Crazy electricity bill, what to do?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

3200 isnt high, but as suggested check your readings and most of all check what you are being charged per unit.
The norm is around 4 baht per unit, landlords hike this up, but that depends on what is stated on your rental agreement. If that wasnt stipulated then you got nowhere to go but pay what he asks per unit based on the readings.

Do you mean over 5 B / unit ? My bill was around 5.35 B / unit.

Lucky you. My bill is 8 B/KWH. It is stated in my rental agreement. I do not complain.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18,000 btu ac at 28° 9am to 12am

12,000 btu ac at 26° 11pm to 10am

Plus pool pump, laundry, night lights dusk to 9am, full time hot water tank, tv on 24/7, etc.

6,000 baht the last 2 months.

We're running one extra AC unit and hit 11k last month. Ugh. Highest bill by far over the past 4 years living here. Rates seem to have just gone up a bit. And it seems to be really hot this year???

Yes the rates have suddenly gone up a bit. In fact there was a demonstration by some of the locals on Samui who were so annoyed at the rate hike. Bill for our little resort leapt up all out of proportion, until we discovered a malfunctioning pump running 24/7, but even after that was fixed the bill was about 20% higher than it has ever been.

You are being ripped off Thai style...this type of scam is all to common throughout the country...

What scam?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hard to tell. The supposed legal liability for unpaid bills from the previous tenant and or time the dwelling was unoccupied (scam) or unit price way way above market rate (I've seen 18 Baht a unit before) which is clever marketing rather than a scam IMO.

OP says hes charged 3200 baht for one month, running 2 aircons a night and hardly any other electric stuff. Seems high, but depending on meter rate pr. kWh, sometimes the public rate of around 4 baht is overcharged, and how hard the aircons are running.

Using some logic and math:

3200 baht / 30 days = 106 baht/day

2 aircons: 106/2 = aprox 50 baht each (not taken other electric stuff in consideration, which you say you hardly use, more than up to 1kWh).

Depending on meter price pr. kWh, if maround 4.5 baht then each aircon use 11kWh, which seems too much for a night, 11/10 = 1100W, unless its either huge aircons on 1500-2000W, or you keep 1000w aircons running full speed to keep an very low indoor temperature during a hot period.

A fairly modern type aircon in good condition for a bedroom should run average 50% of the time at the stated usage and idle the remaining time, for example 850W x 10 hours x 50% + 10% for idle time = 4.67kWh equals aprox 20 baht a night at meter rate close to 4 baht.

20 baht x 2 aircons x 30 nights = 1,200 baht.

If extremely hot or you keep a very low indoor temperature, the aircons will of course run more than 50 per cent and if bigger aircons and slightly overcharged price pr. kWh, then your electric bill does not seem that crazy

whistling.gif

12,000bht air-con is 3.5KW. Running that for 10hrs (assuming on for 5hrs) so 5 x 4.5 x 3.5 = 80bht a night.

Sorry KunPer, I see it as way more expensive than your calculation, can you see an error in my thinking?

Using 2 of those for a month could easily add to 3000bht.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

OP says hes charged 3200 baht for one month, running 2 aircons a night and hardly any other electric stuff. Seems high, but depending on meter rate pr. kWh, sometimes the public rate of around 4 baht is overcharged, and how hard the aircons are running.

2 aircons: 106/2 = aprox 50 baht each (not taken other electric stuff in consideration, which you say you hardly use, more than up to 1kWh).

Depending on meter price pr. kWh, if maround 4.5 baht then each aircon use 11kWh, which seems too much for a night, 11/10 = 1100W, unless its either huge aircons on 1500-2000W, or you keep 1000w aircons running full speed to keep an very low indoor temperature during a hot period.

A fairly modern type aircon in good condition for a bedroom should run average 50% of the time at the stated usage and idle the remaining time, for example 850W x 10 hours x 50% + 10% for idle time = 4.67kWh equals aprox 20 baht a night at meter rate close to 4 baht.

If extremely hot or you keep a very low indoor temperature, the aircons will of course run more than 50 per cent and if bigger aircons and slightly overcharged price pr. kWh, then your electric bill does not seem that crazy

whistling.gif

12,000bht air-con is 3.5KW. Running that for 10hrs (assuming on for 5hrs) so 5 x 4.5 x 3.5 = 80bht a night.

