Is there a Legal way to modify a motorbike and put it into the a green book?

I'm getting a Ninja 300 very soon and wanted to add a akrapovic exhaust or TBR exhaust I know what police are like around isaan and any loud exhaust will attract them like fly on dog shit so I wanted to ask if there was a perfectly legal method of reporting the mod to my insurance company to make things legal so whenever they say anything I can just whip out the papers and show them. I know a few 100s baht isn't much but It's the hassle and I hear bikes get impound even for smaller mods.

any experience or knowledge will be great. Also anyone have issues with adding vinyl stickers and getting hassled or LED's to their bikes?

Sorry to say, but the Thai law and rules about motor vehicles is very specific about modifications that can change the amount of exhaust emission. If you want to change the exhaust system fully by the book you should have the motorcycle re-tested for exhaust emission and carry the or copy of the certificate with you at all time.

While the Thai motorcycle industry has a somewhat self imposed limitation on how much sound a motorcycle can make, the official law limits motorcycles at 94dB (which is the same amount as championship/professional motocross bike makes). It's therefore very unlikely that any aftermarket exhaust system would be illegal...

Anyway if you have have a certificate for your exhaust system you should get it authenticated at your local Department of Land Transport.

To be honest I know NOBODY who did this....

I'm mainly worried about the police around here just wanting quick tea money, I'm not going to modify my bike apart from decals and the exhaust which you and another user also mentioned will come with a certificate to prove that it is road legal but can I ask will this make them turn away from fining me or even in rare cases take my bike in?, even with the correct certificate will they take this as real evidence. I know it can be from officer to officer but surely with these papers saying they're road legal they won't legally be allowed to fine me? I will also Have my HD drift recording at all times when im riding so I can use this as evidence if these rare cases happen.

If you have the papers that comply with the Motor regulations you should be clear. Led's no problem I have about 28 strands of lights & never get stopped. They come stock now on most autos. Try to get a normal looking exhaust . The ones that have the multicolor ends on the cans are just asking for them to crawl up their ass. A nice Apropovic or a Red Devil,Yoshimira Leo Vance etc. all have supporting numbers right on the exhaust. Now if you take out the baffles or packing if it goes over the amt. of legal DB's than you can get yanked.

Hey enjoy your ninja! I heard they are real fun!

I always like when Richard posts since he deals in bikes & has good knowledge of the whats what in bike requirements.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I run a Yoshimura BIG bore can on my Kawasaki ER6N and got pulled at a set of traffic lights in Ubon the other daywhere the police were pulling everything with two wheels. Got told that the exhaust wasn't sold with the bike so is too load. When I questioned how many db's is to load he could only answer it isn't stock. Anyway got a 1000 baht fine for my troubles and was told what a great looking bike I had. But it didn't stop him giving the ticket, just reduced the amount from 2000 baht.

Cops are cops and can do anything they want to a stupid farang.

What are you going to do, report him to his chief who is getting the majority cut?

I was once stopped in Buriram in my 3-months-old new car with 100% okay documents and Thai DL, which copper was holding in his hand.

TGF advised to give him 200baht or I wouldn't get my DL back.

On the other hand, I was once check-pointed without any ID, riding a borrowed scooter with expired everything.

I was wearing a helmet, but had no wallet, no money...they let me go.

whistling.gif

I got devil full system on ninja 300

Just got it

Im in pattaya

Should i expect police problems?

I got db killer in it

How much they will fine me if anything?

Please refer to another thread which discusses this exact concern ad nauseum.