Drug testing by Thai police on the street

XaS

Thanks for this post ... I got all my passport and visa papers copied and laminated to keep in wallet with my Thai drivers license that also has passport picture . I actually think this is good and feel safer here than I did living in any city in US . Why worry if one has nothing to hide just show them what they want and let them know you appreciate their efforts to keep Bangkok safe and people doing illegal things off the street .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well I guess people worry for a number reasons. Fear of false test results, fear of a shakedown, personal liberties being invaded... added to the fact that these searches can be quite intimidating, and often aggressive. I'm not sure they're really about making the streets safer- it's not like they're targeting violent crime with this.

• Like 1

Negative but i wonder if they have the right to do this without evidence. And they dont have the right to look at me while peeing. Not from the side but the front.

Contact the army general,give him some flowers,and he will sort it for you, he hates corruption

• 2 months later...

I have been at stopped twice in sukhumvit 22. 2 police officers on a bike every time. They just searched me but didn't get me to take the pee test. My friend however, was searched once and taken to have his pee at the asoke police booth. It's obvious what they were searching for and wanted. I don't look shady or anything. I was wearing a tie and coming back from work the first time, just passed the queens park hotel on soi 22. Second time I was walking to 7/11 at midnight on 22 near the parrot cafe.

If you have nothing on you or in your apartment, but u are still tested positive fot Marijuana. The fine is up to 20,000 and/or up to 1 year in jail.

Weed is a class V drug and the police mainly want their tea money. Don't listen to these idiots who say "10 years in the slammer if caught smoking a joint". If you are able to pay the fine and it is your first offense they will let you go. I am not suggesting to do it!!! But no one deserves to go jail for weed.

Edited by Somtamboopala

Someone stops me and asks me to piss in a can then it ain't happening no matter what country I am in. You need reason to stop someone on the street at 5pm and ask for a widdle sample.

Never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. Next you will be telling me foreign men buy homes and put them in a prostitutes name.......

Exactly. My response would have been "blow me officer". No way I would have submitted to that. Take me to the headquarters so I can talk to your captain, and I can get my lawyer involved. You crooks have crossed the line. Sometimes, you just have to push back against the roaches. I have never heard of a foreigner being imprisoned for pushing back, but I have seen many instances, including some personally, where they just let it go if you cause them too many problems. Also, I would immediately report these thugs to the military. They need to be stopped.

• Like 2

I always carry Drew Noyes card around with me in Pattaya encase this sort of thing happens, on your way in seconds

Actually as Drew Noyes is a TV Sponsor he must be credible, so that might be a good idea. I trust Thai Visa to make sure it's members are well looked after smile.png

Who is Drew Noyes please? Never heard of him.Is he a good honest man?

He was a movie star, a test pilot and astronaut before he retired to Thailand I hear.

Edited by khunjamesjohnson

I always carry Drew Noyes card around with me in Pattaya encase this sort of thing happens, on your way in seconds

Actually as Drew Noyes is a TV Sponsor he must be credible, so that might be a good idea. I trust Thai Visa to make sure it's members are well looked after smile.png

He was a movie star, a test pilot and astronaut before he retired to Thailand I hear.

"I'm not an attorney.....but I play one on TV."

Who's your lawyer Hermes..? smile.png

Mr Praychaya

one of best in land, honest, kind, human-rights away, smart, hardworking

I never let thai cops touch me, search me, they get angry, tryto muscles me, but thats hard in public, so have no choice then take me to station where my lawyers tells them the correct way they should behave.He also got me of slapping one and forcing him to eat ( well, I just stuffed it into his mouth )his own mobile phone in front of whole crowrd( for which I often get called a liar.....no problem). YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SUBMIT TO THESE TESTS.

Act like a sheep and the wolf will eat you

• Like 2

really,,,I think not, nobody dare's put their money where their mouths are. Somebody say they call my lawyer-a lie.

The only one getting the slap is that cop-and you who speak too soon.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. -- Carl Sagan

to me its very normal- do what they did and I will act same.want evidence- ask my lawyer and go to thonglor with me.Can I get any more fair? Because you sheep do not like one who stands up and against these scum posing as cops I become the " bad guy" I am actually doing this for a good cause.To stop these fools disgracing their office and bully the sheep.

My lawyer

Mr Praychaya

maybe he's on my payroll......

maybe you lot need to to man up. they only do this because people like you let them.

