Applicants urged to take note of new licensing process for Thai drivers' license

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does this apply to ONLY new drivers?

I have not taken the written test/driving test since 1988

Only Color, brake and distance

Yes only new drivers. You will have to refresh it every 5 years (in my case).If you already have a license then they only make a visual test (eye test with pulling a rope an item to the right place) and have to look a 45min Traffic-movie which explains traffic rules. Be advised that you will have to make all the examination if you license expires.

I guess you are right but the article mentions "renew". Is this another excellent and accurate piece of journalism?

given that you are obviously not new around here one would hope you had the patience to recognize that the article is likely a translation and must be taken as such with a grain of salt.

Edited by HooHaa

I hope they change the fines for driving without a license too.

200 baht at the police station

or ~500 baht on the spot if the cop is as corrupt as usual.

I also hope they install cameras everywhere and send huge fines to everyone for everything crazy they do..

Can someone please link to the study material for the theoretical test? It's supposed to be on department of transportations website

Edited by hobz

I'm told that a Thai equivalent to the Highway Code exists. Anyone know where I can buy one in Pattaya, Sri Racha, Chon Buri area? I've scoured all the bookshops but found nothing. Enquiries to assistants as to where to buy one I get the usual "Don't know" or "mai kaojai".

And how do you get a permanent drivers license ?

You got one before 2005.

Mine issued 1983 was only valid for 4 years.

Did you renew after 4 years?

Rule was earlier, 1 year temp, 4-5 year permanent, then lifetime.

Used to be only 1 year, 3 year and lifetime licenses. 3 year and litetime licenses were replaced by the 5 year licence.

I'm told that a Thai equivalent to the Highway Code exists. Anyone know where I can buy one in Pattaya, Sri Racha, Chon Buri area? I've scoured all the bookshops but found nothing. Enquiries to assistants as to where to buy one I get the usual "Don't know" or "mai kaojai".

If you mean one in English, no, I've never seen one.

And I don't think there is one !!

But if you can read Thai there are several in Thai.

You can find them at the bookshops at the Tesco and BigC Extra malls in Pattaya.

Last year I bought all available and spent many hours reading/studying them. No fun.

And there is the free official one available at the place where you take your exam.

Forget questions, sit learners with a competent (haha) instructor around town and imprison non-licensed drivers for 6 months. Retesting shouldn't need to be every 5 years to keep the wonga trickling in... tut tut

Do you suggest that the two boys who live at the end of my road should be imprisoned for six months? What has the fact that they are perhaps ten or eleven years old got to do with it? Ride the bike every day naturally without a helmet, a senior policeman lives at the other end of the road but that is irrelevant.

I've had a one year and now i'm into the second year of a five year and the only tests i've ever taken are the traffic light and braking tests. Never been asked to watch any movies or do anything written or practical.

How come my two licenses were issued for ten years? Both run out next March and both were issued in 2005. Did things change and I didn't hear about it?

I've had a one year and now i'm into the second year of a five year and the only tests i've ever taken are the traffic light and braking tests. Never been asked to watch any movies or do anything written or practical.

I didn't have to do those tests either to get my one year. I think it only applies to those who don't have a licence from their own country. If you do have a licence from your own country you just need to do the colour and reaction tests, pay the fee and they'll print you out a new licence on the spot.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Don't know if what I did would still work or not. When we came back to Thailand, we both had international licenses, and before they were due to expire we went to get a Thai license, No written test, only color vision and braking. I did have to go to immigration for a residence letter. that was all.

Edited by lockman
  • Like 1

Don't know if what I did would still work or not. When we came back to Thailand, we both had international licenses, and before they were due to expire we went to get a Thai license, No written test, only color vision and braking. I did have to go to immigration for a residence letter. that was all.

Residence letter or work permit is fine. I don't see anything in that article that suggests anything has changed for people with a licence from another country.

I dont want to sound like Jeremy Clarkson here, but why dont the police just prosecute traffic violations? Theyd be up to their eye balls in funding. Pull over the occasional bus, test its brakes, bish bosh, cash! Sit in a lay by with a speed gun. Bish bosh! cash! Patrol an accident black spot for idiots overtaking on blind corners, bish bosh! cash! its literally money for old rope! Since traffic violations are almost routine, its not exactly a waste of resources. And hell, it might even save a life now and again! Why on earth do they only turn out at the end of the month and sit at a busy intersection looking for people on mopeds without helmets when the money could be rolling in every damn day! Whats the barrier here? They hate free money? They dont want to burden people?

