TOT routing

crabdog

My TOT Fiber 2U service is actually pretty good. It's great for email, browsing and streaming services like youtube and hulu work well. It is however terrible for gaming because of the poor international routing. What I find strange though is that the routing seems to change periodically. I have a small number of servers on my Steam favorites list (currently 9 servers) in the UK, US and Australia. Today the servers' ping times from lowest to highest are in this order: Aus, UK, US. Yesterday it was US, UK, Aus. Seems to change at random, sometimes staying the same for weeks and sometimes changing on a daily basis.

When I had TRUE adsl the order stayed pretty much the same and on my work's wifi the order is totally consistent. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have TOT and the pings are all over the place. I'm not a gamer, so it's more of a nerdy fascination thing with me. As long as my Hulu & Netflix and the like work, life's OK with me. When you say on True the ping order stayed the same, were they good, or badish, but consistent? I believe they all utilize the same leased lines from CAT for International traffic so i'm somewhere surprised there is a difference. Your work connection is probably on a fixed VPN to a Singapore server which probably what creates that stability

Edited by GinBoy2

TOT is terrible for gaming. If it's available where you are, try 3BB - I had a much better experience with them. You could also try a service like www.wtfast.com which I did use for a while. It has a month long free trial so you can see if it improves your ping.

@GinBoy2 the pings on True are good and they are consistent.

@Bardeh I actually have a WTFast subscription and it used to work quite well but suddenly it stopped making any difference. 3BB and True do not service my area for some reason which I think is pretty strange being on the outskirts of BKK (Ban Kruay, Sai Noi, Nonthaburi).

TOT has the worst possible routing ever.

Kansas, Mo, USA routes via London, UK - > USA

Eastern europe routes via USA - EU while they have operational UK direct link

Singapore has very high ping compared to True / Cat

So they choose worst way to route for all networks except East side of USA. Simply unbeliveable.