UK ILR: Proof of address and Bank Account

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find a similar topic in the search.

Hoping for some advice on the vicious circle that is proof of address and bank accounts for my wife - you seemingly can't get one without the other!

We are applying for ILR in August on the old rules. We have been struggling to get proof of address and because of that a bank / cash account. I have attempted to set a new phone contract in her name with my bank details but the credit check in her name let us down. I have also tried to change some existing bills but the direct debit is already in my name and they will need to credit check her. To clarify, I have no credit issues so it points at my wife's lack of credible history unfortunately.

To add to this her employer pays her weekly in cash and are not so forthcoming when we have requested proof of pay - I'm pursuing this as we are unable to show consistent income without the bank account otherwise.

We also need proof of address for her Life in the UK exam.

What we definitely do have is:

GP letters

Hospital letters

So, we'd be grateful of any advice on what is accepted as proof of address for the ILR application and the exams. Also, any recommendations on alternative documents i.e. HMRC (she is Tax registered via her employment) etc.

Thanks in advance

jonny

I started with a provisional driving licence. That's classed as photo ID and has your address on it. I opened a bank account for the other half at the bank i bank with, which was HSBC no problems at all. (I gave them Passport, Driving Licence & Residence Permit + a letter from the home office). At the same time we opened a joint savings account, which has both our names on it. I then wrote a letter to the utility companies asking for a name change on the bills. Stating the DD is not to change. I enclosed a copy of the residence permit card. I telephoned the local council to add a name to the council tax bill, this was done over the phone.

Thanks for your response, will investigate the provisional driving license.

I'm going to be naive here but we've not got a residence permit and come to think of it I can't recall any formal contact from UKBA whilst my wife has been here. I have been concerned about it although thought the residence permit was optional so not acted on it.

Also, I've no idea how UKBA will track our address unless we've registered it somewhere relative to the process (presumably visa application) - can I check this somewhere?

Thanks

jonny

Thanks for your response, will investigate the provisional driving license.

I'm going to be naive here but we've not got a residence permit and come to think of it I can't recall any formal contact from UKBA whilst my wife has been here. I have been concerned about it although thought the residence permit was optional so not acted on it.

Also, I've no idea how UKBA will track our address unless we've registered it somewhere relative to the process (presumably visa application) - can I check this somewhere?

Thanks

jonny

When my wife applied for ILR we had no utility bills in her name and nothing with joint names either. We used the Settlement Checking Service and were told to take all the letters we could find with her name on and all with my name too which ciovered a period of two years.

We took all the utility and bank statement that were in my name and for her we took bank statements, doctors letters, NHS, letter with NI number, letter confirming LiUK exam, basically anything we could find.

We then just gave them a folder and they selected what was needed..... no problem

• Like 1

There is a wide range of documents which are acceptable; some examples are given in Section 11 of Form SET(M).

Basically, anything quasi official should be fine.

You only need documents from just three separate sources.

Section 11 will also give you the acceptable combinations of documents addressed to each of you. Remember they must cover the whole two years

We had similar problems opening a bank account for my wife when she first arrived; so we opened a joint account together, which our bank (Nationwide) were happy to do.

I am amazed that you say her employer wont give her proof of pay.

I am 99% sure that they are legally obliged to give her payslips and 100% sure that they must give her a P60 if she was working for them at the end of the tax year.

Neither of these need to have her address on, but they must have her name and NI number and are acceptable evidence of her income.

UKBA when it existed didn't, and now UKVI don't, track people's addresses; which is why they require this documentary evidence that you have been cohabitating for the entire qualifying period.

Edited by 7by7

DVLA/provisional licence as suggested. Registration paperwork for GP is a really good letter to keep. To register with most GP's they require evidence of entitlement to NHS services so hopefully your wife will have this!

Mobile phone contracts are not that popular with some banks!

Another way would be to contact your local tax office and ask for a written copy of your wife's tax code. This will be pretty gold plated evidence of her address as far as the bank is concerned.

If you are claiming tax credits these will be in joint names so more paperwork!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've pulled together as much as I can with our address history including contact from hospitals, doctors, tax, child benefit, rental agreement, mortgage (my wife is a named occupant) etc. hopefully this will be enough.

Her employer does have the information as is tax registered just hasn't been forthcoming with it. I've no great concerns that we'll get what we need it just hasn't helped they've been a tad tardy.

I tried a joint bank account before but we were rejected because of my wife's lack of credit history. Maybe things are different in this post recession world?

Will pursue the other avenues mentioned too so thanks all for your advice.

Jonny

I tried a joint bank account before but we were rejected because of my wife's lack of credit history. Maybe things are different in this post recession world?

A credit check would seem unusual unless you were trying at a different bank to your own bank. I opened a joint account last year by just calling my own bank, giving my wife's details over the phone (she had only been in the UK a few months) and all we had to do was turn up at a branch with proof of i.d. and sign the paperwork. I don't remember having to show proof of address but if we did there was only the house rental contract in both our names at that time. At the very least I would have thought you could change your existing bank account to a joint one, although that might not be suitable.

As an aside, our gas and electric account was set up in my name when we moved in and I emailed the power company to request my wife's name added, but no reply and it couldn't be done online. Lo and behold, about 8 months later, bills start arriving in joint names. A miracle!