Just my two THB, but I was stopped by undercover cops getting off the bus from Pattaya, and that was in 1998. I was carrying a real nice Ektelon Gym bag, that my aunt had bought at some outlet store; it did look a little drug dealerish, though. There was a table and they went through my bag, and let me go. They were actually going through it real slowly, and I just picked up the thing and dumped the whole contents on the table, and shrugged. They went back to their cages.

As far as the wallet search, that is a very common place to store coke. Small amounts are often ground up and sold in bindles of folded up 3 inch square pieces of Penthouse Magazine. Even a full gram could only be ann 1/8 of an inch thick. Cigarette pack is another favorite hiding place....Don't know if the 20s crowd carries single edge blades in their wallet anymore; but they used to. The Mexican heroin dealers cruise around Tucson with 10 USD amounts in balloons in their mouths, ready to swallow if Johnny Law catches up with them. Thailand is the wrong place to be messing with coke/pot........low quality/super high costs/severe penalties and the Thais are some of the biggest snitches on the planet.

Who's your lawyer Hermes..? smile.png

Mr Praychaya

one of best in land, honest, kind, human-rights away, smart, hardworking

I never let thai cops touch me, search me, they get angry, tryto muscles me, but thats hard in public, so have no choice then take me to station where my lawyers tells them the correct way they should behave.He also got me of slapping one and forcing him to eat ( well, I just stuffed it into his mouth )his own mobile phone in front of whole crowrd( for which I often get called a liar.....no problem). YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SUBMIT TO THESE TESTS.

Act like a sheep and the wolf will eat you

Totally agree !

I have been at stopped twice in sukhumvit 22. 2 police officers on a bike every time. They just searched me but didn't get me to take the pee test. My friend however, was searched once and taken to have his pee at the asoke police booth. It's obvious what they were searching for and wanted. I don't look shady or anything. I was wearing a tie and coming back from work the first time, just passed the queens park hotel on soi 22. Second time I was walking to 7/11 at midnight on 22 near the parrot cafe.

If you have nothing on you or in your apartment, but u are still tested positive fot Marijuana. The fine is up to 20,000 and/or up to 1 year in jail.

Weed is a class V drug and the police mainly want their tea money. Don't listen to these idiots who say "10 years in the slammer if caught smoking a joint". If you are able to pay the fine and it is your first offense they will let you go. I am not suggesting to do it!!! But no one deserves to go jail for weed.

People go to court and get 2000 baht fine for weed, not even blacklister.

Anything else is BS.

• Like 1

You forgot lion-tamer and 'gator-wrestler

Yes, he's a legend in his own mind...

Edited by cloghead

• 1 month later...

You forgot lion-tamer and 'gator-wrestler

Yes, he's a legend in his own mind...

and now a convicted criminal by the Pattaya Criminal Court (Black Court Case 3921/2555 sentenced to 2 years in Jail ) according to Pattaya Daily News & Pattaya Today and other reliable official news sources : http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/pattaya-newspaper-owner-sentenced-pattaya-court/

• 2 years later...

They also test at Pattaya clubs and in the street.

With so many people positive everyday, I wonder what happens to them ?

I guess that most pay their way out, but what happens to the ones going to the court ? And actually where is the court at Pattaya ?

It seems that for weed / ganja / marijuana / pot / cannabis the official fine is only 2000 thb, but some people have to meet a doctor ?

I've never been stopped in any of these drug stings (I'm a little surprised at this, assuming of course that these searches are common as the reports seem to make them--I know, that's a big assumption--since I resemble what many Thais might consider a drug user would look like), but I'm prepared if I ever am: I have the app Bambuser on the front screen of my phone.  If a cop ever starts interacting with me on the street, the phone comes out and the app goes on.  Instantly, a video is recorded and stored online.  Even if they then take the phone away from me, the cop's face is already online, and can only be deleted by me logging in and doing so (there's nothing to delete on the phone itself).

• Like 1

A lot of farangs are really indignant and offended by random searches and drug testing but I can't figure out why

It's perfectly logical for the police to search and piss test farangs because they're the African drug dealers' number one customers regardless of how honest and law-abiding some of the more hypocritical among us purport to be

It's called "racial profiling" and it works on white people as well as non-white people.

If you've not bought or taken any drugs, what have you got to be worried about?

Rights?? What rights??

You left those at the airport; your PC, enshrined in law rights don't mean shit here.

Don't like it? Tough.

Nothing you can do about it except, of course, the obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

A lot of farangs are really indignant and offended by random searches and drug testing but I can't figure out why

It's perfectly logical for the police to search and piss test farangs because they're the African drug dealers' number one customers regardless of how honest and law-abiding some of the more hypocritical among us purport to be

It's called "racial profiling" and it works on white people as well as non-white people.

