Good location around Pattaya to live

YandC

Pattaya is a much bigger area than the biggots would have you believe. Beach Rd, 2nd Rd and Walking Street are the only places that some people know in Pattaya and the ones that people tend to remember - mostly due to the activities that can be found there. However, there is much more to Pattaye than that - you can live away from these areas and then visit the " down-town areas " if and when you need to. If I have friends in town then down-town Pattaya is a fun place to go, if I don't, then I stay away, but as far as affordable Asian Cities go, Pattaya has a bit of everything once you get to know your way around. It's not all booze and sleaze, there other good things too !!rolleyes.gif

Thanks mate smile.png That is exactly the intention. We will be running our business away from Pattaya anyway;...

I live in Nakluea (just North of Pattaya) and I really like it. It is a condo though and not on the cheap side. If you gave more specific info info like budget and sq ft..etc you may find more helpful information.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya is a much bigger area than the biggots would have you believe. Beach Rd, 2nd Rd and Walking Street are the only places that some people know in Pattaya and the ones that people tend to remember - mostly due to the activities that can be found there. However, there is much more to Pattaye than that - you can live away from these areas and then visit the " down-town areas " if and when you need to. If I have friends in town then down-town Pattaya is a fun place to go, if I don't, then I stay away, but as far as affordable Asian Cities go, Pattaya has a bit of everything once you get to know your way around. It's not all booze and sleaze, there other good things too !!rolleyes.gif

Thanks mate smile.png That is exactly the intention. We will be running our business away from Pattaya anyway;...

I live in Nakluea (just North of Pattaya) and I really like it. It is a condo though and not on the cheap side. If you gave more specific info info like budget and sq ft..etc you may find more helpful information.

Sure...the budget will be 60.000 B per month and we are looking for a representative Villa, 4+ BR, private Pool, furnished, landscaped garden and safe :) min. size should be 150 sq wah

I come from England and would never dream of driving in to the centre of London because the traffic is chaos......not that I come from London. Same applies with Pattaya, if I need to go to the centre of Pattaya then I either take a motorbike taxi or my own moped. Nothing else makes sense. If you need to collect a bed or wardrobe from Big C extra.......either get them to deliver it or buy it from somehwere that you can drive to without the chaos.....anything as long as i don't take the car to Pattaya ! Having said that, I have seen mtorbikes delivering beds and wardrobes around Pattaya and Jomtien. the same folk that frustrate and infuriate you can also make you laugh sometimes. If you can learn to expect things " not to go as planned " - then Greater Pattaya is enjoyable. I once got fined in England for having one wheel of my car on a Zebra Crossing whilst trying to do a good deed for an old lady. Things like that infiriate me more than some of the craziness of Pattaya. One country far too strict with highway protocol and this one far too lax.....but I still prefer it here where you can get everything you are ever likely to want or need within a 5km range.

• Like 1

I come from England and would never dream of driving in to the centre of London because the traffic is chaos......not that I come from London. Same applies with Pattaya, if I need to go to the centre of Pattaya then I either take a motorbike taxi or my own moped. Nothing else makes sense. If you need to collect a bed or wardrobe from Big C extra.......either get them to deliver it or buy it from somehwere that you can drive to without the chaos.....anything as long as i don't take the car to Pattaya ! Having said that, I have seen mtorbikes delivering beds and wardrobes around Pattaya and Jomtien. the same folk that frustrate and infuriate you can also make you laugh sometimes. If you can learn to expect things " not to go as planned " - then Greater Pattaya is enjoyable. I once got fined in England for having one wheel of my car on a Zebra Crossing whilst trying to do a good deed for an old lady. Things like that infiriate me more than some of the craziness of Pattaya. One country far too strict with highway protocol and this one far too lax.....but I still prefer it here where you can get everything you are ever likely to want or need within a 5km range.

I am sure we will have a great time ahead...I survived 9 years Dubai...Now it's time to move on...

Hi again YandC,

Now that you clarified your position a little more I would highly recommend you look at Khao Yai. My son goes to an international school there (St. Stephens International School Khao Yai) and was boarding for 3 or 4 years. I then decided to build an holiday home there and live there during school terms, as he is now just a day student. It is an excellent school and in beautiful surroundings.

