Sending A Digital Camera From Overseas..

rainman

i recently got a new sony digital camera through "rewards program" with points i've collected over the years. i've had it sent to a friend's address and now i'm looking to sending it to thailand. i'm thinking fedex or ups would be the safest way to avoid breaking it. but i'm assuming the part i should be most worried about is the import taxes? if i take it out of the box and send it as a used camera (assuming my friend snaps at least one picture, of course), any ideas? i'm concerned i will have to pay the full price the camera costs (~ thb 10,000) here if thai customs opens the box.

:o

It's risky whatever why you send it,unless you can get someone to carry it with them personally on the plane.

How about you ask your friend to sell it, deposit funds in your account then you can buy one in Thailand. :o

yeah thats what i thought too. i've never had a fedex package opened before, though ..so for all they know i could be sending cookies. cement cookies because of the weight :o but if i declare the real value/content, i'll probably get hit with 10k baht customs fees.

I just sent for a new Denon DVD Player from Hong Kong.

3 day delivery to my door.

40.000bht including shipping.

Thai Duty = 900bht.

The exact same unit goes for 65,000bht in Thailand.

My B&W stereo speakers retail for over 200,000 in Bangkok.

Got them sent from Hong Kong for 113,000bht.

Thai Duty = 3,000bht.