Unprofessional and unskilled English Teacher's do you feel guilty?

Display

If China wanted to teach a new language they would need 7 million teachers. In a little country like Thailand a couple of hundred thousand would take care of it. Less population less teachers. We could debate the actual numbers and there are those who would probably like to do that but the point is less population less teachers less cost and ease of operation.

In most situations (except Thai Visa members) young learners pick up a language quicker than old learners so most of the meaningful education would take place before 14 years of age. 0 to 14 years of age there about 14 million children in Thailand. Not really a big number to teach.

If China wanted to teach a new language they would need 7 million teachers. In a little country like Thailand a couple of hundred thousand would take care of it. Less population less teachers. We could debate the actual numbers and there are those who would probably like to do that but the point is less population less teachers less cost and ease of operation.

In most situations (except Thai Visa members) young learners pick up a language quicker than old learners so most of the meaningful education would take place before 14 years of age. 0 to 14 years of age there about 14 million children in Thailand. Not really a big number to teach.

and where are you gonna find enough teachers to teach that many kids at the thai wage?? lol

481,862 college graduates in the Philippines in 2010. Average teacher in the Philippines earns around 8000 baht per month.tongue.png

I guess one could ask if teachers from the Philippines want to work in Thailand? cheesy.gif

Edited by thailiketoo

481,862 college graduates in the Philippines in 2010. Average teacher in the Philippines earns around 8000 baht per month.tongue.png

I guess one could ask if teachers from the Philippines want to work in Thailand? cheesy.gif

they arent all english teachers and why would they leave the children and families to come to thailand when they can be nannies in the west for far better money?

I agree that some non-native speakers with very heavy accents shouldn´t be teaching, but there are a lot of foreigners (like myself) who have trained and achieved a near perfect accent and are therefore very much qualified to teach if we have the linguistic knowledge.

Aside from accents I believe that non-natives often have much greater knowledge of English than natives, since the natives simply have acquired the language, and not really learned it.

I agree, there is also a huge difference in conversational english and technical structure ie grammar, they are worlds apart, I knew a Chinese guy who technically was brilliant in structure and grammar, but to listen to him actually talk was, well lets say not good, but thats about pronounciation and conversation, not technical structure.

There are many dimensionx to it.

When you learn a language it is usually so you can read, write and SPEAK so,that you are understood.

Being native or non native is irrelevant if the result is someone proficient enough to be understood

they arent all english teachers and why would they leave the children and families to come to thailand when they can be nannies in the west for far better money?

There are thousands upon thousands of teachers from the Philippines now teaching in Thailand. They like the food and wages as they are. There is an unlimited supply. Have you ever been to a school in Thailand? Philippine people leave the Philippines and send money home. That's what they do. Thai people stay home and people send the money to Thailand. That's the difference.

Edited by thailiketoo

When I first came on an extended stay to Thailand 15 years ago, the husband of one of the NGO people gave me a ride to the Nong Khai border for another 30 days. I said that I had done some work in the USA in petroleum exploration finance/accounting.

He then said he had worked in Saudi Arabia for ARAMCO. I said Petroleum Engineer? He said: No -- janitor.

Where did you get that information?

Public school educators in the Philippines currently receive a minimum salary of 18,549 pesos ( some teachers receive more than that ) and additional amount of money from the government aside from their salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Public school educators in the Philippines currently receive a minimum salary of 18,549 pesos ( some teachers receive more than that ) and additional amount of money from the government aside from their salary.

https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080604215508AAgztO3

http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com/career-enhancer/basic-salary-report.php?param=High+School+Teacher|000|ph||ph&src=a

Fresh Grad / < 1 Year Experienced Employee min 7,500 Peso

Edited by thailiketoo

http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com/career-enhancer/basic-salary-report.php?param=High+School+Teacher|000|ph||ph&src=a

Fresh Grad / < 1 Year Experienced Employee min 7,500

That was a long time ago.

My sister first salary was 18,500 pesos. Now they are waiting for the approval of new law which is the lawmakers have proposed increasing the minimum salary of teachers from an average of 18,549 to 36,000 pesos.

My sister first salary was 18,500 pesos. Now they are waiting for the approval of new law which is the lawmakers have proposed increasing the minimum salary of teachers from an average of 18,549 to 36,000 pesos.

So why all the Philippine teachers in Thailand?

So why all the Philippine teachers in Thailand?

Because they are better then whats here.

Sent from my c64

Starting salary is 18,549 pesos.

Thai visa, Thai baht. 13,300 THB is the average salary what is the average starting salary in THB?

Edited by thailiketoo

Thai visa, Thai baht. 13,300 THB is the average salary what is the average starting salary in THB?

If we will convert the starting salary in the Philippines 18,549 pesos to baht it is 14,052.27.

Some teachers receive more than that here. I receive 30,000 baht and some of my friends receive 40,000+ because they receive their salary directly from BMA office.

