Do you like, listening, to Classic music?

Is there such a thing as Thai Classicial Music?

Yes, try this for size

Link wont post in "general" , have sent via pm David.

Your wish is my ...

This is old Thai music, more folk than Classical.

Please, don't mix things up.

Hi,

I think the terms are problematic. However, in its most literal sense, "folk" music should have words - purely instrumental music as this requires study and learning, and engagement with learned traditions and teachers. Thai, Indian, Arabic, Balinese, Chinese, Japanese all represent these "classical" traditions, apart from more spontaneously-inspired, texted, folk traditions.

What Orig Poster means I believe is "Western Classical" music, sometimes called Concert Music.

YouTube is really such a gift from the Internet gods. I'm a retired music prof, left my CD collection in the Old Country, and now get my musical fixes there. I'll leave you will a couple of favorites, in honor of the recent Supermoon. You can follow the scores and texts in these versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTmjDrL44eU

AND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHMRS25P1uE

I would surely not refer to these native Japanese, Indian, or Thai musical traditions as "classical", but rather "indigenous" or "native" , as the term classical is by definition limited to the Western tradition, beginning in the early first century and going through a series of evolutions firmly rooted in Western tradition, beginning with medieval music and progressing through the Renaissance alongside the development of the Western visual arts.

There is no such thing as Thai Baroque music, just as there is no such thing as Thai Rococo art.

For something to be considered Thai Classical music, it must be informed by the western tradition, just like Russian classical music (a la Alexandr Borodin) or Spanish classical music (a la Joaquín Rodrigo).

Some countries were never touched by the Renaissance. Thailand is one of them. Therefore there is no such thing as Thai Classical music, unless it is written by a modern Thai composer who has been influenced by the western tradition.

Edit: now that I see you're a former music professor, I am awaiting my argument to be crushed.

Is there such a thing as Thai Classicial Music?

Yes, try this for size

Link wont post in "general" , have sent via pm David.

Your wish is my ...

This is old Thai music, more folk than Classical.

Please, don't mix things up.

Hi,

I think the terms are problematic. However, in its most literal sense, "folk" music should have words - purely instrumental music as this requires study and learning, and engagement with learned traditions and teachers. Thai, Indian, Arabic, Balinese, Chinese, Japanese all represent these "classical" traditions, apart from more spontaneously-inspired, texted, folk traditions.

What Orig Poster means I believe is "Western Classical" music, sometimes called Concert Music.

Edited by jackspade

Ha ha, Mr. Spade, I have my hammer in hand!
Just kiddin' - I understand your points. In western academic and professional music circles, we tend to call these learned traditions "classical" to distinguish them from more informally and spontaneously-produced "folk" production. Indigenous is also correct and often used, in the sense that these kinds of music are products of particular times and places.
Within the context of western concert music, "Classical," with the Big C, or more usually "Classic-period" music is that of the Viennese 18th century: the beloved works of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert. A very definite style period. It's confusing isn't it?
Thus I seek not to crush, merely to fluff up a little...
JackSpade wrote:

I would surely not refer to these native Japanese, Indian, or Thai musical traditions as "classical", but rather "indigenous" or "native" , as the term classical is by definition limited to the Western tradition, beginning in the early first century and going through a series of evolutions firmly rooted in Western tradition, beginning with medieval music and progressing through the Renaissance alongside the development of the Western visual arts.

There is no such thing as Thai Baroque music, just as there is no such thing as Thai Rococo art.

For something to be considered Thai Classical music, it must be informed by the western tradition, just like Russian classical music (a la Alexandr Borodin) or Spanish classical music (a la Joaquín Rodrigo).

Some countries were never touched by the Renaissance. Thailand is one of them. Therefore there is no such thing as Thai Classical music, unless it is written by a modern Thai composer who has been influenced by the western tradition.

Edit: now that I see you're a former music professor, I am awaiting my argument to be crushed.

• 10 months later...

For all the classical lovers out there, do any of you ever go to the shows at Mahidol University? The Mrs. and I love them despite being moderately difficult to get to from down town (BTS then to bus/shuttle: http://www.music.mahidol.ac.th/salayalink/)

Always an eclectic mix which often includes a piece from a Thai composer. For example, Saturday, July 24th they'll be playing Mahler and some Spanish guitar pieces. http://www.thailandphil.com/mahler-villa-lobos/

Tickets are only 300bt for a 2 hour performance. Next year, we plan on buying the season's pass.

As a note, the first time I went out there I was thinking school auditorium / gymnasium and was completely (and I'm continually) blown away by this world class venue! Gorgeous building and well air-conditioned (no need to wear shorts like I originally thought...)

• 2 weeks later...

Since I rediscovered Classical music I seldom play or listen to anything else. Mainly Classical guitar but any demonstration of extreme talent or well written piece intreges me.

Start with Bach, Gidon Kremer's Performance of Bach's Chaconne on the violin ---Yikes. Beethoven, Mozart, Paganini, Satie, Heitor Villa Lobos, Agustin Barrios,

Bad Tony

It took me eons to appreciate classical music. Contemporary pop was a catalyst.

Orchestral - philharmonic is my limit. Heavy duty orchestral - no.

Preferences - violin & oboe.

Anthony Camden (dec'd) - oboist) was a catalyst for me.

Naxus brand made CDs very affordable.