New darkside French Bistro

prk888

Tried this place out of interest from this thread - and it's not too far from our home. For what it is worth, my partner had the 'beef stew' was tasty but pretty much like I would have expected back home in West Yorkshire ... no French influence at all ... the stock was way too thin and runny for boeuf bourguignon. I had the pork chop .... and as mentioned else where it was OK and the sauce tasty. Very cheap though .... but the portion sizes were small .... I've never had a smaller or thinner pork chop.

Service was fine and friendly .... but found it impossible to place an order for dessert as the two girls were busy serving and chatting to a table with about 8 people on, and we seem to be forgotten.

Lack of aircon was no great issue, but seeing the owner emerging from the toilet doing his flies up (and hence I deduce not washing his hands) and the propensity of inside smoking ensure I will not return in a hurry

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent porc kidneys and cooked-just-right good-sized-portions of duck last night. Country pate still delicious and now B110 for 3 slices. About 20 clients including several French people during the early evening despite no air-con, some French guys smoking outside, good value portions and sometime open flies. Frogs legs and snails may be on the menu quite soon the owner K Weena informed us.

Took new friends there tonight and as promised earlier this week frogs' legs now available at B230 for main course - well prepared and goodsized. 6 adults and 3 young kids atewell for under B2000, so still great value in my view. The legs, pate, glazed duck, pasta, grilled prawns, pork escalope, porc kidneys in mustard sauce and yet again six French customers (always a good sign in my view). Unlike one poster above we have never been critical of portion size happily

• 2 weeks later...

if you M.Feline had read the thread and referred to #87 I stated I have no commercial interest at all in this Bistro. It's simply a good 'local' for me as is Aroi. No reason for me to post any photos of venue or meals therefore.

If you want to see then I suggest you go visit and then you can make the pic posts because as you say "..... a 1000 words"

Had to use the Oxford dictionary to understand 'spruiking' and now see it's antipodean slang for speaking in public or showmanship. Not quite erudite but hey ho, that's antipodeans for you.

if you M.Feline had read the thread and referred to #87 I stated I have no commercial interest at all in this Bistro. It's simply a good 'local' for me as is Aroi. No reason for me to post any photos of venue or meals therefore.

If you want to see then I suggest you go visit and then you can make the pic posts because as you say "..... a 1000 words"

Had to use the Oxford dictionary to understand 'spruiking' and now see it's antipodean slang for speaking in public or showmanship. Not quite erudite but hey ho, that's antipodeans for you.

Seriously m8 if your going to comment on my post(s) make sure you click my quote button so i have the right of reply.

Its bloody obvious that your a ''regular customer'' at this bistro & you have posted many times about different meals you ate & also how delicous each meal was....take your camera or phone,take a few pixs & then post them for everyone to see....it can't be that difficult! xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

• 1 month later...

the owner has found the local goat cheese supplier and now does a nice warm goat's cheese salad

Yes Mr Feline it's still my local and seems always doing good business now ............ and I still wont post photos. Go and find out for yourself

• 11 months later...

I tried the Sunday buffet at Aroi and was pleased with it. The owner is very hands-on and obviously very attentive to details, which makes a nice change in Thailand. Nice to see someone taking the trouble to select ripe tomatoes for the salads, and not just using the first slightly pink one that came to hand.

Some dishes tasted exactly as I was expecting and some tasted quite original, which I suppose is what you want in a buffet. Certainly nothing I tasted was in any way unpleasant and I had a second go at quite a few of the things on offer, several of which I would happily eat any day.

Cooking style was an interesting mix of various European countries, which I suppose is what one might expect from a Belgian owner in Thailand.

For 259B (beers from around 60B) I thought it was good value. Service was good though the waitresses did have a tendency to remove my empty plate before I had finished chewing. This is certainly not the only place here where that happens though.

I will be trying their mussels evening soon. Apparently they will also be doing a pasta and pizza evening, and I'm sure it wont be the last time I try the Sunday buffet either.

Aroi has a new charming Belgian Manager who is also a chef. We rarely see the 2 Belgian owners these days so he must be doing something correctly.

Can I suggest to Kitten Kong (and others) that he try the Wednesday buffet. Price includes an aperitif and home made desserts. Most Wednesdays there are normally over 60 covers and one evening at 6.30pm it was full (70+ diners) so I and my young family went away disappointed.

Interesting & various salad bar with great choice of freshly cooked dishes which are constantly being refreshed so nothing gets overheated.

At B295 it has to be the absolute best value for really good food in town

Please try to go a little later (say about 7.30pm) so we are not turned away again !

Can i also recommend the Friday mussel buffet. About 6 different sauces and indefatigable supply it seems.