Also, on topic and less ranty, but please for the love of god, if you want to cut down on traffic and accidents, just make a proper driving test and then prosecute people without the correct documentation. Its not like there arent 50 or so countries with perfectly functioning traffic laws and policing to learn from.

Edited by inutil

So what we will be seeing is an increase in the number of unlicensed drivers but no change in the driving behavior. It is hard to believe that anyone driving a vehicle does not know that you can not drive through a red light BUT this happens all the time. I am not speaking of blowing through the light after it just turns red, I mean those that will continue through a red light especially at three-way intersections. I applaud more rigorous drivers training but I would much rather see even the slightest hint of ENFORCEMENT! Thais know that there is no one to enforce traffic regulations so why bother obeying them if it is an inconvenience or gets in the way of the selfish, me-first, mentality that most Thai drivers possess? More of the same, just putting lipstick on a pig!

Beleive it or not you can turn on red light someplaces.In my local town they have a small cardboard sign wired to the traffic lights that says you can drive straight through a red light if safe to do so.Freaks my visiting friends out.

Forget questions, sit learners with a competent (haha) instructor around town and imprison non-licensed drivers for 6 months. Retesting shouldn't need to be every 5 years to keep the wonga trickling in... tut tut

Do you suggest that the two boys who live at the end of my road should be imprisoned for six months? What has the fact that they are perhaps ten or eleven years old got to do with it? Ride the bike every day naturally without a helmet, a senior policeman lives at the other end of the road but that is irrelevant.

Lock the parents up.

I just renewed my 5 year license a couple of weeks ago at the office near Bangchak station. I renewed it a few days before it was due to expire, as strongly recommended by someone at my embassy. Not sure why people trying to renew before expiry had problems.

The renewal process: video, standard tests (colour, braking and depth perception), payment and photo taking. There was no written test.

It took almost the whole afternoon. After you submit your documents you are given a colour coded tag which assigns you to a group of a dozen or so people and your group has to wait its turn to go through each section. That video was 45min long! It was literally a family soap opera interspersed with tidbits of driving info and etiquette.

Edited by puuchaibaa

I still don't understand why you need a license here when you can just pay the police IF they even stop you, a few hundred baht.

I've been driving here for well over a decade, and maybe twice I've been asked for a Thai licence. I doubt I paid more than $6 USD total for the crime.

When in Rome...

If they want to start enforcing the laws and really taking things seriously, so will I. In the meantime, I'm going to do what most of the Thais do. It's not like I don't know how to drive.

Once you get your Thai driving licence that permits you to do unequivocally anything you want on the Thai roads as you become the law of the road, the only time you need to concern yourself with the police is at a check point used for collecting tea money for the weekend whisky drinking.

A one year licence has to run the full year before renewal, but the 5 year licence has to be renewed before the expiry date which will be your birthday. If you go late you will get a bollocking as they will have to make it for 6 years instead of 5, One of TV's admin has a six year licence as I do. we were both suitabled chastised!!

Are you sure? I've been told I have to wait for my 5 year licence to expire before I can renew it?

There was a thread in the Chiangmai forum a few years back on this issue, and failing a search you could PM

Tywais who will verify this.

I just renewed my 5 year driving licence in Bkk a week ago. Old one would have expired in August.

The 1 year one needed to be expired before you could renew. The 5 year one can be renewed 3 months before it expires. This the third 5 year licence for me.

Once time I renewed a week late they indeed told me off and gave me one that was valid for almost 6 years. If I remember correctly I paid 100bath fine :)

Edited by brianinbangkok

I still don't understand why you need a license here when you can just pay the police IF they even stop you, a few hundred baht.

I've been driving here for well over a decade, and maybe twice I've been asked for a Thai licence. I doubt I paid more than $6 USD total for the crime.

When in Rome...

If they want to start enforcing the laws and really taking things seriously, so will I. In the meantime, I'm going to do what most of the Thais do. It's not like I don't know how to drive.

You're probably right but for me, I try to tick as may boxes as possible to be "right", especially where the insurance s concerned. As a farang, I might already have a strike against me so I don't want to give 'em a freebie if I can help it.

Any actual reports after 2 June?

Asked the Mrs. to stop at LTO yesterday and inquire for me as my first 1 year probation license ends on 7 June and I want to get 5-year.

The LTO lady told her new procedures have been put in place, and I would need to repeat all the steps I took to get the initial 1 year license, including residence letter from Immigration and tests. Not clear if this includes getting a medical letter again, and if by tests she just mean color and reaction. I have a US license so I didn't take a written exam when getting my 1 year. We'll see how this goes.

