bike in Bangkok and where to buy

Hi people!

I'm looking for bike for trip by rural roads to Cambodia, Laos, Northern Thailand during 2 month and if it will be possible to Myanmar, something cheap and simple but not scooter. The most important things for me are easy to fix and find spare parts. My budget is 12-15 000 baht. One person 75kg + backpack 10 kg. I already did research on www.olx.co.th, so how do you think which motorcycle should i buy? Where is motorbike market in Bangkok?

• Yamaha RX100
  • Yamaha RX-Z
  • Yamaha RX-S
  • Honda CG
  • Honda Wing
  • Honda GL100
  • Honda JX110
  • Kawasaki GTO
Edited by Dmitriy K

Difficult to get reliability for that money.

Up the money and get a used CBR150. I don't know how much the carb'd model go for now, 20-25k?

I won't spend more money then 15 000, after 2-3 month I'll sell or leave it somewhere :)

I know it's a scooter ( well sort of) but try to get a Honda Wave, the best bet in these regions, you will find parts and repairshops in all the countries you mention.

But i have to say your budget is very tight.

good luck.

I know it's a scooter ( well sort of) but try to get a Honda Wave, the best bet in these regions, you will find parts and repairshops in all the countries you mention.

But i have to say your budget is very tight.

good luck.

Thanks dude, but I feel uncomfortable without the fuel tank between my legs :)

I take it you are not in Thailand?

I second the Wave.

None of the bikes on your list are sold in Thailand so you will never get parts for them if you break down.

Wave was/is probably the most popular bike in Thailand.

An underbone like a Wave is easy to handle off road and there are rough roads surrounding Thailand.

Mocyc.com is your best bet to find a used bike but if you can't speak Thai.....out of luck.

So then a dealership, they are everywhere in BKK but no big ones.

Just small shops with 5-10 overpriced crappy bikes.

Frankly you're asking for the impossible.

You either need to up your budget, get a Wave, or just rent a bike.

I did a 700km loop through Laos with a proper dirt bike but saw the locals on Wave like bikes doing anything they wanted.

You better have a GPS and a mobile with respective GSM cards.

If you are in rural areas and get hurt, you might not see a car for hours.

If you ride alone accept that you might die on the side of the road if you crash.

GTrider is a better site to read up on Laos and how 3rd world it is.

• Like 1

The Yamaha RX-Z's and Kawasaki GTO's you could find second hand, but in that price range probaly need some attention. Could be an alternative for the Wave, but more thirsty then a Wave ( and need 2T oil as well) and not sure parts are easy to get in surrounding countries.

There is a recent thread about Kawasaki's GTO and where to buy.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729755-wanted-kawasaki-gto-with-book/

post-143096-0-23220700-1402137140_thumb.

post-143096-0-92088700-1402137164_thumb.

• Like 1

I second the Wave.

None of the bikes on your list are sold in Thailand so you will never get parts for them if you break down.

All this bikes I found in OLX, not from my dream smile.pngYamaha RXZ or Kawasaki GTO. Question is which one is more reliable for this trip.

Frankly you're asking for the impossible.

You either need to up your budget, get a Wave, or just rent a bike.

I often listen it.. u can not, it's impossible and etc. For example yesterday I've got thai driver license with tourist visa in Bangkok, I did it in one day, but now there is a waiting list to 06 July even for thais. You can check threads how many people said what its not possible to do.

I did a 700km loop through Laos with a proper dirt bike but saw the locals on Wave like bikes doing anything they wanted.

You better have a GPS and a mobile with respective GSM cards.

If you are in rural areas and get hurt, you might not see a car for hours.

If you ride alone accept that you might die on the side of the road if you crash.

GTrider is a better site to read up on Laos and how 3rd world it is.

You are right about GPS (I have it in HTC smartphone) and get injury. It make me worried a little because I'm going alone through Cardamons but in dry season. I'm not experienced rider but I did 4 000 km through Vietnam on Honda XR250 and I know what to expect.

The Yamaha RX-Z's and Kawasaki GTO's you could find second hand, but in that price range probaly need some attention. Could be an alternative for the Wave, but more thirsty then a Wave ( and need 2T oil as well) and not sure parts are easy to get in surrounding countries.

There is a recent thread about Kawasaki's GTO and where to buy.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729755-wanted-kawasaki-gto-with-book/

attachicon.gifRX-Z.jpg

attachicon.gifgto.jpg

Thanks Dutchbike, its really helpful smile.png GTO is getting my favorite

It is 'reliable' & cheap, but if you are looking for availability of spare parts, the Kawasaki is a poor candidate, especially outside LOS.

I'm guessing they have never seen a Kawasaki in many parts of rural Laos.

Easiest parts & service = Honda.

No doubt.

Speed limit in Cambodia is 60KPH...36MPH.

Roads in Lao & Cambodia are crappy so not much use for fast bike.

For 15,000baht limit, I'd go with a used Honda Wave for sure, but 'up to you".

Lash your backpack between you legs if it makes you feel better.

If somehow you could cough up the extra scratch, an older CBR150 would be ideal.

You could recoup the investment at resale.

Invest in a 450baht alarm disk brake lock & a cable/chain & padlock as thieves very like Hondas too.

Myanmar won't let you and your bike in...maybe someday, I hope.

Good luck.

[what time-frame are you considering?]
Edited by papa al

Like others have said if you want spare parts in thailand most of those bikes dont qualify but you seem to know so why ask.

Anyone can get a license in a day at least i did in pattaya. Just handed them my idp and within a hour had my license.

• Like 1

The Cardomon mountains are the mountains/hills in western Cambodia. Forested, not developed, quite remote. The roads through it are graded dirt/loose dirt/rocky crap and sometimes pretty damn hairy (eg old road Koh Kong to Oh Soam).

Rainy season (June-Oct) may not be the best time to attempt it (big understatement). Mud holes galore and remote and unsupported in places, not recommended on your own or on an unreliable bike.

• Like 1

My advice would be to forget the tank between the legs, Honda wave motors are just bullet proof,

Bag of spare inner tubes + required tools

chain lube

invest in some semi off road tires

gear to keep you and your stuff dry

put an inline fuel filter in, most times you tank it will be from rice whiskey bottles with visible sediment

many guys do the same journeys on waves as the big adventure bikes, just takes longer.

• Like 1

I know you can buy those bikes from OLX.

What I meant is they are not actively sold by dealerships so finding parts will be tough.

Also people might not touch a bike they are not familiar working on, or they might destroy it for the same reason.

I've seen shoddy service work at official dealerships so you are gambling out in the rural areas.

Up to you man, enjoy your adventure.

• Like 1

My neighbor had several near perfect condition GTO's, older bikes that sold for well over 15,000 baht. None mint, old police bikes and such, but each torn down and put back together properly and with the correct parts. And that was 6-8 years ago.

Farang's tend to focus on the Wave but don't look over the veritable Honda Dream, 15,000 could buy you one in near new condition and would be easier to sell than the bikes you have listed. Ya you gotta lift the seat for a fill, but I've see a couple of modified seats that allow you to fill without doing so.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/25479-Day-Trip-The-MHS-Loop-on-a-Honda-Dream

Edited by Fishenough