Visa exempt by air

This is a blow by blow account of my situation today.

This is my experience, Nobody elses.

I arrived in BKK today, via Penang. This was my second Visa Excempt by air on a British passport ever, I had spent 3 days in Penang so not exactly back to back.

On presenting my passport, the officer took what seemed an age to examine my passport.

He then said "where is my visa". I explained that I was entering with a visa exempt condition. He then re-examed the passport and again said " where is the visa"

Again I explained that I was entering via a visa exempt as granted to some Nationals.

Again he re-examed the passport and stated quite clearly that a valid visa is required to enter Thailand in future.

He then asked me how long I was staying. I said 20 days so I finally got a normal 30 day visa excempt stamp.

Chiming in: Flew HCMC > Bangkok yesterday, AirAsia started asking for onward ticket from Thailand at checkin booths (first time this happened to me on a flight to Bangkok). No problems getting a 30-day stamp, grumpy immi officer barely looked at passport.

Chiming in: Flew HCMC > Bangkok yesterday, AirAsia started asking for onward ticket from Thailand at checkin booths (first time this happened to me on a flight to Bangkok). No problems getting a 30-day stamp, grumpy immi officer barely looked at passport.

Interesting that they asked for an onward ticket. I wonder how Air Asia might respond if you told them that your outbound date is not yet confirmed and you intend to purchase a flight when you are in Thailand.

Than they have the right to deny you boarding.

After which I would deny them the right to any of my future purchases. I assume your advice would only apply to people attempting entry on a visa exemption. A person with a valid visa could not be refused by the carrier could they?

Than they have the right to deny you boarding.

After which I would deny them the right to any of my future purchases. I assume your advice would only apply to people attempting entry on a visa exemption. A person with a valid visa could not be refused by the carrier could they?

Visa-exempt entry by air requires person to have onward tickets and some money to cover their stay. While this is rarely checked/enforced, it makes sense that in times of uncertainty operators would try to minimize their risks by sticking closer to the rules. The incoming mid-august "no b2b border runs by air" schtick is extremely vague still, which presents problems for airlines who are liable to cover the cost of repatriation if the person is denied entry.

i've always been prepared to tell them i plan to take a bus to laos or cambodia. but never been asked

that question.

Well, technically you can still be denied entry as having a ticket is mandatory, but realistically, yeah, having some sort of itinerary that crosses land border works.

Doesn't hurt to have proper answers for the immi people these days though.

• Like 1