What's the salary of a Thai soldier?

bkkgooner

Just curious as my wife is claiming it is 4,000 or so per month for a new recruit after tax, clothes and food is deducted. She said she saw some video on the news today of a soldier speaking about it and I'm finding it difficult to believe

My nephew turned 21 this year and had to go through the conscription lotto. You pull the wrong coloured ball out of a barrel and you're lumped with 24 months service. I think they only took 10 out of 400 the day he did it so the odds were good and he was lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe they are also compulsory conscripts from the age of 18.

not quite right charlie,

they go and do black ball red ball, not sure which way it is, but say its black your in red you dont have to,,or the other way round, and i think they have till there 21 to go and do there time,

its something like that mate, the wifes brother did it,

jake,

ill ask her about the money in the morning when we skype,

I had two nephews who had to go for the draft, one was a good for nothing hang around home and do nothing, two years in the army would probably do him good. The other was relatively ambitious had a job and was just married and had a baby coming on, he didn't need to get drafted, so guess who did. Five years later the good for nothing is still a do nothing at home.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Just curious as my wife is claiming it is 4,000 or so per month for a new recruit after tax, clothes and food is deducted."

Assuming the pay is 9K as shown in the link, there would be no tax due on that amount.

She thinks they have to pay for food and clothes?

• Like 1

yes they pay for their clothes etc out of their first couple of months payments...my wives nephew was in the air force...on his first leave home he had about 2000 bht to spend.....he had to pay for his clothes, uniform and other bits and pieces....that's a bout 3 years ago....but they get free health care for themselves and immediate family....

• Like 1

I think it is more tha 4000 per month but i had gf in the milatary and she would not tell me her salary only to say it was very low and she could not lie ery well on the salary

I believe they are also compulsory conscripts from the age of 18.

When you reach the age of 18 you enter a lottery...if you pick out an odd No. ball you'r conscripted if you pick an even No. ....then off you go on your merry way....or visa verse...

My wifes waste of space son, was called up.

So to avoid The military, He joined the Monk brigade.

Month late, bombing about hair grown back

Poncing off his mother!.

What language is that you are writing in?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

A friend got the red ball about 2 years ago. Infantry but ended up as a hospital clerk in the Infantry (still did basic training, grunting and slept 70 in a room).

I think he said 8,000 a month, but they take your food and bed away from that. 4-5,000 sounds right

The number of red balls depends on the requirement of the area. In his town, there were 700 boys attending but only 70 were needed that time.

The "tea money" was 30,000 then (to avoid), but I dont know "who gets the tea money"

I believe that there is/was another form of tea money, where the boy can go home after a few weeks, but the NCO or somebody "continues" to collect the salary. Not fully sure about how it works.

Some boys get sent to the homes of officers to be servants. I live near a commodore or somebody senior, and he had 2 boys washing and cleaning as resident servants...but it seems to have reduced to one boy now. I think this must be quite good as a posting, because the boy seems to be cleaning the cars and then having a cigarette 20 times a day.

Again, this is simply what I have been told or observed myself. It is the system here. I don't have any moral viewpoint. It has been like this for years, I guess.

Eddy

My son in law was just recruited last month from the ball process and was happy to go...9000 a month everything else is provided free ..kit and food all in.

They actually are not allowed any communication..phones etc for the first 3 months but the company/new recruits regiment has a facebook page and it is updated by the seniors/officers regular with photos and from what i have seen the training although hard is fair and thorough,and the lads seem to be enjoying the new experience!

He has just completed a month and they have an open day on sunday for friends and family to visit and after 3 moths they get there first leave for about a week.

facepalm.gif Hmmm, I made $78 a month when I joined the USN in 1961. We've gone a long way baby.blink.png

And the pay increased to $134 per month by 1971. Then the US began military reforms to create a volunteer army and pay for an E1 (new recruit) was doubled to $268! Ka ching!

Conscription in the USA ended in 1973...

Aside from the guns and friends with guns, I thought the benefits were the same as any other government job here?

Their salary maybe low but tons of benefits for them and their families.

The system is not fair, either everybody should do service and this includes the rich, who usually buy their way out. Or it should be volunteer only.

Courts could give criminals the choice of army or jail. Army would probably change their lives around.