will new local songthaews or minibus service appear?

4evermaat

I've always said it would take the Thai Army, and many members ridiculed me.

Just shows how rotten the police are here that it takes the Thai Army to do their job for them.

No, it was the former national government that didn't have the will to get it done, the local governor and police who didn't have the resources to get it done, and a military coup that apparently sees the need to get it done to finally get it done.
Saying "[it] shows how rotten the police are here that it takes the Thai Army to do their job for them" underestimates just how powerful these mafias are, and how powerless local authorities were to deal with them.
The corruption started at the top. Their main priority for 8 years was getting their hero back to Thailand, and that trumped any other problems the country had. With 'a new sheriff in town', that priority has changed.
I'll reserve final judgment until the dust settles, but it looks to be a good start. And I hope it's finally the start of a new direction, and finally some hope for Phuket.

Any chance of an inter-beach bus service yet ?--

would be so nice to be able to have days out at various places at my own leisure-and not be at the mercy of the taxi drivers--or have to go into Phuket City-and out again to get to another beach--and also watching the clock to make sure not to miss the last bus back--which by memory is about 6pm ??? --cant even stay for an evening meal if I am enjoying the place I am at --But I won't hold by breath sad.png

I couldn't help but read the recent headlines about the army and police making a real attempt to curb the illegal taxi 'mafia' operations in Phuket. Will this pave the way for cheaper local transport between popular destinations on the island?

I always imagined taking a songthaew that runs frequently between patong and kata or chalong / kata or hopping a minibus that made regular runs to Tesco, central, bus station, etc. Is it too early to [re]attempt to start such a shuttle service business, or is this a real possibility now without having tires slashed or other threats? Wanted to hear some feedback from those on the ground recently there.

edit: added quote and link for emphasis.

Edited by 4evermaat

Some bus service might be coming to town.

PHUKET: Patong will soon have a network of public vehicles that will circulate at regular intervals, charging a reasonable fee for a ride, if the town’s new mayor has her way.

“We are envisioning public vehicles that circulate 24 hours a day on a fixed route,” said the associate who devised the plan, but asked not to be named.

“The cost would be between 20 and 50 baht, but that needs to be discussed with the Phuket Land Transport Office and the Governor’s Office, as well as tut-tuk and taxi representatives,” said Ms Chalermluck. -

Sause & more: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/With-taxis-Patong-Mayor-outlines-public-transportation/30752

Edited by Guest

If there ever was a time for it, it's now.

Sent from my Lenovo A369i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm thinking if the opportunity is not seized upon now, it will never happen, ever.

They need to arrest Keesin's son and tell him his tuk-tuks drive around like baht buses, or he goes to gaol.

• Like 1

Any attempt to eradicate this thuggish mob has to be a good way forward. However I have grave concerns that the authority's will once again find that the issue is too 'difficult' and quickly loose interest. Leaving 'mob' rule to take over where they left off.

>>“The cost would be between 20 and 50 baht, but that needs to be discussed with the Phuket Land Transport Office and the Governor’s Office, as well as tut-tuk and taxi representatives,” said Ms Chalermluck. -

The problem with the above is the "discuss with tuk tuk and taxi reps". Why do they need to be consulted at all, as they can either apply to drive the buses, or they can look for work in Nakon Nowhere where many of them have come from. Phuket has seen enough of these thugs and their behaviour.

• Like 2

We have seen the start and hopefully not the finish of a possible public transport revolution in Phuket.

You still have the issue of the tuktuk/taxi associations from different areas not allowing pickups from taxis from outside the locality. That has not yet been resolved and that is going to be a tough one.

Sort this, the a baht bus/songthaew system could be a distinct possibility and maybe the regular drivers, and not those with millions in their bank accounts, should see this as an opportunity and get involved.

So, folks who live here, how do you organize airport transfers now?

We used to have a local taxi-driver, who'd give us a discount off the "market" rate displayed on those taxi stalls or in the airport. Now that taxi-stalls are removed, what's the market rate to use as a price anchor? WIll every taxi-driver switch his meter on starting today? smile.png Of course, 700 bath to the airport (one way) is a bit steep comparing to Bangkok's 200 baht, for example, but comparing to $60-70 I usually pay pretty much anywhere in Australia, it's a bargain.

It is expected that the price should go down now, but i cant imagine it will happen that easily. Any thoughts?

