Thai motorbike licence?

What about if you have normal car licence in EU, and want to do both in Thailand, do you need to take a test for motorbike too? Or not?

I can only speak for the LTO near Pattaya. The simple route is to obtain a car and bike licence in your own country. Also obtain your IDP for both categories. Present these at LTO and you will only have to complete some or all of the basic colour, reaction, distance perception and peripheral vision test. You will not have to do the computer questions test or sit through driving video.. After basic tests successfully completed you wait to pay, get photos taken, and licences printed.

If you do not have a bike licence and associated IDP from EU you will have to complete some/all basic tests, PC questions test, vdo, and practical/actual driving motorcycle test to obtain the licence.

NB: the above will get you temporary licences ( Green Band ) for duration of 1 year, and can be renewed on a yearly basis ( presuming you are on a holiday visa etc )

Long stay visa's such as Non O's etc , work permits etc will allow you to apply for on renewal date for 5 year licences ( Purple band )

Hope this helps

Ok thank you. I fancy being a gobs*ite some more, but that makes sense (albeit I've never been told, until now).

I still don't understand why they would take my IDP off me in the first place!

Simply put ... to make money.. They take your documents to ensure you will go to station and pay your fine.. Most people will go to station. pay fine and return to get their documents back..

If the BiB did not take documents from tourists.. they would just throw the fine away and go home at the end of their holidays.. IE: No money for the police.

They weren't interested in keeping any of my drivers licenses (from two European countries or the U.S.) I'm sure you'll get yours back. It's not an exchange program, they just need proof you're already licensed.

• Like 1

What about if you have normal car licence in EU, and want to do both in Thailand, do you need to take a test for motorbike too? Or not?

I can only speak for the LTO near Pattaya. The simple route is to obtain a car and bike licence in your own country. Also obtain your IDP for both categories. Present these at LTO and you will only have to complete some or all of the basic colour, reaction, distance perception and peripheral vision test. You will not have to do the computer questions test or sit through driving video.. After basic tests successfully completed you wait to pay, get photos taken, and licences printed.

If you do not have a bike licence and associated IDP from EU you will have to complete some/all basic tests, PC questions test, vdo, and practical/actual driving motorcycle test to obtain the licence.

NB: the above will get you temporary licences ( Green Band ) for duration of 1 year, and can be renewed on a yearly basis ( presuming you are on a holiday visa etc )

Long stay visa's such as Non O's etc , work permits etc will allow you to apply for on renewal date for 5 year licences ( Purple band )

Hope this helps

I did not require IDP in Lamphun and did not have to do any of the things you mention other than <basic colour, reaction, distance perception and peripheral vision test.> plus medical ( I forgot to mention peripheral vision test in my previous ).

I guess it depends on where you go.

Hope this helps

thanks, you helped me a lot sir

Got both my car and bike Thai driving licences last Friday. Before going I went to the motor forum where the subject is pinned. I followed the advice given there to the letter and had absolutely no problems. Kind courteous service. The colour blindness is only recognising red, amber and green. Much easier than picking out numbers in a heap of coloured dots. If you fail the reaction test you really should not be driving anyway. Felt good walking out with 2 brand new licences in my pocket. Oh, wear a shirt with a collar as the guy in front of me was made to change to get his photo taken.

do they have shorts there? I mean Thailand is hot, how can you wear a shirt?

No shorts there because photo is only from the shoulders up and is shot sitting down so no problems. As an aside, I find it is wise to wear long pants when dealing with officialdom because it is taken as a sign of respect and I seem to encounter less problems.It may be hot but it could save you getting hot under the collar by minimising obtuseness. I always put my shorts back on when I get home though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is the way to go if I don't pass the colour blind test (I know I will not pass the ishihara test although I see red and green separetely as I recognize all other colours) ? Hiring a chauffeur ? Pass over money ?

I have 40 years driving experience without one single incident in Switzerland. I have a Swiss licence and an international permit.

In colour Blindness test, remember this...no Orange or Amber. You have to call it yellow, apart from the universal Red n Green.

Got both my car and bike Thai driving licences last Friday. Before going I went to the motor forum where the subject is pinned. I followed the advice given there to the letter and had absolutely no problems. Kind courteous service. The colour blindness is only recognising red, amber and green. Much easier than picking out numbers in a heap of coloured dots. If you fail the reaction test you really should not be driving anyway. Felt good walking out with 2 brand new licences in my pocket. Oh, wear a shirt with a collar as the guy in front of me was made to change to get his photo taken.

No shorts there because photo is only from the shoulders up and is shot sitting down so no problems. As an aside, I find it is wise to wear long pants when dealing with officialdom because it is taken as a sign of respect and I seem to encounter less problems.It may be hot but it could save you getting hot under the collar by minimising obtuseness. I always put my shorts back on when I get home though.

I know when I go to extend my visa, each time they say next time to come in suit, but hell, it is hot!!! I never bring suit to Thailand, only Nike trousers, one pair...Everything else is tshirts and shorts

I know when I go to extend my visa, each time they say next time to come in suit, but hell, it is hot!!! I never bring suit to Thailand, only Nike trousers, one pair...Everything else is tshirts and shorts

so can we go the extend our visas in USA and UK with swim suits and bikinis during cold?

it is plain arrogance to say that!