Again, if you would like further info, pm me. I am actually the school's PTA current chairman, so if you need any info on the school, I can help.

By the way, I worked in Dubai for 29 years, retired December 2012, so we may have bumped into each other along the way!!!!

Best of luck

• Like 1

All around Pattaya must be the dirtiest, most unkempt part of Thailand. Potholed roads, stinking rubbish bins, builders

rubble all along the rural roads, not a metre without white plastic bags, large trees needlessly felled or butchered. There's no civic pride.

Go to much decried Isaan. Well kept roads, clean streets, fine avenues of chim-churi, good clear road signage. Even broader smiles.

Wake up Chon Buri!

Chonburi is certainly in need of improvements, as are most parts of Thailand in one fashion or another. I've seen many undesirable aspects of parts of Isaan, but I am hardly qualified to tell anyone to wake up. I'm not an alarm clock.

Back to the OPs question. The East or "dark-side" of Pattaya is an option. However, traffic to Sukumvit can he horrendous if there is a need to go that direction.

Good luck and best wishes on your impending marriage my friend.

• Like 1

Why in heaven would anyone chose to live in a place like Pattaya? I am just asking. Sure, the girls and the booze. We all know that, and the STDs are free. But honestly, you have a gf. Why would you not respect her and yourself and move somewhere decent? Unless you found her there.,.. Then you've got more than one problem

When I moved to Thailand with my family in 2000 I had 3 requests:

1. Close to an International Airport with direct flights to Europe (my business was still in Europe)

2. Good International school

3. Close to the sea (I like sailing)

This only gave us one option... Pattaya.

Just recently I wondered if I want to live somewhere else in Thailand and so we traveled South.

I still use the airport a lot but to other destinations in Asia and just around the corner from Hua Hin it is still a freakin long drive to the airport, so no thanks, I stay where I live today, 6 km out of Pattaya.

Back to the OPs question. The East or "dark-side" of Pattaya is an option.

However, traffic to Sukumvit can he horrendous if there is a need to go that direction.

Oh yes! I agree ++ . I had to go to Wat Sutthawas yesterday, at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 53. Oh god! even if I was in motorbike, the street is in very bade state, there are bad parked cars all the long, there is at least one big school with hundred of cars & bikes around blocking the Soi, there are canalisation works with alternate circulation,... I didn't look at my watch but probably would have been faster to walk to the Wat from Sukhumvit! wink.pngsad.png

Around Mabprachan lake is a nice area people there are more settled than they are in the center of Pattaya and there are a lot more family's and from what you say about your self like minded people .. And ten minutes from regents school

Edited by Brasilouro

Hey,

I have a house near Mabprachan (Lakeside View), it's about 25mins from downtown 'craziness', nice and quiet but still has plenty of restaurants, bars and small supermarkets.

Not too bad for Regents I guess, my wife thinks it's too far from central Pattaya (13km), but I prefer the peaceful life and travel into town when I need anything major.

• Like 1

A small detail I find strange:

Why so many people come live in a seaside resort like Pattaya

but choose a place where they can't see the sea, or even very far from it ??

Many far better locations inside Thailand if you don't need the sea... IMHO.

All around Pattaya must be the dirtiest, most unkempt part of Thailand. Potholed roads, stinking rubbish bins, builders

rubble all along the rural roads, not a metre without white plastic bags, large trees needlessly felled or butchered. There's no civic pride.

Go to much decried Isaan. Well kept roads, clean streets, fine avenues of chim-churi, good clear road signage. Even broader smiles.

Wake up Chon Buri!

You're right. In my opinion Isaan is the best place to stay in Thailand. I live here 8 years already. I would recommend it to anyone, nice people, good food, good entertainment and nevertheless quiet.

Buying a house with sea side view is next to impossible unless you got $$$ to burn. My house is a 10 min ride from north Pattaya beach road, I live on the inside of Sukhumvit road but yet very peaceful.

I like being close to the ocean, we often goes for a ride after putting my son to school and stops on either beach road or Jomtien for breakfast and then have a walk afterwards.