Sorry KunPer, I see it as way more expensive than your calculation, can you see an error in my thinking?

Power consumption of a room air conditioner

A room air conditioner would be a portable, freestanding model or one that is installed in a window opening. This sized A.C. is often rated about 12,000 Btu and uses 1500 watts per hour. If you use this air conditioner 200 hours per month it will use 300 kilowatt hours of electricity. At 11.5 cents per kWh that’s $34.50 per month.

- See more at: http://detectenergy.com/2012/08/08/air-conditioner-power-consumption/#sthash.tcep6UG0.dpuf

whistling.gif

»…can you see an error in my thinking?«
Sorry AnotherOneAmerican, yes I can: The “3.5kW” – an enormous aircon…
Normal bedroom (small) fairly modern split-type (compressor separate outdoor unit) aircons are around 850W, inverter models around 500-600W…
If not running too hard (hot weather, low indoor temperature), compressor will only work about 50% of the time.
By the way I have 7 aircons in my house – so little experience – monthly bill between 4.5k and 6k, most power is used by constant running pool pump; 4.5k when no, or hardly any aircons are in use…
  • Like 1

The 3.5kW an enormous aircon

Normal bedroom (small) fairly modern split-type (compressor separate outdoor unit) aircons are around 850W, inverter models around 500-600W

If not running too hard (hot weather, low indoor temperature), compressor will only work about 50% of the time.

By the way I have 7 aircons in my house so little experience monthly bill between 4.5k and 6k, most power is used by constant running pool pump; 4.5k when no, or hardly any aircons are in use

Yep. 1 aircon in a 4 X 5 m bedroom running 10 hours a night (300 hours a month) cost me 300 Baht but this was 18+ months ago. The actual cost would be a little higher I guess because now I use a fan for the 300 hours... what would that cost?

• Like 1

Did you note the electricity meter before you moved in? The government price is about 4.5 per unit for electricity sometime some people make you sign that you have to pay 9 Baht per unit or even more. Make sure you have not sign such document. Check the old bill you paid (look at the used unit number) then compare with the new one. May be he is also using the same electricity wire and you are paying.

Do not pay him the money take the bill and find out where in your city you can pay directly to the electricity department.

Normal bedroom (small) fairly modern split-type (compressor separate outdoor unit) aircons are around 850W, inverter models around 500-600W

By the way I have 7 aircons in my house so little experience monthly bill between 4.5k and 6k, most power is used by constant running pool pump; 4.5k when no, or hardly any aircons are in use

Yep. 1 aircon in a 4 X 5 m bedroom running 10 hours a night (300 hours a month) cost me 300 Baht but this was 18+ months ago. The actual cost would be a little higher I guess because now I use a fan for the 300 hours... what would that cost?

Peanuts compared to aircon… biggrin.png
Probably in the neighbourhood of 30-50W, depending on speed and speed-control.
50W x 10hours = 0.5kWh x 30nights = 15kWh x 4.5baht = some 50-70 baht/month.
Off topic note: My above “aircon increase” in electric bill, is when I have friends staying in guest-rooms and we are some 8 people in the house, so not only electric cost for aircons (I use energy-saving inverter models), but also for lighting and hot water (do have water heaters on top of solar panel, to boost hot water if not enough sun), water-pumps from well for more people, sometimes sauna, extra cooking etc.
300-400 baht/month for a modern bedroom aircon not cooling to an extremely low temperature sounds very correct to me thumbsup.gif – my inverter aircons use electric power for around 10 baht or less a night… whistling.gif
  • Like 1

Off topic note: My above “aircon increase” in electric bill, is when I have friends staying in guest-rooms and we are some 8 people in the house, so not only electric cost for aircons (I use energy-saving inverter models), but also for lighting and hot water (do have water heaters on top of solar panel, to boost hot water if not enough sun), water-pumps from well for more people, sometimes sauna, extra cooking etc.
300-400 baht/month for a modern bedroom aircon not cooling to an extremely low temperature sounds very correct to me thumbsup.gif – my inverter aircons use electric power for around 10 baht or less a night… whistling.gif

an air con unit running and requiring only 30- 50 watts? a 12,000 btu unit uses about 1.2 kw while it is running

Never have my aircon on - but have floor standing fans running 24/7 (2 or 3 of them) and computers on all the time - lights at night (tubes) - shower heater (but prefer cold) - bill usually just under 2k/mo.

