Edited by papa al

New rules are in force from 2_6_14

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is tha Feb 6 or June 2?

Both are passed, so moot I guess.

The 2nd of June to be accurate.

On my last visit to oz, I enquired about a motor cycle licence, so it could be added to my Thai licence.

As I hadn't held a motorbike licence for some years, I was told I had to do a full learner's course. Cost? $800.00.

I'll stay with the car only.

On my last visit to oz, I enquired about a motor cycle licence, so it could be added to my Thai licence.

As I hadn't held a motorbike licence for some years, I was told I had to do a full learner's course. Cost? $800.00.

I don't understand - why don't you make a Thai license, then you can drive in Oz with the Thai permit plus Thai international license.

I don't understand - why don't you make a Thai license, then you can drive in Oz with the Thai permit plus Thai international license.

Yes, I suppose I could, but when I asked if I could get a motor cycle licence at the same time as one for the car, I was told that as it was not on my International Licence, they couldn't do it.

Yes, I suppose I could, but when I asked if I could get a motor cycle licence at the same time as one for the car, I was told that as it was not on my International Licence, they couldn't do it.

yes, you would have to pass the full Thai test.

International DL is a bit of a misnomer.

It is a just a translation of your license into numerous languages.

Get a Thai bike DL here and International DL for it.

Use it in Oz for bike, or maybe you could present it to upgrade to MC endorsement there.

Sabai sabai.

In the US, foreign or even out-of-state licenses are good for 30 days, but how will the coppers know how long one has been in state?

If they ask anything, best tell them: 'no talky without lawyer'...

The 5th Amendment right....but I digress....

Edited by papa al

I had a similar question in Canada. I asked if I could transfer my overseas motorbike licence into a Canadian (one province) one. They asked the country where I had the licence. I told them, "Thailand."

Once they stopped laughing, their answer was a simple, "No."

I'm not paying out that full cost for the learner's course either, so will stick with my Canadian car licence only.

• Like 1