Considering trying to live/work in Thailand, need advice on living costs/work options

neil1280

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@charles my stuff will be shipped from the uk. money will be transferred from my paypal to my bank account and transferred to credit card, isp will be from a friends place, never much of an issue, i will only need around 2 hours every weekend, and whats wrong with the 60 day visa? why 29 days?

Using your credit card will only hurt your funds more over. You'll be hit with non sterling transaction fee and if you wanted to draw cash, as you will have to, you'll be hit with cash advance fee on top of that every time.

There are far too many points you have too learn to mention in a post and would suggest you visit regularly until you understand the lay of the land.

I think the most important point is don't go under the radar. Could be a ฿20000 fine and a stint in the Bangkok Hilton until you can get someone to buy you a flight out, just not worth it.

But have fun whatever your doing.

@marko kok prong why do I justify myself I have no idea, yes there are a few hot Thai women... yes I have slept with 2 ok..and didnt pay, truth be told there is just something about them i find gross which i dont want to say and insult anyone. and why would I suddenly change my mind? what do they do that so fantastic that I would change my mind they cant do anything other women cant. thats usually the words of not very attractive men who couldnt pull their own thumb back home, and get a cute little thai girl and then think they are a legend.

I'm into blondes and fair skin always have been.. I'm mad for scandinavian women and I would have one coming to visit me I met last year, but this has really nothing to do with my post. I have read all i need to read on this please stick to the topic or not

Neil,no there is nothing they can do that other women can't,i agree,i am not an old beer bellied falang myself[well not yet ], ,i too have know the delights of scandinavian women,i had girlfreind from norway once,and a dane,finn and swede,whilst i was backpacking,a long time ago,my thing is a thai lady gives a lot more respect to her husband than i have found in western women,also the level of care they give is much higher,now i realise you are a younger guy,and therefore have been raised with the notion that a woman does not have to look after you or care for you ,this was my experience with my ex wife in Australia,who spent most of her day drinking coffee with her friends and yelled at me when i got home after a very hard days,physical work,it was my turn to cook the dinner,a thai wife would never do that,i don't know what grosses you out about them,i have found them,to always smell good,are very clean,and unlike western women don't run to fat in their 30's,if i sounded confrontational i apologise,but i do wonder with the whole world your lobster ,why Thailand,if you do not have a tilac here.

• Like 1

Ok im done with this now... i used this forum last year and it had plenty of advice, now its douchebags that just want to slander and make childish fun..

yeah those guys have since departed, this may sound like an odd concept but maybe they CHOSE to leave after being there a few months was enough, this is not a permanent arrangement i am going for 5 or 6 months so <deleted> would i need a "shedful" of money... pah..

dreaming my ass! I achieve anything I want in life. I sense jealousy that I could come to the country you guys have to work hard to stay in and i could come to the place and nip around different parts of the country and remain un noticed while earning money remotely very very easily through uk channels. I have already spoken to people i know who have been there, I know it's doable!! I came here merely to find out if there are other channels or options.. whether i just might be able to get a w/p or working visa and for advise on the costs of living.

You asked for advice,you did not like the advice you got,then started insulting other members,i think mate it would probably be better if you follow your own advice and don't post on here again,most members on this forum like funny or witty replies,that is what keeps it good,dumb insults don't,and unfortunatley you have provided little wit in your posts.

• Like 1

Oh right i didnt realise i was supposed to be funny... well i didn't see what they were saying as one bit funny someone trying to make me look silly by telling me im a dreamer and one trying to say ive slept with men... hilarious...

"advanced members" advanced asperger's more like

btw i didnt get advice, just people trying to flame an idea, if people dont like the idea of me coming there and not applying for a work permit etc they should have just said so and not just deliberately been just obnoxious

Ok im done with this now... i used this forum last year and it had plenty of advice, now its douchebags that just want to slander and make childish fun..

yeah those guys have since departed, this may sound like an odd concept but maybe they CHOSE to leave after being there a few months was enough, this is not a permanent arrangement i am going for 5 or 6 months so <deleted> would i need a "shedful" of money... pah..

dreaming my ass! I achieve anything I want in life. I sense jealousy that I could come to the country you guys have to work hard to stay in and i could come to the place and nip around different parts of the country and remain un noticed while earning money remotely very very easily through uk channels. I have already spoken to people i know who have been there, I know it's doable!! I came here merely to find out if there are other channels or options.. whether i just might be able to get a w/p or working visa and for advise on the costs of living.

Wow, post #34 too close to the bone for you was it?