Edited by andreww

Phuket is going to zoned into areas which will be controlled by a taxi call center

In future bookings will be made via the call center and transport between zones will be at a fixed price.

There will be talk of taxi meters in the future but the police are saying it is very unlikely to be anything like Bangkok. One of the reasons being the frequency of flag downs and the number of trips that people take in.

There will be a few more meetings between police, taxis and hotels to setup the system before the prices and zones are confirmed.

• Like 1

So, folks who live here, how do you organize airport transfers now?

We used to have a local taxi-driver, who'd give us a discount off the "market" rate displayed on those taxi stalls or in the airport. Now that taxi-stalls are removed, what's the market rate to use as a price anchor? WIll every taxi-driver switch his meter on starting today? smile.png Of course, 700 bath to the airport (one way) is a bit steep comparing to Bangkok's 200 baht, for example, but comparing to $60-70 I usually pay pretty much anywhere in Australia, it's a bargain.

It is expected that the price should go down now, but i cant imagine it will happen that easily. Any thoughts?

This has not marked the disappearance of all taxi ranks, it's mainly those that were trying to claim exclusivity at various places, in particular hotels, though I have been informed that many drivers are back in there old workplaces, just without a covered hut to sit beneath./

There have been no price changes.

I have no idea what has happened to the Meter taxis but I don't think they have been targeted as yet. Stick to your local man for now.

And when was the last time you got a 200 baht fare from Suvarnabhumi to downtown Bangkok?

Edited by madmitch

There always has been a bus service in Phuket, They run from all over the island to

Phuket town and you transfer to another bus there, They do not run to a timetable

you just hail them from the road verge when passing

The are covered in pickups and trucks painted a light blue colour

They run in daylight hours when they can get enough customers to make it worth

while doing, generally fares are between 20 and 50 baht and some tourists know

about them and use them who cannot afford a tuk tuk

some tourists know

Everyone can afford a tuk-tuk, but many choose not to use their service.

Affordability and choice are two completely different things.

Wish you wouldn't keep saying people can't afford something (buying a house, tuk-tuks, driving a car etc), when it's actually a matter of choice, not affordability.

• Like 1

some tourists know

Wish you wouldn't keep saying people can't afford something (buying a house, tuk-tuks, driving a car etc), when it's actually a matter of choice, not affordability.

Tuk tuks and taxis are cheap here, but people still complain about what they cost on forums

Just use a bicycle or moped as lots of people do instead of complaining about a cheap service

as some people staying long term always do, talk about a stuck record

Its not the tourists who complain on forums, not the ones i know anyway

They are quite happy to pay for a tuk tuk or taxi

its long term expats trying to make their baht go further

Plenty of cheap public transport around if you want to use it, when we dropped our vehicle of to

a workshop last week we used 2 public buses to get home no problem but if a taxi had come

alonf first we would have used it instead, very cheap in my opinion and much safer than riding a step thru

or wave which we could have taken in the back of the pickup thumbsup.gif

Edited by nedkellylives

some tourists know

Tuk tuks and taxis are cheap here, but people still complain about what they cost on forums

Just use a bicycle or moped as lots of people do instead of complaining about a cheap service

Plenty of cheap public transport around if you want to use it, when we dropped our vehicle of to

a workshop last week we used 2 public buses to get home no problem but if a taxi had come

alonf first we would have used it instead, very cheap in my opinion and much safer than riding a step thru

I beg to differ.

It's all the complaints by tourists to their embassies and honorary consuls that actually got the ball rolling. The impetus came from tourists, not resident expats.

Many of these tourists came from Bangkok. The difference between Bangkok taxis, both driver attitudes and price is huge.

Comparing Phuket prices to other countries prices is not comparing like with like. You have to compare with other Thai destinations. When you doi that, Phuket prices are not just expensive, but down right extortionate.

Yes, there is cheap public transport here, but, if you aren't willing to spend two hours to go from one beach to another via Phuket Town, then there is NO cheap public transport.

some tourists know

I beg to differ.

It's all the complaints by tourists to their embassies and honorary consuls that actually got the ball rolling. The impetus came from tourists, not resident expats.

Many of these tourists came from Bangkok. The difference between Bangkok taxis, both driver attitudes and price is huge.

Comparing Phuket prices to other countries prices is not comparing like with like. You have to compare with other Thai destinations. When you doi that, Phuket prices are not just expensive, but down right extortionate.

Yes, there is cheap public transport here, but, if you aren't willing to spend two hours to go from one beach to another via Phuket Town, then there is NO cheap public transport.

