Road to Bangkok

jollyrog

Has anyone driven from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and return since the military has been in control of the country using police power through Martial Law ?

My interest concerns Hwy's 11 to Lampang and #1 to Nakhon Sawan and specifically the police check points en-route.

My wife and I had our annual trip to her family home in Nakhon Sawan planned when Martial Law was declared and I postponed it until the political situation settled.

My concern is being restrained at a police check point and forced to unload the car which has taken my wife all day to load with large clothing bags, food stuffs, analog TV's that she spends an entire year collecting for 8 siblings and spouses, many nieces, nephews etc..........every cubic foot in the car is packed tight.

To unload and reload at every check point is not something I want to do. It has not been a problem over the past ten years.......

You say, why not just drive down in an empty car this year ? That is not even a remote possibility as the wife would 'lose face' and we would undoubtedly be 'tarred and feathered'. You see my wife is the only one in the family to have "struck it rich" and is expected to share. They line the path as we arrive applauding.

I don't mind as the agreement is........ no-one comes to Chiang Mai.

Applicable in-put requested........

• Like 1