It's nice and quiet there at 0900 in the morning.

Okay I would like to live in a place with mountain view someday but not many real mountains near Pattaya, I never lay on the beach anyway but likes the scenery. maybe when I gets real old, I might move up north, who knows.

Chang Mai is high on the wish list, but with the yearly burning where the pollution is real bad we can't move away with a kid in school.

• Like 1

Alright...what an amount of information!

Thanks to all of you. I need some time now to put everything together.

I will send some pm to some of you as well.

Two last questions though: Is it possible to run officially a business from home? Are there any restrictions to the scope of business?

Why in heaven would anyone chose to live in a place like Pattaya? I am just asking. Sure, the girls and the booze. We all know that, and the STDs are free. But honestly, you have a gf. Why would you not respect her and yourself and move somewhere decent? Unless you found her there.,.. Then you've got more than one problem

So everyone in Pattaya has STD's, every area in Pattaya and surroundings is a red light district and the OP's girlfriend is probably a prostitute.

Congratulations, you should be banned for such a comment.

Hey, you said it, not me....

Wow, thanks a lot for all the good advises. I really appreciate.

@Braddockrd: Well my friend, let me tell you that my future wife is far away from being a prostitute and what we are doing or intend to do in Pattaya area is none of your business! - End of story

To all others: Thanks again. So to summarize, East Pattaya will probably be the place to be or Isaan may be.

Regarding the school we haven't made up our mind yet where we will be sending our two kids to...

First impression of Regent was very good but I have to visit the schools by myself...Yes, comparing to all the other prices it seems to be expensive...but hey, here in Dubai we pay 3x times more :(

Anyway, I hope to get more information from your guys and I am sure I will bother you with a bunch of questions in the next time hahaha

Trust me, I could not care less

Don't get distracted by all the Pattaya bashers. They have no clue about Pattaya outside Soi 6. There are plenty of nice spots, the dark side, Pratamnak, Wong Amart...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't get distracted by all the Pattaya bashers. They have no clue about Pattaya outside Soi 6. There are plenty of nice spots, the dark side, Pratamnak, Wong Amart...

Exactly. I myself never pass Buakhao unless I'm going to Central Festival, which is rare. I lived on the Darkside for two months and miss it so I am thinking of moving back. (There were practical reasons at the time for moving back to the beach side of Sukhumvit.) I was just on Nern Pub Waan last night visiting a friend. It's just a noticeably friendlier environment, dare I say it, more of a real Thailand. The worst thing about it is crossing Sukhumvit, if you have to do it daily. Another thing is there's no big supermarket, that I'm aware of.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

When I moved to Thailand with my family in 2000 I had 3 requests:

1. Close to an International Airport with direct flights to Europe (my business was still in Europe)

2. Good International school

3. Close to the sea (I like sailing)

This only gave us one option... Pattaya.

Just recently I wondered if I want to live somewhere else in Thailand and so we traveled South.

I still use the airport a lot but to other destinations in Asia and just around the corner from Hua Hin it is still a freakin long drive to the airport, so no thanks, I stay where I live today, 6 km out of Pattaya.

Yes, Hua Hin to BKK is just tooooo far if making the drive reguarly.

Exactly. I myself never pass Buakhao unless I'm going to Central Festival, which is rare. I lived on the Darkside for two months and miss it so I am thinking of moving back. (There were practical reasons at the time for moving back to the beach side of Sukhumvit.) I was just on Nern Pub Waan last night visiting a friend. It's just a noticeably friendlier environment, dare I say it, more of a real Thailand. The worst thing about it is crossing Sukhumvit, if you have to do it daily. Another thing is there's no big supermarket, that I'm aware of.

If you're living on the dark side, especially if more than 5 km out of town, you need a car. I live in Nongplalai near the regents school, which is about 12 km to Pattaya over the highway which is only 500 meters from my house.

Before I was a daily attendant of the walking street nightlife, but since I moved here I've been there twice a year on average.

The only thing I miss is a large supermarket, but since they are currently building 5 large villages with a total of over a 1500 House on the #36 road near me, I expect it won't take long anymore before they start building one.