how much for an implant?

stevehaigh

i just lost a front tooth. i went to tooth town and they said 65000 for an implant. is that normal? is there anywhere cheaper around here i can ask?

also, i was told about 39000 for a bridge (inc extraction of old root etc), is that reasonable?

Edited by stevehaigh

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am having implants myself. 60,000 Bt each.

If the bone isn't thick enough, they do a graft. Another 49,000 Bt.

Wouldn't recommend a bridge as it isn't anywhere near as strong as an implant. Go with the implant if you can afford it; it's for life.

• Like 1

Are you a male model?

how did you know?

it sounds like a i don't have an alternative, other than a plate (denture) which isn't very comfortable or conveinient

anyhow, i just book a checkup at bangkok hospital, i'm sure they are not cheap either but worth checking out

Edited by stevehaigh

Thai made can be purchased for just shy of 50K, US or Korean upto 75K...so the quote you had Steve is about correct. Its not as simple as it may seem, bones may need shaving etc. You also need to let the gum shrink for 3 months befor having an implant.

Thai made can be purchased for just shy of 50K, US or Korean upto 75K...so the quote you had Steve is about correct. Its not as simple as it may seem, bones may need shaving etc. You also need to let the gum shrink for 3 months befor having an implant.

True about the wait. On one side I have to wait 3 months and the side where I've had a graft, 4 months.

I'm having 4 teeth done in total; all previous caps.

PS. Just remembered, I'm being charged 80,000 Bt a tooth, not 60,000 Bt as I first stated, so, your 65,000 Bt is a good figure.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

Wouldn't recommend a bridge as it isn't anywhere near as strong as an implant. Go with the implant if you can afford it; it's for life.

Go with the implant if you can afford it; it's for life. would that not depend on age of OP ?

went to [Queen Mums] Hospital in Pinklao in 2004, had 4 Crowns and 2 bridges, took near 6 months, total cost 65,000 baht.. 10 years on never had any problems

You are talking about caps, where the original tooth is ground down and a porcelain cap covers the original ground down tooth.

An implant is is used when there is no tooth left. It is where a hole is drilled into the bone and a titanium cylinder is screwed in. Then a false tooth is screwed into the cylinder.

• Like 1

I'm in my 50's and the crowns I have had for 15-20 years are now failing (the roots).

I reckon I have another 10 years at least, so, I think they are worth it.

Yep my 2 Crowns were about 18+ years old and root problems, the Hospital took the roots out and fitted pins, the new Crowns are fitted on these pins. guess they will last my lifetime

Guess if I was in my 30's would go for Implants, not sure they were about or very common 30 odd years ago.

Edited by ignis

You are talking about caps, where the original tooth is ground down and a porcelain cap covers the original ground down tooth.

An implant is is used when there is no tooth left. It is where a hole is drilled into the bone and a titanium cylinder is screwed in. Then a false tooth is screwed into the cylinder.

I knew he had it wrong as well, but did get me thinking, would it be worth the OP making a few enquiries in Pattaya and/or Bangkok. Might be significantly cheaper up there.

Just a thought.

Barring compications the price has been 10,000 Baht in the few places I have seen. My wife paid 20,000 for 1.

It appears it would be worth it to make a couple of trips to Isan. The price difference would more than make up for the price difference.

I got a crown done for 9,000 at Ram hospital in KK.

I have had a lot of dental work done in Phnom Phen. It has been great quality and my dentist does Zinconia crowns with free root canal treatment for $300 and a 7 year warranty and implants were around US$1200 and US$1600 depending where implant was made. I had a implant done here in Thailand 6 years ago, that was 65,000 baht.

Last time I had 3 crowns and 2 root canals surgery done. I only gave the dentist 5 days as I was flying out. The first day, he prepared the teeth. Two days before I was flying, I came in to get them fitted. The dentist looked horrified and said they had made them 2 shades the wrong colour. He called the dental technician up, within 30 minutes he arrived. The dentist had a bit to say to him, but amazingly, the next day, the dentist had my crowns back, this time the right colour. He fitted them and all was done 1 day before I flew.

For an implant you would need 2 trips to Cambodia, first time to have the Titanium bolt inserted, second time 3 to 6 months later for the tooth.

Depending on the condition of your bone, a bone transplant may also be needed.

I can say after 9 crowns and many root canal treatments and other work, so far everything has gone well.

• Like 2

Barring compications the price has been 10,000 Baht in the few places I have seen. My wife paid 20,000 for 1.

It appears it would be worth it to make a couple of trips to Isan. The price difference would more than make up for the price difference.

10000 baht?? you mean for a crown or an implant. I think you mean a crown.

I had 2 lower teeth pulled and a bridge with 2 teeth made and I am sure all that was less than 15,000 baht at St Louis Hospital BKK,

no problems after 2 years

but to the rest of you , how does an upper bridge feel ? and does it "fall down" often ?

I rarely have a problem with the lower bridge , barely know its there......

Edited by BKKdreaming

Prices for dental work greatly vary......it is always a good sign when there are Thai people in the waiting room. It pays to shop around. Might also be good to let them know at the dentist's office that you are not a tourist, but live in Phuket.

I paid 45K each for three implants for the Missus. THe bridge option requires the destruction of the two adjacent teeth which was unacceptable to me. Once gone, they're gone.

For the poster asking the "model" question it isn't just a matter of appearance which I personally do find relevant but rather a matter of health of the remaining teeth as well.

• Like 1

seems to be location dependent Reasonable pricing of about or just over half of what you have been saying has been mentioned to me by my dentist in Chiang Mai

I had a root canal plus crown done at a government hospital. Total costs were less than 5,000 baht.

Provicial hospitals may be abe to do implants as well and i inmagine they will be considerably cheaper than at a private clinic.

• Like 2

Are you a male model? at that price I would simply do without the tooth unless you absolutely need it for looks or eating!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A missing tooth can cause adjoining teeth to shift position and cause additonal problems.

Years ago, I lost my two front, uppers and found it difficult to eat, talk and whistle, not to mention the damage to my beautiful self. :)

I had them replaced and never looked back...or better.

Are you a male model? at that price I would simply do without the tooth unless you absolutely need it for looks or eating!

A missing tooth can cause adjoining teeth to shift position and cause additonal problems.

Years ago, I lost my two front, uppers and found it difficult to eat, talk and whistle, not to mention the damage to my beautiful self. :)

I had them replaced and never looked back...or better.

I've had a tooth missing for as long as I can remember, the dentist told me "you must replace it otherwise you will have biting problems etc, the lower tooth will grow causing problems" many years later and still no problems!! I can understand younger people wanting to protect there appearance and being worried when they are told "you will have problems if you do not do" for me I would not pay out the huge sums being talked about for something I do not need, obviously if I could not eat etc then I would do!!