Unsafe banking, what should i do ?

yanyk

I am banking with a notable commercial bank. I went to this bank to carry out some transaction and met a colleague who had came for the same purpose. after exchanging pleasantries, i noticed the bankers started asking her questions about me ( of course) in thai (thinking i won't understand) and even told her the amount i was about to save.

after a week or so, another colleague told me she went to same bank and they told her i usually come to send money and how much i sent the last time i was there

and even told her how much i had in my account. Now is this part of the norm? what should i do ? i feel so bad about this

You should smash the bank person in the face with a house brick.

i might get into trouble and i know i cant sue him or them. the best i think is to withdraw my cash and close the account.

You know already what you should have done! You understand enough of the Thai language so you should have asked that person (pood alai khap ) then asked for the bank manager, so you could close your account. And give him the reason why.

The manager is who you need to see.

I encountered a very rude teller last year. I immediately went to see the manager. I explained the situation, she watched the CCTV. That teller was transferred to a small branch the next week. Plus I'm told lost a bonus.

I've also found customers account details aren't all that secure. I've had a few times when paying money into a suppliers account I receive a receipt back with that suppliers bank balance printed on it.

I had a mate that worked in my local bank branch in the UK, he would tell everyone in our drinking gang how much people earned, who was in debt etc...

This is not unique to Thailand..

nobody said it only happens in Thailand. but its my first time of experiencing this and unfortunately its in THAILAND !!

I had a mate that worked in my local bank branch in the UK, he would tell everyone in our drinking gang how much people earned, who was in debt etc...

This is not unique to Thailand..

nobody said it only happens in Thailand. but its my first time of experiencing this and unfortunately its in THAILAND !!

But it is totally out of order isn't it!! vote with your feet, close your account and do more banking online and at the CDM machine.

Now is this part of the norm?

even the street street vendors will know exactly how much cash you currently have in a thai bank. the notion of privacy doesnt exist. as far as i can see farangs business is everyones common knowledge even if you tell absolutely no one.

I needed a letter to confirm my acc.balance for immigration,i got one ok.in a nice bank envelope,cost me 700bht.and hr.and half running around reason the clerk had put someone else's account details. the manager did say sorry it was a new starter.

A few months ago my wife drew 80000 bht out of her account and when the teller handed it over she counted it in front of him and it was 10000 bht short I am pretty sure he did this on purpose thinking she wouldn't check before leaving the counter.

The only times I have ever seen a bank deal with +/- 80K baht deposit or withdrawal, they ran it through one of those bill counter machines 2 or 3 times in the customer's view.

why must you display your insanity to public glare ? all your comments are just sickening

Keep your accounts in another province if you are so worried about people knowing your bank balance. Might be worth the 20 baht transaction fees to make withdrawals. Do other stuff online.

My accounts are in Bangkok, so noone in Sisaket where i live would know I guess (not done that way because I crave privacy). Trouble is, if the collective paranoia paraded here is indeed founded then 8 million people know my affairsbiggrin.png

• Like 2

I went to a Krung Thai ATM / Deposit machine this AM. I collected from the trash several deposit ATM slips on which the complete account number and the amount deposited are both listed. On the withdrawal slips the number is truncated but the total balance is also displayed. It seems the Thais are lax with this information but, really, what could anyone do with it -- except gossip.

Keep your accounts in another province if you are so worried about people knowing your bank balance. Might be worth the 20 baht transaction fees to make withdrawals. Do other stuff online.

My accounts are in Bangkok, so noone in Sisaket where i live would know I guess (not done that way because I crave privacy). Trouble is, if the collective paranoia paraded here is indeed founded then 8 million people know my affairsbiggrin.png

Just wondering what sort of "affairs" you're talking about.

Some of those bank teller girls in Isaan are pretty hot -- you should be delighted that they would take even the slightest bit of interest in you.

Heh..

Not interested in you, but something else.

Don't fool yourself.

They've got their interests -- and I would have mine.