I hope no more questions from you.. Ha ha

Edited by Shancloudy

If we will convert the starting salary in the Philippines 18,549 pesos to baht it is 14,052.27.

Some teachers receive more than that here. I receive 30,000 baht and some of my friends receive 40,000+ because they receive their salary directly from BMA office.

Starting salaries for Thai teachers in Thailand?

Starting salaries for Philippine teachers in Thailand in THB?

Starting salary for Philippine teachers in the Philippines THB?

Starting salaries for Thai teachers in Thailand?

Starting salaries for Philippine teachers in Thailand in THB?

Starting salary for Philippine teachers in the Philippines THB?

Sorry, I'm taking a nap now. I don't want to answer your questions.

^_^

I don't where TL2 gets his facts but they are definitely off. First of all Filipinos in their home country make more like 20-30k baht a month as teachers in larger cities. The problem is that there aren't many jobs for them. Working abroad appeals to most Filipinos.

Second of all the average wage they earn in CM is around 15-16k baht so they don't make a lot but more than they would if not working back home. I have yet to meet a Filipino teacher teaching EFL that actually worked as a teacher in his'her home country before Thailand. They few that I have met that work at International schools make better salaries and did work in their home country but they were well qualified.

Fact 1 about Filipinos: they start college at 16 and finish in 3 years. So personally I don't equate their skill set with a westerner with a 4 year honors degree.

But I don't see how this thread has transpired to a native vs non native thread or pontificating posters claiming they have reinvented TEFL and have the only viable option for effective teaching.

Local Thai teachers who have qualifications and stay within the system a long time can earn a very good salary. I know quite a few Thai teachers earning 30-50k a month. They also earn another 20-40k baht a month teaching their cram classes after school for 2 hours a night. So don't pity all Thai teachers some are real earners.

I told you who can fix the Thai education system. I even gave you two names of qualified administrators. I told where to find the teachers to accomplish this transformation. What else do you want?

Who built the sky train and new airport? If Thailand wants to speak English hire administrators from Singapore and teachers from the Philippines. Not a big expense and the problem is solved.

Edited by thailiketoo

Fact 1 about Filipinos: they start college at 16 and finish in 3 years. So personally I don't equate their skill set with a westerner with a 4 year honors degree.

In Philippines it's the same "4 years" not 3 years.

Edited by Shancloudy

I don't where TL2 gets his facts but they are definitely off. First of all Filipinos in their home country make more like 20-30k baht a month as teachers in larger cities. The problem is that there aren't many jobs for them. Working abroad appeals to most Filipinos.

http://myjobstreet.j... School Teacher

The price paid for workers depends on supply and demand. It is not a problem as you wrote. Philippine teachers come to Thailand and work for less than they would at home.

Whats the argument about the Philippines going on? That our salary demands are way too high and Thailand can hire cheaper?

Okay.

Not like there arent a bazillion other jobs in about 30 other countries, is there?

So feel free Thailand. If you want a cheaper labor force, then be my guest. Im not going to tell you how to spend your tax dollars. Im not telling you to hire white westerners with 13 years of formal English education. That's your whole shtick. I'll be where the market decides to pay me a wage im happy with. And honestly, it doesnt really take much to make me happy (though its a little more than i got paid in Thailand). The only thing i honestly like about teaching in Thailand is that the jobs are bountiful and the age restrictions are.. less restrictive than elsewhere. It'll make a cool place to come back to in 15 or 20 years when ive got some cash, dont really need savings and am counting down the days. Beats being sat in the UK working in poundland for a giro. smile.png Right now though, not so much. Even China shows that the options are vast compared to Thailand, the pay is better, the market is emerging, the opportunities are somewhat endless and its all pretty serious to be honest. Youre actually expected to deliver genuine results.

I still prefer Korea overall though. Ill be there until the jobs dry up or Anti English Spectrum finally convince everyone that all English teachers are thieves, murderers and rapists. Then its China again. Then in my early to mid 50s, ill probably head back to Thailand for a last hurrah. Nice life this ESL lark to be honest.

PS, one of my colleagues at work is from the Philippines. Basing it on a cross sample of her, lovely people all round. Honest, brutally so (apropos of nothing: "actually, youre looking fatter!"), sharp, and great diligent teachers with a nice mix of fun and responsibility. So dont think im even remotely suggesting Thailand would be getting a worse deal for their cash!

Edited by inutil

There are thousands upon thousands of teachers from the Philippines now teaching in Thailand. They like the food and wages as they are. There is an unlimited supply. Have you ever been to a school in Thailand? Philippine people leave the Philippines and send money home. That's what they do. Thai people stay home and people send the money to Thailand. That's the difference.

send money home on 8000 a month! lol

send money home on 8000 a month! lol

8000 starting pay. Plus tutoring. Plus English camps. Plus part time translation jobs.

Most Philippine teachers that I knew worked very hard and made good money even if the base pay was small. LOL back at ya.