I think aircon is an enemy unto itself - I have friends that use it all day long - but can't cope in the heat outside. Me and my kids are used to it - gets hot, open the windows (with mozzie nets) to allow the air to circulate, have a fan on and have a few cold showers during the day - drink 4+ litres of chilled water a day too. I go cycling to the local shops (6km each way) in jeans, boots and shirt (long sleeved if during the day - otherwise can get burned) - people acclimatize soon enough (matter of a few weeks, few months at the worst). Aircon in my house is for when family come from the UK or Spain to visit.

• Like 1

Did you note the electricity meter before you moved in? The government price is about 4.5 per unit for electricity sometime some people make you sign that you have to pay 9 Baht per unit or even more. Make sure you have not sign such document. Check the old bill you paid (look at the used unit number) then compare with the new one. May be he is also using the same electricity wire and you are paying.

Do not pay him the money take the bill and find out where in your city you can pay directly to the electricity department.

If its in date - then any 7-11 or your ATM will do - otherwise it will be the electric company office for that district. District will charge an extra 107 baht (that 100 baht plus 7 baht tax - 10% VAT) for counter service.

Peanuts compared to aircon biggrin.png

I'll not test that!

I do wonder sometimes about the electricity bills being posted. I live alone which reduces shower usage and exchange free (fast) wifi with the old dear over the way and also give her all my recycling to sell in exchange for a discounted laundry service... 10 Baht kg. I'm a huge foodie and run 2 big fridge freezers along with an oven which works well but is not very efficient. I run 3 computers which are on 24/7 (almost) and one sucks juice doing video rendering all the time. Rice cooker and electric wok which I use for reasons I don't see any point of going into. Total cost per month was around 600 Baht but now with the second fridge freezer (LG) I bought late last year it has gone up to around early 900s.

an air con unit running and requiring only 30- 50 watts? a 12,000 btu unit uses about 1.2 kw while it is running

Ayjaydee, the question I answered was:

»I use a fan for the 300 hours... what would that cost?« smile.png

OP never mentioned any size of aircon, so we all just guess about size, can be anything like 12,000 btu or a small energy friendly model...?

• Like 1

Ayjaydee, the question I answered was:

»I use a fan for the 300 hours... what would that cost?« smile.png

OP never mentioned any size of aircon, so we all just guess about size, can be anything like 12,000 btu or a small energy friendly model...?

wow! sorry!! i read your post 100% wrong. apologies

• Like 2

»can you see an error in my thinking?«

Sorry AnotherOneAmerican, yes I can: The 3.5kW an enormous aircon

I was taking the KW from here, are they wrong?

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/BTU_to_kW.htm

12000btu/hr = 3.5Kw

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

If you cannot afford electrical bills you have a big problem surviving in Thailand. Not kidding.

People who come up with "authoritative" one liners, are usually:

A. not helping the OP or adding to the discussion

B. stating crap. Why crap in your case? Because if you spend more time in Thailand, you'll realize that some of the figures for electricity listed in this thread are far more than what most Thai families pay in RENT.

And when I see a foreigner stating "oh I don't mind paying 3000, 4000, 10000 bht for electricity because back in my farang land it would cost such and such", I see a foreigner to be fleeced while Thais are smiling of course.

Edited by elzach

12000btu/hr = 3.5Kw

Thanks, to be honest, no idea – but I think its Cooling Capacity in kW and not electric Power Consumption.
I was looking at power consumption at the aircons, the sign/mark on the various models. We don’t know the BTU-size of OP’s aircons and normally the bedroom size aircons here in Thailand are fairly small or smallest model. Power consumption varies with type, for example inverter-types use less power (claimed to be down to about half by manufacturers). The typical ones I’ve seen are rated around 850W and about 9,000 BTU. Just checked the specs on my own inverter-types, 8,655 BTU (3,753 – 11,942) = 2.5kW, rated power consumption 640W (varies between min. 200w to max. 1kW).
Normal 3.8kW 12,000 BTU has a rated power consumption of 1.12kW (1120W), and 2.5kW 8,500 BTU 0.775kW (775W), data from Mitsubishi Econo Air.
Just tried to do some logical, but not precise calculations, as a lot more information is needed and a lot more engineering knowledge than I have… smile.png
Edit: Forgot Smiley
Edited by khunPer

Well it is ultimately $100 which is pretty reasonable for this time of year, but if it is high compared to other tenants your building then you may have faulty air condition units or a faulty fridge that is draining the extra power.

