Bangkok: Newbie movie producer threatens to jump after his film bombs

webfact

i know from friends who have gone into producing (not in Thailand) it's a very tough business and for every 1 hit there are +10 flops... certainly not for the faint hearted or for anyone who gets stressed about losing money

Ahh a 'relative' persuaded him to join the venture.

A fool and his money are soon parted...

He should have seen the "writing on the wall" when/if, he read the script. The plot has a remarkable similarity to what happened to him.

Indeed, 555!!!

He made the common mistake of including dialog,a story, actually used real blood, ( 5 stuntmen died), and tried to appeal to an intelligent audience of which there are none here. Should have stuck to the tried, true Thai film making industry with no discernable story, incredible violence, extremely loud, poor photography and everyone dead by films end !

The film cost an estimated THB40 million but only earned THB30,000 at the box office.

I am well prepared to be corrected but I am sure that would qualify for one of global cinema's worst ever results. USD 1.2 million to make with a box office return of USD 900 - that is a startling fail. That is not just a bombing out but a nuclear bombing out.

If they would have made a movie of him jumping from the 6th floor it would have 10 million hits on youtube in a weekend.

• Like 1

Did it have enough 'ding, boing,whistle and twang' in it ? Run it again and give the kids free popcorn and soda pop...sure way to a blockbuster hit.

Oh; and was the short fat bloke in it who seems to be in everything else ? If not it was bound to fail !

Edited by trainman34014

A sad thing is that so many times when someone fails, he never tries again, Yet failure can be a great education if a person is reflective.

Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor because "Disney "lacked imagination and had no good ideas." Several of his ventures failed until he produced "Snow White" and of course others and then developed Disneyland.

Steven Spielberg was rejected by the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts multiple times.but went on to produce the blockbuster "Jaws" and many others.

Soichiro Honda's unique vision got him ostracized by the Japanese business community. but he went on to revolutionize the Japanese auto industry.

There are a lot more. LINK

It took Mark Twain 8 years to get his novel, Huckleberry Finn, published. They are many, many cases of authors and movie producers getting the heave ho many times before someone takes a chance of them. rolleyes.gif

A sad thing is that so many times when someone fails, he never tries again, Yet failure can be a great education if a person is reflective.

Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor because "Disney "lacked imagination and had no good ideas." Several of his ventures failed until he produced "Snow White" and of course others and then developed Disneyland.

Steven Spielberg was rejected by the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts multiple times.but went on to produce the blockbuster "Jaws" and many others.

Soichiro Honda's unique vision got him ostracized by the Japanese business community. but he went on to revolutionize the Japanese auto industry.

There are a lot more. LINK

It took Mark Twain 8 years to get his novel, Huckleberry Finn, published. They are many, many cases of authors and movie producers getting the heave ho many times before someone takes a chance of them. rolleyes.gif

About 20 years ago I took a new idea for an IT product to a guy, I was looking for venture capital. To cut a long story short, he said...NO! The funny thing is, I found out that this was exactly the same guy that said no to a spotty young geek called Bill gates when he (Gates) was looking for a backer for some newfangled operating system for computers! The rest is history. So I have something in common with Bill Gates...I was told no by the same man that said no to him. Sadly the similarity in our business ventures ends there . My advice to the producer in the OP is....try again. It can't get worse than it is, so the only way is up!

Quality speaks. Perhaps if he focused on making really good films, he would not have to jump! Really, does anyone care? Sounds like a spoiled punk, who grew up being told how special he was. So, the first project was supposed to do really well, since it was produced by the "special one". When parents stop telling their boys how special they are, maybe they will mature, and become the men they could have been, had the parents not lied to them. Maybe they will become well rounded people, capable of great things. Maybe they will be able to deal with failure. Failure is not a loss of face. It is just a part of life.

Ahh a 'relative' persuaded him to join the venture.

A fool and his money are soon parted...

Although a relative managed to persuade him to join the venture he forgot to persuaded him to jump.

Edited by JoeLing