Beg as much as you like, when was the last time you were in bangkok

Never had a taxi driver in Phuket pick me up then drop me of around the corner because

i would not let him take me to shops of his choosing, the hotel closed the taxi rank after

that and phoned for guests taxi's

Personally i do not care what taxi's cost in Bangkok or Pattaya, we have no intention of

living there to save a few baht on taxi's, you might thats your choice, but they would not

be cheaper than riding a step thru around Phuket

I think comparing taxi prices between Phuket and Samui would be more accurate i found

them very similar the last time there

You have to wait for public transport in any country especially after hours and pay a surcharge to use it

which is generally more than the 200 baht charged by tuk tuks in Patong thumbsup.gif

1. I was in Bangkok one week ago. Taxi from airport to city centre 300 baht. That's 100 baht cheaper than Patong to Karon.

2. Samui has the exact same problem with the taxi mafia as Phuket. That's why the prices are comparable.

3. Move to Bangkok for cheap taxis? No, better to bring the Bangkok taxi system to Phuket.

4. Wait for public transport? Not true. Baht buses in Pattaya is one example. I regularly go to many developing countries in Asia and Africa. You'll find that the consumer is king. No waiting necessary.

5. Malaysia, Singapore, Burma and most of Thailand has good, affordable public transport. Why can't Phuket?

6. You keep looking at this from a foreigners point of view. What about extensive and affordable public transport for the local Thais? Do you see them using tuk-tuks on the west coast?

Seems to me, you don't think there is a problem. Do you think that the authorities are wrong to start to take action against the tuk-tuks and taxis?

Edited by KarenBravo

1. I was in Bangkok one week ago. Taxi from airport to city centre 300 baht. That's 100 baht cheaper than Patong to Karon.

2. Samui has the exact same problem with the taxi mafia as Phuket. That's why the prices are comparable.

3. Move to Bangkok for cheap taxis? No, better to bring the Bangkok taxi system to Phuket.

4. Wait for public transport? Not true. Baht buses in Pattaya is one example. I regularly go to many developing countries in Asia and Africa. You'll find that the consumer is king. No waiting necessary.

5. Malaysia, Singapore, Burma and most of Thailand has good, affordable public transport. Why can't Phuket?

6. You keep looking at this from a foreigners point of view. What about extensive and affordable public transport for the local Thais? Do you see them using tuk-tuks on the west coast?

Seems to me, you don't think there is a problem. Do you think that the authorities are wrong to start to take action against the tuk-tuks and taxis?

Both Phuket and Samui are tourist areas and everything used is shipped from Bangkok, so taxis and everything else is more expensive

All the countries you mention have good public transport in there capitol city"s the same as Bangkok

Thai people use the current public transport, most have motorbikes and more every day own some type of vehicle

And are helped by their friends if stuck for transport

Its foreigners who mostly post on this forum not Thais and every farang i know have at least one MB and at least one vehicle

So rarily use public transport of any kind except to go to the airport occasionally which is cheap we, are quite happy to take

our friends to the airport in the day time for free, gives the deisel engine a good run

I never said i do not think there is a problem with public transport stop trying to put words in my mouth

talk for yourself

The army is doing a very good job of sorting things out at present and its about time, things are improving daily

Both Phuket and Samui are tourist areas and everything used is shipped from Bangkok, so taxis and everything else is more expensive

All the countries you mention have good public transport in there capitol city"s the same as Bangkok

Thai people use the current public transport, most have motorbikes and more every day own some type of vehicle

And are helped by their friends if stuck for transport

Its foreigners who mostly post on this forum not Thais and every farang i know have at least one MB and at least one vehicle

So rarily use public transport of any kind except to go to the airport occasionally which is cheap we, are quite happy to take

our friends to the airport in the day time for free, gives the deisel engine a good run

I never said i do not think there is a problem with public transport stop trying to put words in my mouth

talk for yourself

The army is doing a very good job of sorting things out at present and its about time, things are improving daily

Firstly, by your logic if thigs have to be brought from Bangkok, then Hat Yai and Songkhla would be more expensive. So, that disproves that pet theory.

Thais DO NOT use the available public transport on the West Coast, unless they are going to Phuket Town.

For someone who now says that there is a problem with public transport, you seem to be arguing for the status quo, saying that prices aren't expensive.

You can't have it both ways.

Edited by KarenBravo