You can always turn some items off and watch the meter over an hour or so. See which of the appliances are zapping your money…probably an idea to record it, take some pics on your smart phone and present the outcome to your landlord.

The only bit i didn't understand was that you had a bill for 2 weeks…..780baht and then for the next 2 weeks? or 4 weeks? it jumped to 3200baht?

Good luck

• Like 1

Aircon is stupidly expensive to run. Even putting the cost aside, needlessly wasting that amount of power rather than simply becoming accustomed to the climate of a country you moved to voluntarily is pretty shameful.

• Like 2

If you cannot afford electrical bills you have a big problem surviving in Thailand. Not kidding.

I was thinking the same. I ran my aircon in NJ for one month during the summer and I got a bill for $300. I know we're talking about Thailand but still. A $30usd a month aircon bill seems like a dream.

12000btu/hr = 3.5Kw

They are right. 12000btu/hr is 3.5KW of HEAT per hour.

An air conditioning doesn't create heat though, it just moves it around. This is a lot more efficient then heating a room (which would be exactly that 3.5KW each and every hour)

To get to the real power usage, Air conditioners have something called EER (Energy Efficiency Rating) which is defined as BTU / Wattage, for consumer units generally in the 8 - 10 EER range.

Edited by Jdietz

12000btu/hr = 3.5Kw

They are right. 12000btu/hr is 3.5KW of HEAT per hour.

An air conditioning doesn't create heat though, it just moves it around. This is a lot more efficient then heating a room (which would be exactly that 3.5KW each and every hour)

To get to the real power usage, Air conditioners have something called EER (Energy Efficiency Rating) which is defined as BTU / Wattage, for consumer units generally in the 8 - 10 EER range.

Energy Efficiency Ratio, EER says how efficient an aircon unit is, not the actual electric power consumption, which comes from the specifications (or marking sign at aircon unit). The higher EER rating, the more efficient, modern aircons should have an EER rating at 11 to 12, inverter units higher, up to around 15; yes, inverters costs more, but it pays back when using aircon a lot. A 2.5kW and a 10kW aircon can have (almost) similar EER rating, but the 10kW unit will of course use a lot more electric power.
Coefficient of performance W/W; cooling capacity in Watt / Power consumption in Watt (earlier stated as EEC) shall read over 3 today; tells directly rated power consumption when cooling capacity Watt / Coefficient of performance.
Theoretically rated power consumption x hours running gives power consumption at full cooling effect; but under normal conditions the thermostat should switch the compressor off some of the runtime and the actual power consumption shall be lower. However if aircon unit is under dimensioned to room size and during extreme hot periods it may run at maximum – or due to bad maintenance as blocked filer(s) and of lack of cooling fluid/gas; especially aged installations may leak and need refilling once a year.
Only way to measure electric power consumption exactly is using a wattmeter directly on the unit’s supply. Alternative: Switch off aircon unit, read meter, leave aircon off over night, read meter, 2nd reading minus 1st reading equals usage without aircon, repeat meter readings next night with aircon on (and no change in other working electric equipment), which then will show usage for aircon.

Only way to measure electric power consumption exactly is using a wattmeter directly on the units supply. Alternative: Switch off aircon unit, read meter, leave aircon off over night, read meter, 2nd reading minus 1st reading equals usage without aircon, repeat meter readings next night with aircon on (and no change in other working electric equipment), which then will show usage for aircon.

Used aircon for 2 years plus and the bill (total electricity bill) was in the early 900 Baht range. Stopped using it and my bill was in the early 600 range. Nothing else changed except for additional fan usage over night so I concluded that the aircon was costing me something like 300 Baht a month. This is over what must be a 4 year period I might add.

you paid the bill. id want to see the new version of the bill before i paid. i run my aircon all night and pay a little north of 1000 baht. i suppose it depends on the temp you have it set at though.

Edited by isawasnake