World War II bomb found at Bangkok MRT project site

webfact

Don't blow it open with a hammer now, do not leave it to the ignorant wannabe authorities who are too worried about saving face

I am glad no one was hurt or killed. I prefer to work on my own ignorance and leave others to work on theirs.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised nobody has blamed the reds yet!

Their getting blamed for any weapons or ammo found these days!

ok it was a red plant back in the day...an investment so to speak for future mayhem....satisfied now..lonely guy..

• Like 2

Was Bangkok 'bombed' during WWII ?

Not a piss take, I didn't know.

What was the history?

Have you never heard of google? It's a web site where you can get questions answered.

Bombing of Bangkok in World War II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Bangkok_in_World_War_II

Yes, David48 had apparently discovered TVF and his internet skills and familiarization ended there as he proceeded with his 12,239 posts. You should have given him the Google (Thai version) link as well:

Google_for_David48 <----- (click on this David48, use your mouse - left button)

Thailand essentially "capitulated" to the Japanese under Field Marshall Phibul, establishing a wartime occupation relationship with Japan somewhat akin to the Vichy State in France.

Thais will never say that they've never been "invaded." The past 500 years of Southeast Asian history is all about the Thai, Khmer, Burmese and Lao kingdoms overrunning each other and sacking conquered cities.

What Thailand can claim is that unlike the vast majority of developing countries - and every one of their neighbors - Thailand was never colonized by a European power.

my husband told me the same as you..we were not taught the real facts,just what they wanted us to know thank you..wai2.gif .i never believed him before..thought he was thai bashing.

• Like 1

Due to the recent spate of events the word "bomb" does not seem to invoke the same level of emotional concern as it once did.

I hope we don't forget about all those senseless deaths and lives lost and learn something from it all.

Thailand essentially "capitulated" to the Japanese under Field Marshall Phibul, establishing a wartime occupation relationship with Japan somewhat akin to the Vichy State in France.

Thais will never say that they've never been "invaded." The past 500 years of Southeast Asian history is all about the Thai, Khmer, Burmese and Lao kingdoms overrunning each other and sacking conquered cities.

What Thailand can claim is that unlike the vast majority of developing countries - and every one of their neighbors - Thailand was never colonized by a European power.

Which of course is a mixed blessing.

• Like 1

What was the history?

Have you never heard of google? It's a web site where you can get questions answered.

Bombing of Bangkok in World War II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Bangkok_in_World_War_II

Yes, David48 had apparently discovered TVF and his internet skills and familiarization ended there as he proceeded with his 12,239 posts. You should have given him the Google (Thai version) link as well:

Google_for_David48 <----- (click on this David48, use your mouse - left button)

wow he only asked a question..maybe so some of you can enlighten him with your vast superior knowledge of world history..i believe he was adding to an interesting topic..i still have much to learn about your sarcasm/wit/or just nastiness...you choose.wai2.gif

• Like 2

What was the history?

Wikipedia is your friend! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Bangkok_in_World_War_II

"Allied bombing raids on the Thai capital city of Bangkok began even before Thailand had declared war, since the Empire of Japan was using the country as a staging area for its invasions of both Malaya and Burma, with the agreement of the Thai government after Japan's successful invasion of the southeast Asian country. The first raid came on January 7, 1942, when Royal Air Force (RAF) aircraft flying fromRangoon, attacked military targets in the city.[1][2] The American Volunteer Group, together with seven No. 113 Squadron RAF and three No. 45 Squadron RAFBlenheim bombers, were involved in the first raid.[3] No. 113 Squadron's planes were piloted by No. 60 Squadron's air crew. The second night raid was carried out with 8 Blenheims on 24-25 January and included No. 60 Squadron RAF aircrew.[4] A final raid was made three days later by four Blenheims. This was the last raid by Blenheims until May or June 1945."

Fact check: Thailand was not involved in WW2.

SIAM was.

This enables Thais to say Thailand has never been invaded.

Regardless of who dropped the bomb, who declared war, what country, by whatever name, etc. I'm glad that no one was hurt or killed.

Had they been, based on past postings, it would have been an opportunity for some to crawl out from their dark, perverted and unhappy lairs, to make light about the pain and sufferings of others.

Think, Think, Think.

GoodThaiGirl:

I don't think Thailand has anything to be ashamed of re: what I mentioned above.

Capitulation to the Japanese might not have been Thailand's proudest moment, but the decision to do so didn't take place under the auspices of a democratically elected government. Field Marshall Pibhul was a military dictator - and an &lt;deleted&gt;.

There is a great deal of evidence of a robust anti-Japanese / pro-Allied powers Thai underground operating during World War II providing invaluable intelligence to the Allies and helping to thwart Japanese progress through acts of sabotage.

• Like 2

Chances are the WWII bomb is British. The air strikes targeted bridges across the Chao Phraya.

Sorry about that.

