What's the salary of a Thai soldier?

bkkgooner

facepalm.gif Hmmm, I made $78 a month when I joined the USN in 1961. We've gone a long way baby.blink.png

And the pay increased to $134 per month by 1971. Then the US began military reforms to create a volunteer army and pay for an E1 (new recruit) was doubled to $268! Ka ching!

Conscription in the USA ended in 1973...

And ? blink.png

• Like 1

My son in law was just recruited last month from the ball process and was happy to go...9000 a month everything else is provided free ..kit and food all in.

They actually are not allowed any communication..phones etc for the first 3 months but the company/new recruits regiment has a facebook page and it is updated by the seniors/officers regular with photos and from what i have seen the training although hard is fair and thorough,and the lads seem to be enjoying the new experience!

He has just completed a month and they have an open day on sunday for friends and family to visit and after 3 moths they get there first leave for about a week.

It gives them a purpose in life. thumbsup.gif

facepalm.gif Hmmm, I made $78 a month when I joined the USN in 1961. We've gone a long way baby.blink.png

Hard to remember. I joined the Air Force in 1955, but because of Civil Air Patrol I joined as an E-2. I think I got about that, maybe $72, an E-1 got less. Of course there was a pay raise in there at the same time they were drastically reducing the size of all the Armed Forces. Draft helped keep the monthly pay low until about 1975. I was lucky they started raising pay to be competitive with civilian employers up until I retired in 1982.

Actually, 4,000 THB a month sounds like a pretty good deal to me. That's after all his meals, housing, and clothing are paid for. I don't think the conscripts are allowed much free time, and aren't allowed to go off-post. What's he gonna spend it on, betting on football?

A friend got the red ball about 2 years ago. Infantry but ended up as a hospital clerk in the Infantry (still did basic training, grunting and slept 70 in a room).

I think he said 8,000 a month, but they take your food and bed away from that. 4-5,000 sounds right

The number of red balls depends on the requirement of the area. In his town, there were 700 boys attending but only 70 were needed that time.

The "tea money" was 30,000 then (to avoid), but I dont know "who gets the tea money"

I believe that there is/was another form of tea money, where the boy can go home after a few weeks, but the NCO or somebody "continues" to collect the salary. Not fully sure about how it works.

Some boys get sent to the homes of officers to be servants. I live near a commodore or somebody senior, and he had 2 boys washing and cleaning as resident servants...but it seems to have reduced to one boy now. I think this must be quite good as a posting, because the boy seems to be cleaning the cars and then having a cigarette 20 times a day.

Again, this is simply what I have been told or observed myself. It is the system here. I don't have any moral viewpoint. It has been like this for years, I guess.

Eddy

The same people get the tea money who are running the country now.

Writing all the new rules for the election.

The Elite!

I had a gf who was regular army for 5 years and had a desk job. I think she said she took home 15,000 a month, here in Bkk.

Did not date her very long unfortunately... but she looked so sharp in that uniform.

My wifes waste of space son, was called up.

So to avoid The military, He joined the Monk brigade.

Month late, bombing about hair grown back

Poncing off his mother!.

My wife's useless hairball turns 18 next month, and I pray that he gets the Army ball. However, since he quit school at 15, they might not take him (?) On the other hand, he'd look great in a saffron sheet with a buzzcut, carrying a bowl, out in the sleepy streets, EARLY in the morning. Better yet if his wat was in the Deep South.

• Like 2

I believe they are also compulsory conscripts from the age of 18.

When you reach the age of 18 you enter a lottery...if you pick out an odd No. ball you'r conscripted if you pick an even No. ....then off you go on your merry way....or visa verse...

21 not 18

1957 USAF as a One Stripper, $85.00 a month, food and uniform furnished. Two to a room sleeping arrangment. Learned a trade that has allowd me to make two to three times the average wage ever since.

My Thai Step-son is in college, Electrical Engineering. In two years when he graduates he has to do Red/Back Ball. Told him get a commission and maybe be a lifer. As an EE he should start in the industry at $25.000 to $30,000 THB a month and top out at 45,000 to 60,000 or more if a Japanese Company likes him.

Back to the subjest, I understand you can pay your way out by having another serve for you.

I wish the US had two years mandatory instead of welfare. Hell there are many more on welfare than in the service and not getting shot at ir learning a damn thing.