Asked the Mrs. to stop at LTO yesterday and inquire for me as my first 1 year probation license ends on 7 June and I want to get 5-year.

The LTO lady told her new procedures have been put in place, and I would need to repeat all the steps I took to get the initial 1 year license, including residence letter from Immigration and tests. Not clear if this includes getting a medical letter again, and if by tests she just mean color and reaction. I have a US license so I didn't take a written exam when getting my 1 year. We'll see how this goes.

I went to Mo-Chit today to get my Thailand driving license (This is my first one, valid for a year). I have an India driving license and also an International driving permit. I wanted to get licenses to drive a motor car as well as a motor cycle (geared). The information was on second floor. The guy could speak decent English and explained me that if I want licenses for a car as well as for a bike, then I need to prepare 2 sets of documents....the documents he asked me are as follows..

Photocopy of the passport (Front, last, visa page)

Photocopy of the Work Permit (Front page where there is Photo and pages that are filled...(dont know what it says till date as the script is Thai)

Photocopy of my India License (Front n back)

Photcopy of my International Driving Permit (Pages where there is photo, where the permit says what u can drive and what u can not, translation page in English). I think since I flaunted it he asked for a photocopy of the same...I dont think it is necessary at all.

Medical Certificate (I did not have one so the chap at information told me to go out and ask any motorcycle taxi and they will help. The Moxi promptly took me to the medic, who verified the documents and asked me if I am perfectly fit for which I answered in affirmative and asked me, showing two pens which are red and green in colour, what colour they are...i remembered my nursery school days and answered correctly. He took THB 80 and issued the certificate..the Moxi ride cost me another THB 80 for up n down)

Armed with all above (2 sets(Only if you want to drive 2 diff. vehicles) photocopied at ground floor and self attested) again approached the information counter at second floor. He verified all the documents and gave me a token. There are separate counters for foreigners. On being called my documets were once again verified and then few slips got attached to the bunch then I was asked to go to 3rd floor for "Physical"!!!! test. On 3rd floor again I was given a token and made to sit for about 15 minutes. There was a video informing the candidates (both in Thai and English) what the tests, we were about to undergo is all about.

Then on being called I went for the tests...there is no separate special treatment for forigners here....

The first test is for colour blindness...a lady keet pressing a sort of remote control the kids use to play and the traffic signal lights up..showing diff colours randomly and you have to call the colour correctly. I said, Red...Red...Amber...green...Amber...green. The lady made me sit in a separate place while letting others go. After a few minutes another gentleman from Korea joined me when the world went about its business around us. After making us, sweat for few minutes...she grandly declared we failed the test.!!! We both were shocked as we knew we called the colours correctly. She said she will give us one more chance (I was listening in the mean time the Thai calling the colours...Red...Red...Yellow..Green..Yellow..Red..which made me realise what the issue was). I told my other partner in crime, next time dont say Amber or Orange...say...yellow..he too got the drift. In the second attempt we both passed the test with flying COLOURS. The lady looked at both of us disapprovingly and scolded us...there is not Amber or Ornage in Thailand...IT IS YELLOW.

The seond test was for depth perception (where u play with a joystick and match a pole which is about 6-8 inches in height and about 1/2 inch in thickness which slides at about 6 inches distance against a pole which is stationary. If you can match the poles within an inch of each other, you pass. The distance from where you sit the poles are about 10 feet approx. I passed this as well without any drama.

The third test was for your speed of reaction. You sit on a stool and in front of you on the floor, is a simulator with a brake and an accelerator. As you step on the accelerator, you should watch for a red light to glow on the panel in front of you. As soon as the red light, lights up you need to hit the brake. If you could react within 0.75 seconds (that is 750 milliseconds) you pass. I did. There was a girl in front of me in the queue. She tried and tried for almost 3-4 minutes and could not get it right!!! I told her.....If you want to travel in a car...you better be sitting next to me...probably this comment scared her (hvg to sit with me in the car) and she passed the test in the very next try.

The fourth one is for your wide angle vision (what they call 75 deg vision...which is your ability to see through the corner of your eyes). You are asked to press your nose to a fixture and there are 3 small LEDs (What else...Red...Green..and YELLOW only) on both sides of your face. The lady operates a remote and one of the colours lights up...you have to call the colour correctly. I was going well on my left side, where actually my vision is bad..since I had an industrial accident and lost part of the vision on my left eye...Red..Green..Green...Red..YELLOW....YELLOW). On the right side I was Red..Red...YELLOW...RED...then NOTHING..i knew the lady pressed a button but actually i could not see anything...so I said...Green..then...Red..Red..YELLOW....nothing.....i said Green. So I passed the test. (Actually I think they have to change the green LED on the right as it was emitting very low light or probably the voltage is low??) and most of the people were fumbling and some of them are getting smarter..LoL

After I came out of the test rig!!! I was agains asked to go to second floor from third and collect the token again. Which I did and when my number was called went and presented the test results to the officer who took a photograph and collected the license fee (THB 205 for motor car + THB 155 for Motor Cycle) and gave me the licenses. The THB 205 has got 2 receipts...one for THB 100 and another for THB 105 and the THB 155 has got 2 receipts..one for THB 100 another for THB 55. (I feel like totally uneducated in this place!!!!).