"A vintage aerial bomb discovered yesterday at a site near Bang Sue train station"

More likely the bombers were targeting the large marshaling yards and loco facilities at the same place. The railway was much more important to the Japanese as most people know.

I am confused.

Which side was Thailand on???? in 1941?

I cannot imagine for one second that they allied themselves to those NASTY Japanese! and allowed them free passage into northern Malaya and Burma

Please don't talk about the war!

Let us pretend it did not happen

Maybe the big bomb was a big mistake?

OOOPS, I remember now, they changed sides in 1945 , but we are not allowed to talk about that.

Labour on the Burmese railway gives a clue.

Americans 700 Deaths 355

Australia 13000 Deaths 2710

Dutch 18000 Deaths 2830

British 30000 Deaths 6540

Locals 200000 Deaths 80000

• Like 1

Which of course is a mixed blessing.

Indeed.

It is likely a testament to HRM Mongkut's relationship with Western powers, as well as the shrewd and extremely intelligent statesmanship of countless Thai diplomatic envoys of all levels across all diplomatic missions throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries.

GoodThaiGirl:

I don't think Thailand has anything to be ashamed of re: what I mentioned above.

Capitulation to the Japanese might not have been Thailand's proudest moment, but the decision to do so didn't take place under the auspices of a democratically elected government. Field Marshall Pibhul was a military dictator - and an <deleted>.

There is a great deal of evidence of a robust anti-Japanese / pro-Allied powers Thai underground operating during World War II providing invaluable intelligence to the Allies and helping to thwart Japanese progress through acts of sabotage.

Did the Japanese commit any atrocities in Thailand...against Thais?

GoodThaiGirl:

Capitulation to the Japanese might not have been Thailand's proudest moment, but the decision to do so didn't take place under the auspices of a democratically elected government. Field Marshall Pibhul was a military dictator - and an <deleted>.

I don't think the Thais have anything to be ashamed of even had there been a democracy in place. Had they resisted the Japanese, they would have faced the same awful fate as the Chinese. A fate which was well publicized at the time. And we should remember that from the Thai point of view, it was the French who stole Laos and the English who stole what is now northern Burma from Thailand (back then Siam)

What is this THING? Looks like some Alien life form or giant mushroom. Doesn't look much like a bomb. See how it's all askew and out of line, as if made from some soft matter

A lot of arial ordnance doesn't look like a classic "cartoon style" bomb.

The OP did say that the digger did some damage to this one. It's a miracle it didn't explode, as these bombs had/have a very simple impact detonator, or fuse.

I just wonder if they have the necessary equipment to make it safe. Destroying it in-situ is not an option. It's reasonably unlikely they can get the fuse out and, as it's already fractured, it will be highly unstable. Maybe they will have to call in some foreign assistance here, but something tells me they won't.

Believe it or not, the SOP where I come from is to steam out the explosives with a sort-of vacuum cleaner.

Back in the day!

Excellent English thai good girl!

I'm impressed!

I'm not that impressed with her English. She (if it is a she) should work on her capitalization and punctuation. But it's the message that counts and I am more impressed with that.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

What is this THING? Looks like some Alien life form or giant mushroom. Doesn't look much like a bomb. See how it's all askew and out of line, as if made from some soft matter

The OP did say that the digger did some damage to this one. It's a miracle it didn't explode, as these bombs had/have a very simple impact detonator, or fuse.

I just wonder if they have the necessary equipment to make it safe. Destroying it in-situ is not an option. It's reasonably unlikely they can get the fuse out and, as it's already fractured, it will be highly unstable. Maybe they will have to call in some foreign assistance here, but something tells me they won't.

Believe it or not, the SOP where I come from is to steam out the explosives with a sort-of vacuum cleaner.

Thai EOD teams are quite good. I've seen their training and their equipment and they are up to date with any other army / police teams. Usually the SOP is to move the explosive to blast proof container and move it away for destruction...

post-90587-0-05597800-1401765760_thumb.j

post-90587-0-59760800-1401765768_thumb.j

• Like 2

What was the history?

The allies bombed it at the start of ww2 because Thailand sympathised with the Axis, particularly Japan. Then things started to get a bit hot and the Japs started to lose, so Thailand kinda changed sides later in the war, and just about denied everything, as they do. It's called 'pragmatism' - subai subai.

Thai EOD teams are quite good. I've seen their training and their equipment and they are up to date with any other army / police teams. Usually the SOP is to move the explosive to blast proof container and move it away for destruction...

Oh righty. So they do all that for the pics - sparkling new vehicles and uniforms etc, then when it comes to the real stuff, they just wander over and stick a pin in it.

• Like 1

Don't blow it open with a hammer now, do not leave it to the ignorant wannabe authorities who are too worried about saving face

Saving face? Where did that notion come from? If you are an EOD expert perhaps you will go to the Thai military and offfer to defuse the bomb and you can save face for the wannabe authorities.