If you've not bought or taken any drugs, what have you got to be worried about?

Rights?? What rights??

You left those at the airport; your PC, enshrined in law rights don't mean shit here.

Don't like it? Tough.

Nothing you can do about it except, of course, the obvious.

If only the guys doing the testing had stellar reputations for honesty and fair dealing...

Just because it's unavoidable today doesn't mean it's acceptable- or can't change.  Have you noticed some about faces recently on the part of the government when crap hits the social media fan?  Including scaling way back on random piss tests in the Asoke area, with some pretty contrite back pedaling explanations from higher level officials.  Reforms have to start somewhere.  Bitching about the unacceptable on social media seems to be a good catalyst.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, impulse said:

If only the guys doing the testing had stellar reputations for honesty and fair dealing...

Just because it's unavoidable today doesn't mean it's acceptable- or can't change.  Have you noticed some about faces recently on the part of the government when crap hits the social media fan?  Including scaling way back on random piss tests in the Asoke area, with some pretty contrite back pedaling explanations from higher level officials.  Reforms have to start somewhere.  Bitching about the unacceptable on social media seems to be a good catalyst.

Not all Thai cops are corrupt.

All that matters is the following

Do you have drugs on your person?

Do you have drugs in your system?

IMHO, the searches and the tests were justified.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Not all Thai cops are corrupt...

I'd agree, but one of the back pedaling explanations from the higher ups (after piss testing around Asoke hit social media- all the way to Europe) was to explain that the cops who were piss testing people in that area were doing so against their own policy.  Which is a pretty good indication that they were in the corrupt subset.

For "drugs in your system", have a look at all the common, innocent things you eat, drink and take that can yield a false positive and ask yourself if you want to spend a few days or weeks as a guest of the local jail while they wait for the more expensive tests that will eventually exonerate you.  Maybe.  Or would you just pony up the 10K, 20K or whatever it costs to put it behind you?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, impulse said:

Not all Thai cops are corrupt...

I'd agree, but one of the back pedaling explanations from the higher ups (after piss testing around Asoke hit social media- all the way to Europe) was to explain that the cops who were piss testing people in that area were doing so against their own policy.  Which is a pretty good indication that they were in the corrupt subset.

For "drugs in your system", have a look at all the common, innocent things you eat, drink and take that can yield a false positive and ask yourself if you want to spend a few days or weeks as a guest of the local jail while they wait for the more expensive tests that will eventually exonerate you.  Maybe.  Or would you just pony up the 10K, 20K or whatever it costs to put it behind you?

Point me to instances where a farang has been carted off to jail to await the more expensive tests.

18 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Point me to instances where a farang has been carted off to jail to await the more expensive tests.

Can't do it.  I don't know any such fools.  But I can point to several I know that were smart enough to pay the cops off to prevent being hauled off.

16 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

They also test at Pattaya clubs and in the street.

With so many people positive everyday, I wonder what happens to them ?

I guess that most pay their way out, but what happens to the ones going to the court ? And actually where is the court at Pattaya ?

It seems that for weed / ganja / marijuana / pot / cannabis the official fine is only 2000 thb, but some people have to meet a doctor ?

5 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

yes, sure, most of them are honest ! But what I am sure also, is that you seem to know nothing but keep speaking...

• Like 1

If you're dumb enough to take drugs in Thailand (or import them, or deal them), a country with such strict penalties for drug offences, then you DESERVE to be locked up for a very long time. Just stay at home in Europe and do them there, and you'll get a slap on the wrist at worst. Then again, Thailand seems to have earned a reputation for attracting falang residents with rather low IQs... Not surprising really, because if you were smart you'd know there are a dozen countries in Asia that are miles better to live in as an expat than Thailand, and some of them are even cheaper.

5 hours ago, Thainess said:

If you're dumb enough to take drugs in Thailand (or import them, or deal them), a country with such strict penalties for drug offences, then you DESERVE to be locked up for a very long time. Just stay at home in Europe and do them there, and you'll get a slap on the wrist at worst. Then again, Thailand seems to have earned a reputation for attracting falang residents with rather low IQs... Not surprising really, because if you were smart you'd know there are a dozen countries in Asia that are miles better to live in as an expat than Thailand, and some of them are even cheaper.

Great ! we are learning a lot thanks to you and your ridiculous post !

We need more smart foreigners like you in this country !

• Like 1