How to read an MEA electricity bill

Sortapundit

I moved into a condo in BKK on April 27th, and over a month went by before I discovered I have a mailbox here. In the box I found three electricity bills from the Metropolitan Electricity Authority, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the reading dates. Here's the most recent bill:

bill_zpsbbf5bfb6.jpg

Towards the top left of the bill is the date 19/05/57, which I assume is the date of the most recent meter reading, and in the box beneath the total are six previous dates, presumably marking previous readings. Can anyone confirm for me that 19/05/57 is the date of the last meter reading, and not just the issue date of the bill?

Also, can anyone tell me if this most recent bill represents only the electricity used this month, or if it's a cumulative total of all charges due? The reason I ask is that I also have two bills issued before I moved into the apartment, and I'd like to avoid having to pay anything more than I owe.

Im on PEA which has a different layout but here goes

Meter read 19/05/57 at 09:32 , reading 8748, units used 418, basic cost of units 1419.32. + standing charge 38.22

1457.54 + Ft (units x Current Ft (0.69/unit) 288.42 = 1745.96

1745.96 + VAT at 7% 122.22 = 1868.18

Nothing outstanding from previous bills . Total to pay 1868.18.

Maybe someone else can verify.

Edit..corrected time read. and changed a + to an =

Edited by ThaidDown

Yes, that bill reflects your total. I don't see anything outstanding from the previous month. For MEA, they would shut you off before you see the balance carried over to another month. To be sure, take it to an MEA office. I use the one in Klong Toey on Rama IV often. They are extremely efficient!

Thanks guys :) I'll head down to an MEA office to get the total owed. The other two bills for March and April are only a couple of hundred baht each (the apartment was empty), so if they tell me I owe them it's not the end of the world. What kind of grace period is there before the power is shut off? This latest bill looks like it was due on May 30th, and it might be a couple of days before I can get down to the office.

"and over a month went by before I discovered I have a mailbox here". Was it hidden?? ;)

Just to add a couple of bits of info;

1) below the last 6 month summary, there is a due date (it is probably 29/05/57 on your bill) where you can pay the bill at any 7/11, Tesco, Big C, Family Mart etc etc for a small fee. After that date you need to pay it only at a MEA office.

2) You don't state your location but if the Rama 4 office (only 3 mins walk from MRT Klong Toei station) is not proximate, then note that the main office is located adjacent to Chitlom BTS station, use exit 3 (http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/images/area-map/E1_update.gif) and also a MEA shop at Huay Kwang and other locations around BKK. Google for one nearest you.

3) MEA hours are 7:00-3pm. The best times to go are mid morning or between 2-3pm as there are usually few people at those times.

"and over a month went by before I discovered I have a mailbox here". Was it hidden?? wink.png

Kind of :P I assumed bills and mail were slipped under the door like in my last place, but here the mail room is hidden in a room behind reception. It's stupid to go a month without noticing it, but not completely stupid :)

I'm close to Rama 9, so Huay Kwang looks like the best office for me. Thanks :)

"and over a month went by before I discovered I have a mailbox here". Was it hidden?? wink.png

Kind of tongue.png I assumed bills and mail were slipped under the door like in my last place, but here the mail room is hidden in a room behind reception. It's stupid to go a month without noticing it, but not completely stupid smile.png

I'm close to Rama 9, so Huay Kwang looks like the best office for me. Thanks smile.png

It is a little difficult to find, it is located at the south end of the soi adjacent to the market building (west side or Ratchada side) off Pracha Songkro rd.

Probably, the easiest thing to do is get yourself to the Ratchada & Pracha Songkro intersection (where the MRT station is) and take a motor bike taxi - just show them the bill, they'll know where you want to go.

• Like 1

If you have an iPhone or android you can download their app. mEA Smart. Once registered you can see the total outstanding bills. If you are late you can as well pay online. Bangkok Bank allows you to pay the invoice up to one month later. As I am not always home for an extending period I check through the app and pay via online banking.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Update:

It appears the MEA app has been removed from the iTunes app store.

I was just about to head out to the Huay Kwang MEA office but decided to give 7-Eleven a try first. 11 days after the due date they allowed me to pay, no questions asked. I'm told it can be difficult to pay there after the due date, so if you find yourself overdue and would like to try, this was the branch at the entrance of A Space Asoke-Ratchada on Din Daeng (Rama 9 MRT).

Update:

It appears the MEA app has been removed from the iTunes app store.

I was just about to head out to the Huay Kwang MEA office but decided to give 7-Eleven a try first. 11 days after the due date they allowed me to pay, no questions asked. I'm told it can be difficult to pay there after the due date, so if you find yourself overdue and would like to try, this was the branch at the entrance of A Space Asoke-Ratchada on Din Daeng (Rama 9 MRT).

You can search for smart life in the Thai App Store. And only for iPhone. It is still there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A few years ago if your electricity bill was low enough you didn't have to pay anything. Is that still the case? I presume so which explains why you weren't cut off earlier for non-payment of the previous bills.

Correct, I believe its still the case, the first 150 units are free.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just out of the country for a month. Paid my bill 12 days late at 7-11. No extra charges or late fees smile.png

(Came across this thread while trying to figure out how my bill was 1200 when I wasn't even home!) I still can't figure it out. mai pen rai

Edited by rob2013

• 6 months later...

hi there, could someone pls let me know how to read this electricity bill? I bought this shop on 1 Dec and got this huge amount for electricity, i saw the date is 18/12/57 so i assume is 18/12/2014, but is this the due date or meter read date or anything? i didnt run it until 1 Dec, its not even a whole month and i got this bill, given that the first 2 weeks was very empty and im wondering this bill is fm Nov, can the MEA office tell me the exact meter fm 1 Dec? or do anyone know what i can do?

post-230371-0-17161000-1420991417_thumb.