Got letter of agreement for child support

bkkheat

Hi,

Some people may remember my previous topic on getting a divorce with my wife and she wanting 20K per month.

We have negotiated to 10K per month, but I will always buy my daughter more things and pay for her education when she gets older.

There is one thing in the agreement I want to fully understand but not sure if I am just tired or what, but what does the following mean?

According to the payment of child support under the item 1, the amount of THB 60,000 would be initial braked down and estimated under the fact of daily expenditures for staying, education, travelling, medical payment and relevant other expenses which be happened of the child’s life.

Does this mean that education, traveling, medical expenses are included in the 10K?

Mr. xxxx will continue to pay child support to Ms. yyyy for child until that child attains the age of twenty-one (21) years. Mr. xxxx and Ms. yyyy acknowledge their continuing responsibility to support the child, up to and including financial support for their tertiary education.

Is 21 the usual age to stop paying child support?

Also, I would like to see a lawyer, anyone can recommend a good one in Bangkok?

Pointless to make an agreement for this amount, way more than a court would award.

Agree 3k a month, then you are free to give more if you want.

Why tie yourself down?

If you can't understand the wording, nobody else will either, leaving you open for more demands.

Don't sign the existing document under any circumstances.

Normal agreement at Amphur office is in the form of,

"Father agrees to pay 3000bht a month for the child support of daughter Blah Blah, until she either leaves full time education or reaches the age of xx."

Written on the back of the divorce document.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Never sign anything you don't fully understand, or that could be interpreted more than one way.

AnotherOneAmerican is right on. Agree to 3k and then pay more at times but only to the child for specific things.

I wouldn't sign anything that didn't have a certified translation in clear English. That English sucks and none of us could understand it. Get it clearly spelled out, but don't agree to anything that has 60k in the sentence.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Be careful of using some of these fly by night organisations, that try to look credible. Always worth googling some that you may see advertising, there are some interesting accounts of dodg practices.

Agree with rgs on his advice., you won't go wrong with Tilleke.

Well I think I will just take it to court as I have a lawyer now, she now sent me a custody agreement that basically I can only see her when she allows it.

No way I will pay her 10k and not able to see my daughter on an agreement.