Best you stay in the Uk then, best of luck, must be great working on the market as a barrow boy, your name aint Dagenham Dave is it?

what market would that be?? im from Belfast, i sell on ebay not a market like some gypsy

Wow, post #34 too close to the bone for you was it?

Best you stay in the Uk then, best of luck, must be great working on the market as a barrow boy, your name aint Dagenham Dave is it?

what market would that be?? im from Belfast, i sell on ebay not a market like some gypsy

How are your ears,steam issuing forth yet,don't smash that keyboard,"jai yen,old chap jai yen.

I think you may be a bit naive about Thailand...good luck with your adventure...

way way way naive

but come anyways....because even if you don't have a job, there are so many foreigners here who all chip in to take care of those less fortunate until they get on their feet. So, don't wait....come now. You can always rely on a foreigner to pick up the first tab. Cheers.

Foreigners helping others less fortunate????? Don't you mean help those less intelligent who put themselves into predicaments? BTW where are these foreigners found in case I fall on my face???

Will let others address all the rest, I will only address eBay .

Firstly, very high chance your account will be banned within the first few months you start to log in from Thailand.

They will do this for a number of reasons including what they call is "fraud" because you are UK account but logging in from Thailand.

They will ask you for all the invoices and then still shut it down.

Your second problem is PayPal , which will do the exact, limit the account. However be warned they will do it when you have a large sum.

Here is what you must do if you want to keep the income .

1.You need a computer in UK which you access via remote control and never ever log into your account from Thailand . Same for paypal.

2. Open another account while you in UK but do not operate it as yet.

3. Once in Thailand open a Thai account for both eBay and PayPal .

Keep the 2 new ones as back ups, should you be closed.

Do not buy or make too much stock, you may end up with all the stock but no market to sell.

Look into other avenues to sell, such as your own website, Gumtree in oz, ioffer and loads of others .

Good luck

• Like 1

DON'T, explore Cambodia, much easier and a business building future.

In TH you need 2 Million baht, 4 Thai workers (that will be useless), just to get a work permit,

and Thais own 51%, you 49% ( but you invest 100%)

Cambodia, $1000 in the Cambodia bank and you can open a ONE-MAN business.

Little extra and you can work and do what you want.

Have a look:

http://www.b2b-cambodia.com/

Edited by ronthai
  • Like 1

Everybody's getting a bit overexcited here. You are doing what hundreds of people come and do here every year with no problem so go for it.

They've talked about cracking down on visas but that's not yet and they've talked about it before with nothing happening. Apply for a double entry tourist visa in UK and you'll be sorted.

If you've got 3-4k plus extra from ebay that's a pretty good amount to keep you going. Yes there are charges for taking money out here on a card, but big deal, if you are in a secure apartment, take out a reasonable amount each time and stash it there then it won't add up to much.

Not now but I've operated ebay and paypal from here and UK in the past, they were never been banned, though I've heard it can happen. There are loads of people selling stuff on ebay etc so don't worry about working visas etc, not if you are here just for 5-6 months. It's a uk business as you've made clear, you're just keeping it operating while you are here. Forget about the other working options you mentioned though as that is risky.

You can find a half decent apartment, studio room, for 12k a month.

And as for not liking Thai women, some people don't and enjoy it here so not sure why that's getting picked up on. Granted they are mainly Western women but they still like it here.

Are you naive? Don't know about that but aren't most people when they are fairly new to a country. That's part of the fun and learning. If it doesn't work out you go home a bit earlier. That's it....

• Like 1

If people are working illegaly they should not be dismissed as borderline criminals, they are full blown criminals, they are breaking the law.

If you are working in Thailand without the correct visa and work permit, you are breaking the law.

My contempt is not concealed (barely or not), why do you think that I should show respect to a criminal who thinks that they are better than law abiding citizens so the rules should not count for them.

Strictly by the letter of the law, you're right but since when is the law anything but a suggestion in this country?

When a guy can buy his way out of a drink/drive rap with a 500 THB note or hand over a few grand to be allowed to go on his way with a blister pack of Xanax, is it any wonder people come over and work online as writers, traders, freelancers etc?

Not all businesses require manpower so the current rules are archaic. They'll change in time, I'm sure but I think some people here are just pissed at the fact that some people can just make money by opening up a laptop from the comfort of their apartment or a local coffee shop with wi-fi. I don't know if it's because some of the complainers have spent a fortune on workshy local employees or strapped themselves up with Thai shareholders but the ferocity of their bitching about the online nomads speaks volumes.

• Like 1

"Yer they have charges on taking out money here...but big deal."

