CMU Steak

jonwilly

A couple of months ago this place received a negative review on the board.

I go past say a dozen to twenty times a week and have often wondered if they have improved for it is located quite close to me.

Yesterday I decided to give it a go and see if now acceptable.

Hum, well I can certainly understand the negative review.

Being polite, the staff are pure amateur. A young man and woman front of house and similar in the kitchen. I will suggest none have been professionally trained and have just picked up the job as they go along.

However typically Thai polite and non offensive.

I decided to go whole hog and ordered the Tee Bone Steak B259. Normal range of steaks all Thai CMU Beef and a Pork chop plus sausages available.

I am not a Thai speaker and their English was less then my Thai.

The Steak was small and say 1/4 inch thick after cooking. Very tasty, now I am no cook but even I can grill a steak hence me thinking that after a month or so their 'Chief' should be up to standard.

My only complaint on my Tee Bone was an excessive amount of Pepper used. I never add condiments except salt and vinegar on Fish & Chips.

I had two cups of strong (Hill Tribe ?) coffee B35 each and a bottle of cold water, total bill for a tasty steak with a few French fries and salad was B320.

On leaving I popped my head into the kitchen area and by imitating a Pepper grinder explained too much pepper, they smiled and I think they understood.

I will go again perhaps next week.

CMU steak could use some serious advice from a Thai speaking person.

john

• Like 1

On leaving I popped my head into the kitchen area and by imitating a Pepper grinder explained too much pepper, they smiled and I think they understood.

I will go again perhaps next week.

Perhaps next time it will have too much snot or saliva.

• Like 1

When I was there the last one to hide behind the front counter was the one left with the cooking duties. As the or one of the ONR (original negative reviewers, now that's a name for an avatar or rock band) I agree with this OP's comments and am glad they might have learnt to cook a steak correctly. As for the snot or salvia comment in all the kitchen's I've ever worked in I've never seen this kind of conduct and think by in large it's an urban myth (my personal experiences has been backed up with scientific research - really!). Can you really see a little Thai CM U female student doing a work study for credit in a school restaurant spitting in someone's food? My previous post biggest point was that they said this place is not staffed by proffesionals as it's just to promote the product, so serving it horribly cooked then and now still not being serious enough to have someone in charge helping and training I'm for one aren't going to let them play with my lunch and then make me pay for it as well. No thanks.

Edited by junglechef

As for the snot or salvia comment in all the kitchen's I've ever worked in I've never seen this kind of conduct and think by in large it's an urban myth

It's not. I don't have nearly your experience working in restaurants, but I have seen it. I worked as an expeditor at one place and I leaned over and looked in the kitchen and saw each cook expectorate in a baked potato before it went out. I quit the next day as I had to eat there too. sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

• Like 1

If you go west nearly to the end of Suthep Road there is a new place called "Steak Doctor." It is just before the last pub up that way called "Derm Derm" and before the Pun Pun vegetarian restaurant which has been there a few years. Drive slow and you can't miss the sign on your left.

I haven't been there but would appreciate a review.

"Perhaps next time it will have too much snot or saliva."

Sh1t I don't want to dine at your place.

I have had friends who worked in the catering industry and as they have said never upset the waiters, The 'Chef' may or may not be proud of his food but it's the folk who deal with the customer who take their revenge.

john

Original Negative Reviewer,

Now that I like.

• Like 1

UG I know it happens, seen the youtube vids of fast food places where some punk "hucking a louie" in a cops big mac but I hope I'm not mistaken and it's a regulat practice at restaurants that have proper management. In my book it's even blasphemy to use derogatory remarks when referring to food even if it is sh*#! I realize everyone has their own level of professionalism but I believe most people wouldn't act in such manner. But back to here, it's such a faux pas to blow one's nose at a dinning room table, while eating or while other are eating in Thailand I would find it strange indeed to hear about that happening here. So either eat at places that aren't obviously not worthy or stop pissing them off so much.rolleyes.gif

Edited by junglechef

I've worked at Dominoes (roach problem), Little Ceasar's (worst pizza), Pizza Hut (they will recycle old, frozen pizzas), The Springfield Country Club ("coke is the best mask for bourbon while you work"), and an Iranian pizza place called "Malek's"; short for Malekabzudallah or something. Never saw anyone intentionally contaminate a customer's food. It's actually a felony in some jurisdictions. A Salvadoran pizza maker dropping a pizza dough on the floor and picking it up and still using it was about the worst thing I witnessed. So, I too, think it is mostly urban myth, but I, too, have seen the videos. Now, the K-12 students and the teacher's food.....that has happened a lot. I haven't turned my back on the students (while teaching) since Maria stabbed Fernando, during the 45 seconds it took me to turn around and place my bet on the third race at Santa Anita. The exacta paid 22.40; Maria got a nine day suspension.

• Like 1

I am afraid I've seen food spat on in the kitchen. The first time was by a chef in Australia, known as Rotten Rodney the Tucker F....er, who detested the owner of the establishment for many good reasons and would garnish his steak that way. The other time was when a cook in a pub restaurant spat into to the oil to test if it was hot enough. Sometimes it is better not to see what goes on in a kitchen.

Anthony Bourdain offered good advice about restaurant kitchens. He said check the toilets, the easiest part of the establishment to keep clean, and if they are dirty then don't hold out much hope for the cleanliness of the kitchen.

Spitting into oil to see if it's hot is not a health hazard but not the best practice in an open kitchen. Sure the 3 second rule etc, but these are just behind the scenes stuff, gross, but not dangerous. I can only imagine what is done in other professions that seems off kilter to the general public. As for Rotten Rodney this is what I was referring to as not eating at place not worthy and the owner should have known better then to let him in his kitchen!