please tell me what specifically I should be putting into a file to support the application.

Also, what exactly are the steps in the process, and finally, can you please list ALL the forms I/she need to complete.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK, so I guess this is not a new topic and has been covered many times on here before, but I want to get it right and I'm getting bogged down in all the different threads and jargon.

We are about to apply for a settlement visa for my girlfriend. I'm going out for a month in July and want to put in the application then. I'll return at the end of October to get married and - if we are successful - bring her back to the UK after that.

I want to put together the best possible case, so can someone please tell me what specifically I should be putting into a file to support the application.

Also, what exactly are the steps in the process, and finally, can you please list ALL the forms I/she need to complete.

[/quote

Maybe I am reading you wrong but you need to do the marrying bit first before you apply for the settlement visa. If you submit the application in Jule you won't be married so it will fail right off - or maybe I am getting mixed up!

I assume you are intending for the interview to take place after October? I think processing times are a lot better now so that might not work out - just a thought?

I've been told (anyone with more experience please correct me if this is wrong) that we can apply for the settlement visa if we have a date for the wedding - which we will have. The visa if granted is then provisional until sight of the wedding documents.

The plan is for me to go out in July and put in the visa app'. I've been told that current waiting time for interview is about 3 months which should work out about right.

If she gets an interview before I go out, it just means I won't be there, but will still go ahead with the wedding and bringing her back (again if successful) when I visit.

I've been told (anyone with more experience please correct me if this is wrong) that we can apply for the settlement visa if we have a date for the wedding - which we will have. The visa if granted is then provisional until sight of the wedding documents.

The plan is for me to go out in July and put in the visa app'. I've been told that current waiting time for interview is about 3 months which should work out about right.

If she gets an interview before I go out, it just means I won't be there, but will still go ahead with the wedding and bringing her back (again if successful) when I visit.

Ok - my info is clealry a bit rusty! I am sure others will have better info and you are probably right.

Not quite.

You can submit the application with a covering letter to the effect that you will be marrying on date X and asking for an interview after that date. If the ECO wants to interview her then she will be allocated an interview after the date of the wedding. Alternatively, if your evidence is ok and no interview is required then she will be told to submit the marriage certificate after the wedding and then the visa will be issued.

At least, that used to be the system. With the new application procedure I'm not sure if it's changed, so you may want to check with the embassy. [email protected]

For details on how to apply and what evidence to supply, see:-

Application form VAF2 - settlement (pdf)

Guidance - Husbands, wives and partners (INF 4)

TB test.

Diplomatic Service Procedures - Entry clearance Volume 1 - General instructions Chapter 13

VFS (application centre) homepage.

Document checklist (pdf)

You say that you wish to make the application for a settlement (spouse) visa in July, but not marry until October: I'm afraid that I don't think that'll wash now.

As Caledonia wrote, most applications are now being determined on the basis of the supporting documentation and if you are not married at the time of the application, it might be refused.

Scouse.

hi there dc1066 i agree with caledonia and scouser i think you will have to be married at the time off the application for a settlement visa or they will probly turn your application down,

all the best for you both please let us all know your out come

pete&som :o

dc1066 i was just woundering does the 1066 come from sussex (uk)??????

Edited by cuddleypete

Scouse,

We wanted to post the application in July because of the 3 month wait for interviews.

We didn't want to wait until we marry and then have another 3 months wait for the interview.

I've been told that we can do it this way and the visa - if granted - would be under the proviso that we can produce the marriage doc's before it is finally granted.

This is the problem, I am being told different things by different people and often contradictory views. This is way I came on this forum, which has given excellent advice in the past, in the hope of getting the right info.

The relationship is legit and going on for around 18 months, so we have all the supporting evidence - other than the important marriage doc's which can be shown at/around time of any interview.

Pete,

Not Hastings, but born in 66 (big 40 later this year) and can just about remember this as an id.

i have a thai wife that i live with in the uk. but its a lot easyer if you get a firm to do the paper work for you and there put forms in for you it cost you about £120 for the company and £260 for the visa but at frist you will only get a 2 year one then after that she applys for a indefinite visa which is £500. i know a very good bangkok company that got my wife hers and help us to marry in thailand. :o:D

I think you would be safer waiting until you are married - yes it may work with the way you have mentioned BUT I think your chances would be a lot better if you wait until you are married. I know it seems a pain now but it will be an even bigger pain if you were to get a refusal!

If you have the evidence to back up the relationship and by october it will be nearer two years, then as Scousers points out can happen, you may get a pleasant surprise and find they only want a short interview with your wife based on the supporting evidence.

I would err on the side of caution and play it safe. I know you must be itching to get the application in but things will be a lot easier with a marriage cert between your mitts! :o

at frist you will only get a 2 year one then after that she applys for a indefinite visa which is £500.
It is £500 if you apply in person for a same day decision, but 'only' £335 if you apply by post.

Scouse,

We wanted to post the application in July because of the 3 month wait for interviews.

We didn't want to wait until we marry and then have another 3 months wait for the interview.

I've been told that we can do it this way and the visa - if granted - would be under the proviso that we can produce the marriage doc's before it is finally granted.

This is the problem, I am being told different things by different people and often contradictory views. This is way I came on this forum, which has given excellent advice in the past, in the hope of getting the right info.

The relationship is legit and going on for around 18 months, so we have all the supporting evidence - other than the important marriage doc's which can be shown at/around time of any interview.

Pete,

Not Hastings, but born in 66 (big 40 later this year) and can just about remember this as an id.

Pete,

Certainly, the embassy used to let people apply and request an interview date some months later by when they would have married. I don't know if they still allow this, but I would think not because not all settlement applicants are now interviewed and the embassy makes it clear that failure to submit all of the relevant paperwork at the time of the application can result in refusal. Perhaps give them a ring and see.

Cheers,

Scouse.