It is a big deal when you only have £4000 with eBay income stretched out over 6 months. The card charges will be over £200 to draw that and you'll wish you had that come the end.

All the fun for me at the start was cracking each hurdle and problem as I found it. Your only here for a finite time before going home for more funds. Draw out £1500 in 50s to bring and the rest in travellers cheques at 1.5%. Use the card to pay the digs and let the eBay funds pay the card off.

Once you start feeding and watering a chick, which you will, probably got 3/4 months in ya.

Be a riot...

Everybody's getting a bit overexcited here. You are doing what hundreds of people come and do here every year with no problem so go for it.

They've talked about cracking down on visas but that's not yet and they've talked about it before with nothing happening. Apply for a double entry tourist visa in UK and you'll be sorted.

If you've got 3-4k plus extra from ebay that's a pretty good amount to keep you going. Yes there are charges for taking money out here on a card, but big deal, if you are in a secure apartment, take out a reasonable amount each time and stash it there then it won't add up to much.

Not now but I've operated ebay and paypal from here and UK in the past, they were never been banned, though I've heard it can happen. There are loads of people selling stuff on ebay etc so don't worry about working visas etc, not if you are here just for 5-6 months. It's a uk business as you've made clear, you're just keeping it operating while you are here. Forget about the other working options you mentioned though as that is risky.

You can find a half decent apartment, studio room, for 12k a month.

And as for not liking Thai women, some people don't and enjoy it here so not sure why that's getting picked up on. Granted they are mainly Western women but they still like it here.

Are you naive? Don't know about that but aren't most people when they are fairly new to a country. That's part of the fun and learning. If it doesn't work out you go home a bit earlier. That's it....

Not only talked about it done it. People on the Ranong run are being warned they will be refused, My mate has gone back to Australia. If you thing you can live under the radar, forget it. A guy I know who has opened a gym has already been warned about 2 of their "friends" by the army and police.

@charles my stuff will be shipped from the uk. money will be transferred from my paypal to my bank account and transferred to credit card, isp will be from a friends place, never much of an issue, i will only need around 2 hours every weekend,

so if 2 hours a work how do you propose you get a WP then ?....you don't qualify

He qualifies as a dreamer though

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

@ Cypress Hill,

The law is the law, neither myself, the law abiding citizens on this board nor the RTP give a damn if you think that it is archaic or not.

The reason that why people complain is that we are law abiding and we have to bend over backwards to secure our visas and work permits every year.

At the other end of the (evolutionary) scale you have scum who will bend every rule and break laws for there own means and with no intention of trying to go legit.

You are trying to say that if someone else breaks the law then everyone has the right to break the law.

What kind of an updragging did you have?

In the words of Edward Burke "In order for evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing."

@ notforme,

You said the following “You are doing what hundreds of people come and do here every year with no problem so go for it.”

So you are actually suggesting (in fact encouraging) that the OP should break the law.

Further to that you actually openly admit on a public forum to breaking the law when you were in Thailand before (are you absolutely off your rocker)?

If either of you two numpties want to stay on this board as members, I suggest that you read the board rules and engage you brain before posting.

• Like 1

Ok so I am a bit green when it comes to the talk of visas.. I wasn't intending on getting a visa and thought i could sneak under the radar, unless a job opportunity came along that would allow me to be eligible for a visa

You are getting 'visa' and 'work permit' confused.

If you dont get a visa, which if you like is a permission to stay, then you have to leave the country after 30 days. You need a work permit to legally carry out ANY type of work, paid or unpaid.

For your proposed stay I would suggest a double entry tourist visa, this will enable you to stay 60 days per entry plus it can be extended by 30 days giving you 90 days per entry, so you do a border run after 90 days and your good for the next 90 unless you leave of course before that ends.

You can get the visa from Cardiff, Birmingham or Hull Thai Consulates.

How did you stay 8 weeks previously without a visa ?

"You are getting 'visa' and 'work permit' confused."

"If you dont get a visa, which if you like is a permission to stay ..."

And you are confusing a visa with permission to stay or in some cases an extension of stay. A visa is given by an embassy or consulate and is, if you like, an introduction to the Immigrations officer at your point of entry. Permission to enter and permission to stay in Thailand is (or is not) granted by immigrations. In the case of a single entry visa, once permission to enter and stay is granted, the visa becomes of historical interest only. Your status and permitted length of stay is totally dependent on the stamp you get from immigrations.

Edited by Suradit69

Jesus, your'e up early Mr. Toad.

The quest to learn from social misfits and chavs on how to break the law or go on internet dates is just too damn exciting.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 1