Thermae...not to conflict with other thread

Gonzo the Face

This may massage some of the long dormant brain cells of some of our local knowledge pros;

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2011/Thermae-Bangkok.htm

Mods if something re the above is not allowed, please feel free to delete....... But is so good to relive the old days.

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

The photo is a little lighter than I remember..maybe it was the smoke haze. I think it is true that it was a welcoming place in the 70s. I lived around the corner from it and most nights I was not doing anything else I would end up there sitting with a changing group of girls and some foreign visitors varying from a fairly high UN offficial, several countries consular officers and a weird assortment of normal people who had met the group of girls I sat with's aproval.I only ever took one of whom I ever took home. Real friends who had shoulders to cry on as I did for them. Strangely I paid for very few drinks. I could go in there with no money at all and sit there in the corner and quite often a waiter would bring over a couple of full bottles that some of the germans who invaded the place for a few minutes brought a bunch of drinks grabbed a girl and left had left sitting on the table.

The closes way I can describe it is that it is how I picture the Paris bars frequented by artists of the past.

I am sure I am romanticising things but it never was quite as bad as people make out. Just a pub and a pickup joint. In my case it was my pub. I did my picking up elswhere.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Just a thought Harry,,,,,, and look at us today......what was it ..... birds of a feather...?????

I can say I have had a real life and still am as I am sure you are too.

Now of course the same cannot be said of regulars of the Mosquito bar.

I remember The Thermae from my first BKK visit in 79.

Long story but one of the owners from guest house I was booked into, placed me in the Miami until a room became available.

He showed me the best Massage Parlour in town and suggested a visit. Not sure if I have ever forgiven him for the Miami.

What a place, a MP, a genuine no hankey panky barbers shop, male staff and the place downstairs, usually entered from the rear via the hong nam.

I had been in the Red Lips in Honkers and thought I was 50-100 years back in the erotic east with BKK's contribution.

john

Met Stick some years ago and I respect his views.

I only went to the old thermae sober enough to really remember it properly once. Early 90s it must have been. Perhaps it was even my first trip there. An abiding memory is the low roof and every few minutes some farang putting his arm up in the air and shouting "Good morning Vietnam". It made me really feel like i was a proper Asian hand!! I loved it, it was so far gone from my home nation and evenings out there. In fact i was lucky enough to live the whole of the 90s in bangkok, a brilliant time i think to have done my bangkok years. The thermae was symbolic to me of those days, and i always thought i was lucky (and cool!) enough to have got what i thought was the dog-end of the 70s and 80s which must have been the REALLY cool time to be a bangkok citizen.

I also recall entering the establishment via the toilets, or something like that. To me just sitting there with beers and mates, and in the less-well-remembered visits with whichever girls i was with, was the real go. I'm not even sure i went that many times, but each time was to be savoured. Nana disco was going very strong in those days too. Bernard Trink still had a full page on saturdays.

Nice jogging of the memory cells. Thaksin did a few very bad things, but when he sanitised the city by closing it at 2am, he really ruined things. Going home at 5, getting a pad kapow on the way, then finding my apartment as the dawn arrived...

I like growing old, but being able to hack bangkok evenings was a big advantage of being in your 20s and 30s!! And then thaksin came along and changed thailand in ways that many didn't want it changing.

I only went to the old thermae sober enough to really remember it properly once. Early 90s it must have been. Perhaps it was even my first trip there. An abiding memory is the low roof and every few minutes some farang putting his arm up in the air and shouting "Good morning Vietnam". It made me really feel like i was a proper Asian hand!! I loved it

Well that answers the question about whether you are male or female. No Western woman woman could "love" the Thermae! tongue.png

• Like 1