I eneterd the building at 10 am and I was out with 2 licences (they give 2 separate licenses!!!) by 11:30. So, it took me all of 1 1/2 hrs...including understanding the procedures, go to the medic and back, wait after failed test to get my licenses.

Expenses...THB 80 for medic, THB 80 for Moxi, THB 20 for photcopying, THB 360 for the licenses and my pride...having failed in any test for the first time in my life and not knowing there is no amber or orange in signals in Thailand but only YELLOW.

I went to Mo-Chit today to get my Thailand driving license (This is my first one, valid for a year). I have an India driving license and also an International driving permit. I wanted to get licenses to drive a motor car as well as a motor cycle (geared). The information was on second floor. The guy could speak decent English and explained me that if I want licenses for a car as well as for a bike, then I need to prepare 2 sets of documents....the documents he asked me are as follows..

Photocopy of the passport (Front, last, visa page)

Photocopy of the Work Permit (Front page where there is Photo and pages that are filled...(dont know what it says till date as the script is Thai)

Photocopy of my India License (Front n back)

Photcopy of my International Driving Permit (Pages where there is photo, where the permit says what u can drive and what u can not, translation page in English). I think since I flaunted it he asked for a photocopy of the same...I dont think it is necessary at all.

Medical Certificate (I did not have one so the chap at information told me to go out and ask any motorcycle taxi and they will help. The Moxi promptly took me to the medic, who verified the documents and asked me if I am perfectly fit for which I answered in affirmative and asked me, showing two pens which are red and green in colour, what colour they are...i remembered my nursery school days and answered correctly. He took THB 80 and issued the certificate..the Moxi ride cost me another THB 80 for up n down)

Armed with all above (2 sets(Only if you want to drive 2 diff. vehicles) photocopied at ground floor and self attested) again approached the information counter at second floor. He verified all the documents and gave me a token. There are separate counters for foreigners. On being called my documets were once again verified and then few slips got attached to the bunch then I was asked to go to 3rd floor for "Physical"!!!! test. On 3rd floor again I was given a token and made to sit for about 15 minutes. There was a video informing the candidates (both in Thai and English) what the tests, we were about to undergo is all about.

Then on being called I went for the tests...there is no separate special treatment for forigners here....

The first test is for colour blindness...a lady keet pressing a sort of remote control the kids use to play and the traffic signal lights up..showing diff colours randomly and you have to call the colour correctly. I said, Red...Red...Amber...green...Amber...green. The lady made me sit in a separate place while letting others go. After a few minutes another gentleman from Korea joined me when the world went about its business around us. After making us, sweat for few minutes...she grandly declared we failed the test.!!! We both were shocked as we knew we called the colours correctly. She said she will give us one more chance (I was listening in the mean time the Thai calling the colours...Red...Red...Yellow..Green..Yellow..Red..which made me realise what the issue was). I told my other partner in crime, next time dont say Amber or Orange...say...yellow..he too got the drift. In the second attempt we both passed the test with flying COLOURS. The lady looked at both of us disapprovingly and scolded us...there is not Amber or Ornage in Thailand...IT IS YELLOW.

The seond test was for depth perception (where u play with a joystick and match a pole which is about 6-8 inches in height and about 1/2 inch in thickness which slides at about 6 inches distance against a pole which is stationary. If you can match the poles within an inch of each other, you pass. The distance from where you sit the poles are about 10 feet approx. I passed this as well without any drama.

The third test was for your speed of reaction. You sit on a stool and in front of you on the floor, is a simulator with a brake and an accelerator. As you step on the accelerator, you should watch for a red light to glow on the panel in front of you. As soon as the red light, lights up you need to hit the brake. If you could react within 0.75 seconds (that is 750 milliseconds) you pass. I did. There was a girl in front of me in the queue. She tried and tried for almost 3-4 minutes and could not get it right!!! I told her.....If you want to travel in a car...you better be sitting next to me...probably this comment scared her (hvg to sit with me in the car) and she passed the test in the very next try.

