Poolchlor

JesseFrank

I was looking to buy some granular trichlor and was offered a brand named Poolchlor.

On the label was what I think a lot of Japanese, but can be Chinese also of course, as my reading skills of both isn't that good. whistling.gif

If it's indeed Japanese then I expect it to be good quality. Did a google but couldn't find anything.

Anyone know this brand ?

Edited by JesseFrank

Poolchlor comes from China. We also offer Nissan brand from Japan. Although there is a significant difference in price we haven't actually noticed any real difference in performance. We sell about 50 times more Poolchlor than NIssan.

Yeah, I found in the mean time that it comes from China, but if the quality is fine then there is no problem.

Reason I asked is that I use it to raise the CYA in my saltwater pool. In the past 2 months I have added 5 Kg granular and 5Kg powdered Trichlorine from Panda, and which should have raised the CYA with about 100ppm in my 55.000 liter pool, but tests show that it still has less than 30ppm.

However the chlorine level is right, the Panda seems to contain no CYA.

Edited by JesseFrank

Occasionally adding stabilised chlorine to your pool is a good way to add CYA. Neat CYA powder is expensive and only very small amounts are required.

All pool chlorine marketed as T.C.C.A. 90% trichlorisocynauric acid (the standard swimming pool chlorine powder, granules, or tablets) is 'stabilised' i.e. it contains CYA.

For the exact ppm required of CYA in pools, you can download an independent non-commercial fact sheet from the Swimming Pools Thailand CYA product page (see DOWNLOAD).

Edited by SwimmingPoolsThailand

Occasionally adding stabilised chlorine to your pool is a good way to add CYA. Neat CYA powder is expensive and only very small amounts are required.

All pool chlorine marketed as T.C.C.A. 90% trichlorisocynauric acid (the standard swimming pool chlorine powder, granules, or tablets) is 'stabilised' i.e. it contains CYA.

For the exact ppm required of CYA in pools, you can download an independent non-commercial fact sheet from the Swimming Pools Thailand CYA product page (see DOWNLOAD).

I understand the basics of pool chemistry. The point is that I added a total of 10kg Panda trichlor over the past 2 months. The web based pool calculator shows that this amount of Trichlor should raise the CYA level in a 55.000 liter pool with 101ppm.

Yet my Aquachek silver test strips indicate a level of near zero. I know the strips are not expired as I have tested other pools and there they give accurate test results if compared with the owners own test results.

So either the Panda product is fake, or something else is wrong.

I know to have an accurate CYA test result the pH should be between 7 and 8.4, but my Ph is at 7.5 .Tested both electronically and with paper strips.

An appropriate target level for CYA is typically between 30 and 50 ppm. The highest level should not exceed 100 ppm, while one county health department recommends the level should not exceed 30 ppm. You can also read the fact sheet online directly at http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/health/environ/pollu/pdf/Cyanuric.pdf .

It is always best to add CYA in more than one step, so you don't overshoot your target. Using chlorine powder in those quantities to raise the CYA level may simply result in over-chlorination; in fact in the long run it may even work out more expensive than purchasing a small quantity of neat CYA powder.

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate unless of course they are providing the same reading as a more sophisticated apparatus. The Aquacheck digital test strip readers are generally more reliable, but there are also other accurate cyanuric acid testers.

I maintain cyanauric in my outdoor pool at 25-35ppm. It's a result of reading lots of stuff on the net, but particularly:

- a lengthy scientific analysis by a chemist from a seemingly reputable chemical analysis company for a pool industry journal "The Chemistry and Treatment of Swimming Pool and Spa Water", which suggests that the performance of cyanauric in reducing the rate of loss of chlorine differs only slightly for levels of CYA at 25ppm compared with CyA at 50ppm and that levels above 50ppm are a waste of money

- general apparent agreement from many sources that high levels of CyA (and even modest levels for some commentators/health authorities) reduce the effectiveness of chlorine to disinfect a pool

- guidance by New South Wales Health authority that CyA levels should never exceed 20ppm [for public pools; presumably the standards for a public pool must be far tougher in view of potential pollutants (kids urine and worse!) than for a pool swum in mostly by me and party swimming closely controlled by me]. It seems though that they are the only ones who go public with such low levels.

- guidance by Pennsylvania Department of Health that pools using CyA should maintain free chlorine levels of at least 2ppm. My salt converter struggles to maintain that level of free chlorine during Summer months, even on maximum production. They also set absolute maximum CyA levels of 80ppm by the way. I'm hoping that chlorine levels of 1.5 would be ok at my lower range of CyA.

TRS Pool salt seems to have not quite enough stabiliser in. My pool has drifted down from 32 to 25 in the last 3 months. On second thoughts, I guess that downward drift is likely a result of pool loss/rain water dilution rather than technical insufficiency of stabiliser in the salt.