Crazy electricity bill, what to do?

Just had a 2 room ground floor place in HH with aircon running every night Left it on to cool the whole place whilst out for the last 4 days so it was cool to come home to. THB4.5/unit - a bit of cooking, standard TV and lights. Total after 24 days THB1800. 2 aircons running all night in hot season doesn't sound outrageous for THB3200 - especially if there's a landlord's mark-up.

You left your air con on for four days while you were away!! So you could step into a nice cool room when you came home. It would probably take 15 to 20 minutes to cool down your room? Well that's very environmentally efficient isn't it...Reminds me of an Aunt who used to leave her taps running whilst being away in the Winter to prevent cracked pipes. Madness!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aircon is stupidly expensive to run. Even putting the cost aside, needlessly wasting that amount of power rather than simply becoming accustomed to the climate of a country you moved to voluntarily is pretty shameful.

'Becoming accustomed to the climate' isn't the issue, as millions of Thais use aircon and they were born here.

Most of them use it sparingly and not for the whole night!!

Aircon is stupidly expensive to run. Even putting the cost aside, needlessly wasting that amount of power rather than simply becoming accustomed to the climate of a country you moved to voluntarily is pretty shameful.

'Becoming accustomed to the climate' isn't the issue, as millions of Thais use aircon and they were born here.

My Thai neighbours on both sides of me use it all night. Admittedly my survey has a sample size of only 2.

Yeah. I'm sure all those Thai people earning 10k baht a month are spunking 2k of their wages on air con every month.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Clearly we're only talking about those Thais and foreigners that can afford it. Given your interest in saving money and mode of transport, you may not be in this group.

How do you know ? do you go creeping into most Thai's bedrooms in the middle of the night to check ?

My Thai neighbours on both sides of me use it all night. Admittedly my survey has a sample size of only 2.

I wouldn't worry about claffey's comment he posted trying to be all knowing about thai culture and how he is at one with his thainess and just made himself look like a pratt making sweeping statement's

Heating a house in Europe in winter is very expensive but most do it. I run two units all night and i don't find it excessively expensive,it certainly beats sweating the night away, i wont sleep without air-con so its worth every penny to me personally. I t has incidentally been proven that an aging body can cope better with the cold than with heat. Thais get accustomed to the heat but they don't like it,they also don't sleep well during the night which is why you find them sleeping during the day at every opportunity.

Edited by soalbundy

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've heard of cases where the electric company has charged old unpaid bills (previous owner / tenant) to the new owner / tenant and I've also heard that they can do this by law.

Maybe this is the reason for the coming soon 3,200B bill. Then again maybe it's something different.

Suggest you take a good look at the meter readings on the bill and ask to see previous bills and compare.

Good luck, you will need it.

Yes thus is true. It happened to me the first time as well. Need to check the meter before you move in and give the Bill back to the Owner.