• Like 1

1957 USAF as a One Stripper, $85.00 a month, food and uniform furnished. Two to a room sleeping arrangment. Learned a trade that has allowd me to make two to three times the average wage ever since.

My Thai Step-son is in college, Electrical Engineering. In two years when he graduates he has to do Red/Back Ball. Told him get a commission and maybe be a lifer. As an EE he should start in the industry at $25.000 to $30,000 THB a month and top out at 45,000 to 60,000 or more if a Japanese Company likes him.

Back to the subjest, I understand you can pay your way out by having another serve for you.

I wish the US had two years mandatory instead of welfare. Hell there are many more on welfare than in the service and not getting shot at ir learning a damn thing.

You were a stripper? Sorry, man. Couldn't resist.

Their salary maybe low but tons of benefits for them and their families.

Since you seem to know, please list those "tons of benefits" ... or at least some of the significant ones.

My son in law was just recruited last month from the ball process and was happy to go...9000 a month everything else is provided free ..kit and food all in.

They actually are not allowed any communication..phones etc for the first 3 months but the company/new recruits regiment has a facebook page and it is updated by the seniors/officers regular with photos and from what i have seen the training although hard is fair and thorough,and the lads seem to be enjoying the new experience!

He has just completed a month and they have an open day on sunday for friends and family to visit and after 3 moths they get there first leave for about a week.

Finally! .... someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

In that video that has gone viral the soldier says that the basic rate is about 4000, but plus various allowances and extras it adds to around 8000 before tax.

He does go onto to say that precious little of that is left after having buy his own ceremonial uniform and other bits and bobs.

Mind you, you have to buy your own dress uniform in the UK military too.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

They are obliged to register at the Amphur when they are 18, but they don't attend the lottery until they are 20, then if they draw to be conscripted it doesn't happen until the 21st birthday. On the day of the draw, anyone who admits being a katooey

is exempted, limpers and walking wounded are deferred until the following year. The salary is low it was 6k then but at the

end of the two years my step son came out with 16k which was enforced savings. He spent the first year lazing on the beach at Mae Pim guarding the old empty palace there, then he did a year in Chon Buri as a roustabout/guard on one of the officer's

apartment developments, for which he was supposed to get paid but didn't, and being Thai didn't make a fuss. But when the

demo's were on the word went out and he had to don the uniform again for a few weeks.

The other week we were coming back from Lop Buri, stopped to fuel up and there were two deserters at the servo trying to hitchback to Chantaburi. I was driving but my BIL wouldn't take them as they were in Army PT gear and he said we could get in

trouble, however the family chipped in to the tune of 800baht and told them to get the bus. Wife said they were homesick, I

just though they were numbnuts for trying to run away with no money and in recognisable kit

• Like 1

They get 9.000bht a month,when they reach 20 they get a letter to attend,then they pick out of a box who is going in,and who stays out,it doesnt matter if you want to join you still have to pick out of a box,if you dont attend the police are sent round to arrest you.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to my previous post for anybody interested the lad came home after doing 10 weeks of training and said the training was hard but fair,he was allowed 10 days leave and is now on a three week on 1 week off basis so all in all not a bad set up.

Any new entrants are paid 9.000 a month but do not get anything until the end of the third month when all is paid into there account.

He lost 6 kilo in the first 2 months and his voice has broke laugh.png but he has met some very good new friends and officers and the experience i can see is benefiting his progression as a human being.

A point worth making is at the moment the forces have more than enough recruits so he has the possibility of leaving in November if he or the powers that be decide this.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Military is compulsory at age 21. They can volunteer or, go through the process where red and black cards are drawn.  You are drafted if you pick a red card. My son picked 1 of only 2 red cards for the Thai Navy more than 3 months ago. He entered basic Aug. 1st. He just went back after his first leave.

They receive 10,000 Baht of which the military holds back all expenses including living expense, uniforms, laundry, annual insurance, etc. They will average 7,000 to 8,000.

My son has said barracks house 160 recruits. He is 1 of 2 Thai-Americans and said dual national recruits are somewhat treated ok. Rich or famous will get all the easy jobs. He said the food is edible but water is not so good. He prefers bottled water, which they pay for it. They have time to call home in the afternoons.

His rank and time in is limited due to tattoos. He can stay in but can reach a certain level.