The fourth one is for your wide angle vision (what they call 75 deg vision...which is your ability to see through the corner of your eyes). You are asked to press your nose to a fixture and there are 3 small LEDs (What else...Red...Green..and YELLOW only) on both sides of your face. The lady operates a remote and one of the colours lights up...you have to call the colour correctly. I was going well on my left side, where actually my vision is bad..since I had an industrial accident and lost part of the vision on my left eye...Red..Green..Green...Red..YELLOW....YELLOW). On the right side I was Red..Red...YELLOW...RED...then NOTHING..i knew the lady pressed a button but actually i could not see anything...so I said...Green..then...Red..Red..YELLOW....nothing.....i said Green. So I passed the test. (Actually I think they have to change the green LED on the right as it was emitting very low light or probably the voltage is low??) and most of the people were fumbling and some of them are getting smarter..LoL

After I came out of the test rig!!! I was agains asked to go to second floor from third and collect the token again. Which I did and when my number was called went and presented the test results to the officer who took a photograph and collected the license fee (THB 205 for motor car + THB 155 for Motor Cycle) and gave me the licenses. The THB 205 has got 2 receipts...one for THB 100 and another for THB 105 and the THB 155 has got 2 receipts..one for THB 100 another for THB 55. (I feel like totally uneducated in this place!!!!).

I eneterd the building at 10 am and I was out with 2 licences (they give 2 separate licenses!!!) by 11:30. So, it took me all of 1 1/2 hrs...including understanding the procedures, go to the medic and back, wait after failed test to get my licenses.

Expenses...THB 80 for medic, THB 80 for Moxi, THB 20 for photcopying, THB 360 for the licenses and my pride...having failed in any test for the first time in my life and not knowing there is no amber or orange in signals in Thailand but only YELLOW.

Thanks, Krishna. It seems the process is the same, and no written exam given your licenses from outside Thailand. Cheers, J.

all said and done , about 98% of western euro drivers would pass a thai driving test { 100% by paying an xtra 500b} ,........about 2% of thais would pass a western euro test,.............says it all !

Did it today in Chiang Mai.

Failed the new test, got 40 out of 50. Needed 45. Was told to go back tomorrow 10am and/or 1pm for additional attempts to pass the test.

I was handed English study material before the test. It was pretty Good for the most part. But it felt like Google translate.

Same with the test. Majority of the questions were good. But some of them were poorly translated.

After test I was shown where I was wrong including the correct answer.

Some of those were hilarious. You have to go there and see it to believe it.

Either way, I'm glad they have stuff in English and I'm confident that I will pass tomorrow.

Everyone that was there taking the test in English got around 30 / 50 and failed worse than me.

I will try to point out the bad translation to the officers tomorrow. But i think they will ignore me because they will think I'm trying to get help during the test.

Either way, I have to try to forget all the rules. Because following the rules on the roads of Thailand will lead to death. Stopping to let pedestrians walk? I'm not gonna do that until I want to have people crashing behind me again. ;)

P's. It was lovely spending time with all the Thai people in the classroom today, they are really adorable lovely polite positive cute people. Reminded me of why I love Thailand in the first place.

P's. War tanks are allowed to drive on public roads in Thailand, vehicles without windshield's are not.. I wonder how many motorbikes have windshields and where I can find a war tank.

I actually got the above question right. I have a 6th sense for weird questions: )

however I must remember that im not allowed to make u-turns in intersections.

Did it today in Chiang Mai.

Failed the new test, got 40 out of 50. Needed 45. Was told to go back tomorrow 10am and/or 1pm for additional attempts to pass the test.

I was handed English study material before the test. It was pretty Good for the most part. But it felt like Google translate.

Same with the test. Majority of the questions were good. But some of them were poorly translated.

After test I was shown where I was wrong including the correct answer.

Some of those were hilarious. You have to go there and see it to believe it.

Either way, I'm glad they have stuff in English and I'm confident that I will pass tomorrow.

Everyone that was there taking the test in English got around 30 / 50 and failed worse than me.

I will try to point out the bad translation to the officers tomorrow. But i think they will ignore me because they will think I'm trying to get help during the test.

Either way, I have to try to forget all the rules. Because following the rules on the roads of Thailand will lead to death. Stopping to let pedestrians walk? I'm not gonna do that until I want to have people crashing behind me again. wink.png

P's. It was lovely spending time with all the Thai people in the classroom today, they are really adorable lovely polite positive cute people. Reminded me of why I love Thailand in the first place.

Was this a renewal, or your first time getting a Thai license? Do you have a foreign license already? Tx., J