Looking For Interesting Places To Visit In Isaan

Issan is a huge area. There's lots to see and do. Maybe you can be a bit more specific as to where you will be traveling? Some of the top sights are Phimai and Phanom Rung Khmer temples. Absolutely fantastic.

Khao Yai is a great natural park to explore. Sitting on the river in Nong Khai or Chiang Khan. Checking out the mountains in Loei.

Check out this thread for some good information:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/614643-thailand-travel-and-tourism-websites/

In Nong Khai, Sala Kaew Ku sculpture garden...Google it and check the images. Gigantic and somewhat surreal cement sculptures.

In Udon Thani, there is a bronze age archaeological site with attached museum. The Ban Chaing pottery works are nearby. About 25 km east of the city near Nong Han

• Like 1

Ubon Ratchatani, Mae Nam Song Si. Loei province. Nongkai and the area upstream from it, Srichiangmai and Sangkhom.

Just north of Mae Nam Song Si is a national park with cave paintings and beautiful vistas across to Cambodia. Very nice park. To see many of these things in Issan, you really need your own transport.

Issan is a huge area. There's lots to see and do. Maybe you can be a bit more specific as to where you will be traveling? Some of the top sights are Phimai and Phanom Rung Khmer temples. Absolutely fantastic.

Khao Yai is a great natural park to explore. Sitting on the river in Nong Khai or Chiang Khan. Checking out the mountains in Loei.

Check out this thread for some good information:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/614643-thailand-travel-and-tourism-websites/

I have my own transport so can go wherever I want. At the moment just wondering what's worth seeing and then I'll plan a route to see what takes my fancy. Added these to my list.

• Like 1

Wat Phu Tok, south-east of Bueng Kan. You'll need nerves of steel to walk the wooden paths lining the mountain. Really unique.

That looks interesting. Think I might give it a go. Top of my list now.

I recommend that you arrive early in the morning, before it gets hot. It's a challenging climb up very steep wooden steps. Bring water.

post-159378-0-45068600-1402236212_thumb.

• Like 1

Ubon Ratchatani, Mae Nam Song Si. Loei province. Nongkai and the area upstream from it, Srichiangmai and Sangkhom.

Just north of Mae Nam Song Si is a national park with cave paintings and beautiful vistas across to Cambodia. Very nice park. To see many of these things in Issan, you really need your own transport.

Actually looking over to Laos,not Cambodia. Pha Taem National Park.Some nice waterfalls in the area, not much water at this time of the year , though.

• Like 1

Phi Mai.

.... linked with khao Phanom Rung will enable you to see the Khmer influence and connectivity to Angkor Wat.

I've been to Angkor Wat. It's incredibly amazing. But I really liked these 2 Khmer ruins in Thailand. Really interesting.

Nong Khai is definitely worth a couple days.

1. Stay at Mut Mee resort on the River. Great river walk and boat restaurant adjacent to the resort. Evening one-hour cruise on the Mehkhong River starting at the resort.

2. 5-minute walk to the best Vietnamese restaurant in Isaan. Namnung Daeng

3. Take in the DEFINITELY QUIRKY and surreal "sculpture park."

4. Nong Khai City river walk is a great place to loiter about, day or night. Always something going on.

• Like 1

Actually looking over to Laos,not Cambodia. Pha Taem National Park.Some nice waterfalls in the area, not much water at this time of the year , though.

Oops! Sorry. We were there in late April of last year. Very hot and absolutely no water. But still interesting. Winter would be a much better time to visit.

NAKORN PHANOM

Stay at a riverside hotel on the southern end of Nakorn Phanom city. Spectacular views at dawn across the river of the mountains of Laos.

Visit Ho Chi Minh's home.

Visit an authentic Vietnamese village which is populated by 100% Vietnamese immigrants and where they retain their original culture. You will swear you are no where near Thailand.

• Like 2

Phi Mai.

.... linked with khao Phanom Rung will enable you to see the Khmer influence and connectivity to Angkor Wat.

I've been to Angkor Wat. It's incredibly amazing. But I really liked these 2 Khmer ruins in Thailand. Really interesting.

Apparently, if you draw a straight line from Pimai to Phanum Rung it carries straight to Angkor.

Fun to combine all 3. Angkor Wat only 3 hours traveling from Phanom Rung.

If you visit your GF's family the most important and interesting places (for them) plazas and gold shops.

LOL. I think they'd prefer the local market to a shopping mall - they're a bit old school. Never heard them mentioning gold shops either. Maybe you met the wrong type of girl if that's all her family want to do. Or maybe she's trying to fleece you. Has she mentioned the sick buffalo yet? You have my deepest sympathy.

Edited by davejones23

If you visit your GF's family the most important and interesting places (for them) plazas and gold shops.

LOL. I think they'd prefer the local market to a shopping mall - they're a bit old school. Never heard them mentioning gold shops either. Maybe you met the wrong type of girl if that's all her family want to do. Or maybe she's trying to fleece you. Has she mentioned the sick buffalo yet? You have my deepest sympathy.

Heh! My in-laws like me to take them to MK for a blow-out. That's ok - I'm quite keen on the duck myself, and it doesn't break the bank. Fortunately, they don't have any buffalo to get sick, so I'm spared that one. smile.png

But back on topic, if you're in Ubon, a trip out to the river Mun is a nice day out. There are places on the river which provide mats and serve food and drink as you watch the river slide by. Very relaxing, and lovely surroundings. You can also nip over to Pakse - three hours on the bus from Ubon, including getting visa at the border. Pakse is somewhat quirky in itself. Not much to do apart from the market, but a great French restaurant there, just by the bridge. Highly recommended.

• Like 1