7-day Internet Sim for visitor?

Is there a Data Sim available for tourist that is only valid for 7 days and gives sufficient internet use, at least 400 MB total?

I was looking at the DTAC Happy Internet Sim but it is described as an "add-on" which I think means you must have pre-existing account to add it. I don't have any pre-existing account with any company in Thailand. Just want 7 days of internet use, doesn't matter whether 3G or EDGE.

Thanks for any recommendations.

TuneTalk

http://th.tunetalk.com/services/tunenetsim

TuneTalk is a virtual operator. It does not have a network & will automatically roam to another carrier's network. I manually set the carrier to TOT 3G because it seems the data usage fees are cheaper than being on other carriers. Short-term data subscription plans are available, but I never bother with these. I always top up 500 baht, which will extends the card expiration by 3 months. I am certain there are cons/negatives for using TuneTalk, but as a tourist I prefer it over other carriers.

• Like 1

Thanks. Seems like 299 baht is the going rate for 7 days of internet, which seems too expensive considering that it only costs a little bit more to get 30 days. Is there a cheaper 7-day SIM?

Most of the 299 tourist SIMs (VAT is included) offer bundled voice and data; typically 100 minutes of local calling, and 1 GB of data. When one values the SIM at 50 baht, the 100 min at 100 baht and the 1 GB of data over 1 week at 199, they may represent a value.

Or you can just buy any SIM for 50 baht and then layer on the mobile data plan which meets your usage/budgetary requirements. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of different mobile data plans all with different characteristics: duration, volume, speed, time, etc.

At a minimum you're probably looking at 50 baht for a SIM and 214 baht (with 7% VAT) for a decent ( 1 GB unlimited FuP 384 Kbps ) mobile data plan. So 264 baht vs. 299 baht, and 100 minutes of calling. seems like a decent value?

Edited by lomatopo

TuneTalk is a virtual operator.

Yes, Tune Talk is a Malaysian MVNO reselling services in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. They are part of Tony Fernandes' AirASia empire. Here in Thailand I believe their only (single) partner is TOT. TOT is a state agency with a 3G/2100 MHz 3G voice and data network. It's a bit old in the tooth now, but they have great coverage and almost no customers so it might work out OK?

I've never seen any Tune Talk SIMs available here; maybe they sell or give them out on AirAsia flights?

Their website seems a bit out of date, and of course nothing indicating where to buy. Also very limited top-up options.

http://th.tunetalk.com/

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks. Seems like 299 baht is the going rate for 7 days of internet, which seems too expensive considering that it only costs a little bit more to get 30 days. Is there a cheaper 7-day SIM?

Most of the 299 tourist SIMs (VAT is included) offer bundled voice and data; typically 100 minutes of local calling, and 1 GB of data. When one values the SIM at 50 baht, the 100 min at 100 baht and the 1 GB of data over 1 week at 199, they may represent a value.

Or you can just buy any SIM for 50 baht and then layer on the mobile data plan which meets your usage/budgetary requirements. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of different mobile data plans all with different characteristics: duration, volume, speed, time, etc.

At a minimum you're probably looking at 50 baht for a SIM and 214 baht (with 7% VAT) for a decent ( 1 GB unlimited FuP 384 Kbps ) mobile data plan. So 264 baht vs. 299 baht, and 100 minutes of calling. seems like a decent value?

Good idea. I really just need the data part of the SIM, not calling, and this week I'm only going to be there for about 7 days. I guess it makes sense to buy any SIM and then add a data plan, but I don't know all the plans and don't have time to find out about them all. And also I've never had Data internet before, only Wifi, so I'm a bit befuddled by all the options. Just want to get 7 days of internet for lowest cost. Next trip, I will be in Thailand for 30 days, then I guess I'll have a slightly different requirement. Thanks for all the replies.

... Here in Thailand I believe their only (single) partner is TOT.

... I've never seen any Tune Talk SIMs available here; maybe they sell or give them out on AirAsia flights?

... Their website seems a bit out of date, and of course nothing indicating where to buy. Also very limited top-up options.

http://th.tunetalk.com/

I bought my first TuneTalk SIMs last year on an AirAsia domestic flight in Thailand. Their website has a list of local dealers. I have been buying new SIMs & also top up cards in Bangkok at K Mobile, located on 6th floor of Terminal 21 shopping center. The top up cards that I bought had a December 2013 expiration date, but I was able to use them last month. If in doubt about the expiration, I suggest topping up while at the shop.

You may be correct that AirAsia's partner is TOT, but the SIM will try to connect to other networks, e.g. AIS, if it cannot find TOT. I had this happened to me several times, and I had to manually switch back to TOT. Still, I think it is nice that I can use other networks when I cannot get a signal from my prefered network.

Their website has a list of local dealers.

Ah, OK.

http://th.tunetalk.com/dealer

I honestly looked and looked and looked, finally found it buried - what a crappy web-site.

TOT and AIS do have a roaming agreement, so I guess you may be able to roam onto one of the AIS (900 MHz, 2100 MHz) networks, but you will pay a premium...

Roaming on AIS network:

Local Voice calls: 2 Baht/minute
Local SMS: 2 Baht/SMS
Data: 2 Baht/MB