Back Up – Not Verified!

Beachcomber

OK so this may be old news to everyone except me, but I only recently found out the hard way so thought I would pass it on in case anyone else has the same problem.

I have been doing regular backups, like one should, with never any problem until recently when I started getting “Verified failure” notices.

I checked the back up files and they all seemed to be OK so couldn’t figure it out till I took a close look at the “SyncBack” log and noticed all the “failures” were MP3 files that wifie had down loaded that had Thai names.

The Back-Up program couldn’t recognize Thai fonts. Renaming the files with English solved the problem.

Hopes this helps someone.

:o

Beachcomber.

I've had the problem with zip files in the past with Thai names. Curious as if you have the latest version of SyncBack because their website says this.

"SyncBackSE stores filenames in Unicode format in Zip files. This allows it to store filenames in many different languages in the same Zip file. Most Zip programs, including WinZip and the Zip functionality in Windows Explorer, are not Unicode aware. Because of this when you view the Zip file using those 3rd party programs they may show corrupted or invalid filenames for non-English filenames. However, if you use SyncBackSE itself to restore or view the files then the correct filename will be used."

I use Syncback too.( version 3.2.40 ( th-TH).and have had some problems with certain files not getting backed up.

however it wasn't because of Thai fonts ( lots of files named with Thai fonts get backed up ok )

I found the problem to be with permisions of the file..if you right click on the ones that won't back up you may well see (under properties) that it says this file comes from another machine and is protected ( or something like that can't remember the exact wording) anyway there's a check box to unprotect the file..unprotect it and try Syncback again...worked for 99% of my files.