Everyone's failing the new driving test in Thailand

Everyone's failing the new driving test in Thailand

exam.jpg?itok=pTky2-lK

THAILAND:-- Until recently, the driver's license exam was kind of a joke. Aspiring motorists need only answer 75 percent of its 30 questions correctly to pass.

But after a new version launched Monday featuring 50 questions and a 90 percent threshhold, everyone's suddenly bombing on the test.
Of more than 200 to take the test Monday in Chiang Mai, fewer than one-in-10 managed to pass, according to the Bangkok Post.
Under the new system designed to increase the test's integrity, it's administered via computer touch screens which give immediate results.
However questions still pertain to esoteric details like whether one should park 30 or 35 centimeters from a curb.
The Department of Land Transport introduced the new exam system because a lack of ability among drivers has been faulted for the prevalence of accidents.
test_0.jpg
Source: cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-05

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha when I took the test a couple of years ago, one of the questions was whether or

not a tank could drive down the road. Perhaps they fire the idiots that make up questions

like that, rather than altering the pass percent threshold....

The actual questions are at fault. Presuming they are the same ones.

Believe it is a new pool of 1000 questions that the 50 are chosen from now. Previous pool was 300 for 30 questions. Supposedly the 1000 questions are available to review online somewhere but haven't found them yet.

Misguided concept that increasing the threshold will make better drivers for all of us.

These test are designed solely to reduce the amount of traffic on the roads and absolutely nothing to reduce accidents!

The danger now are the existing drivers on the road, and absolute lack of enforcement and discipline. Oh yeah, and fix those broken traffic signals, missing signs, blocked signs, etc..etc.

Haha when I took the test a couple of years ago, one of the questions was whether or

not a tank could drive down the road. Perhaps they fire the idiots that make up questions

A tank can drive down the road but a vehicle without a wind screen can not.............hmmmm so much for that, E-tans from the farms are always driving around and they have no windscreens. I am not picking on you about the tank I remember the same question too. It's just funny that the law says one thing and then does the other. Drive safely!

Edited by Eddy B

The questions pertain to all info in the book. It's there to learn, memorise and regurgitate.

They fail because there's nobody to copy off!

Have you taken the old test? The images are about the size of a postage stamp with resolution that would have looked primitive in 1982. "Who has the right of way in this situaiton?" - and honestly, you can't make out what the situation is... Hopefully they have remedied that - lord knows people must have complained before, though often this is the best way to get things NOT changed.

What about the practical driving test?

Shouldn't that be reformed to enhance driver capability?

The only thing the practical teaches you is to how to park your civic at the mall without scratching the merc beside you. Nothing else.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The questions pertain to all info in the book. It's there to learn, memorise and regurgitate.

They fail because there's nobody to copy off!

Have you taken the old test? The images are about the size of a postage stamp with resolution that would have looked primitive in 1982. "Who has the right of way in this situaiton?" - and honestly, you can't make out what the situation is... Hopefully they have remedied that - lord knows people must have complained before, though often this is the best way to get things NOT changed.

I remember the little grids and boxes color coded to resemble cars; but the colors looked similar and the patterns in total disarray. Was a total farce, haha.

no surprises here, did anyone expect them to actually study or learn the road rules when greasing someones palm is much easier. Could guarantee that the majority of thai drivers are blissfully unaware of the road rules and have no intention of ever finding out about them, learning them or ever obeying/abiding by them, its simply a mater of what I want I do.

"The Department of Land Transport introduced the new exam system because a lack of ability among drivers has been faulted for the prevalence of accidents".

More important is proper policing by the BIB on the road.

I was last of 5 to do practical that day. For parallel parking, 3 of the 5 knocked over the rear limit marker and still passed. When I got into the space without hitting anything and within the limits from the curb, the inspector had to come down from perch and check. Her eyebrows raised about an inch!

the test questions in english and their answers were just not matching in the earlier version.
I took the test and failed the first time because i got 21 instead of 23 while i was showing the examiner that 3 answers that the computer gave was wrong ...but nothing could be done. Second time i got 27 and still 2 answers were giving wrong feedback but then i just left it as it is.

In stead of asking silly questions about weather one should stop 30 meters or 35 meters behind a red light ....more logical ones should be used like...should one park outside a shop just to buy something on a busy street?

Yep, me too. Driving a tank down the Super Hwy is perfectly legal. I have a used Abrams on order. I plan to drive it to the license facility and if they give me any problem, well I'll just roll right over the morons. LOL

The more difficult exam or procedure to pass, the more licenseless drivers on roads. Situation could be worse off, as far as there is little enforcement of basics, I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

the test questions in english and their answers were just not matching in the earlier version.

I took the test and failed the first time because i got 21 instead of 23 while i was showing the examiner that 3 answers that the computer gave was wrong ...but nothing could be done. Second time i got 27 and still 2 answers were giving wrong feedback but then i just left it as it is.

In stead of asking silly questions about weather one should stop 30 meters or 35 meters behind a red light ....more logical ones should be used like...should one park outside a shop just to buy something on a busy street?

Or a better question yet might be, "are you required to stop when the light turns red"? LOL I wonder how many Thais would get that one wrong. Probably most.

Priceless,, I wonder how many locals would sit scratching their heads over this one. laugh.png

Good. And they should make all existing drivers take the new exam also. And the practical as well. Sick of sharing the road with a bunch of dangerous people with no idea what traffic culture is. Dangerous. whistling.gif