Honda Wave 125i brake upgrade

I have a Honda Wave 125i that is about 3-1/3 years old. I am getting ready to change the brake pads on the front and rear and I am wondering what would be a high quality brand to replace the OEM pads. I live in Chiang Mai so a local dealer for any recommended brands would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

Id go for a larger front brake disc (rotor) that will be supplied with a caliper spacer. Then a good set of EBC pads.Could even try braided brake hoses. Converting the rear drum brake (to a disc) would also be usefull - but maybe expensive.

I love the idea of improved brakes on my Wave too, but I do wonder if it is worth doing more than just upgrading the pads / shoes from OEM. I do like the suggestion of better (braided) brake lines! As to larger rotors - with the extra stopping power of larger rotor is there perhaps a risk that you could more easily lock your brakes (given the low weight of the scooter) - especially on wet roads? It is good to have more bite in brakes, but too much bite can be a problem too.

And what upgrade of disc pads are available & worthwhile for a Wave? I don't know if the standard pads for a Wave are sintered or organic ( I doubt that ceramic pads would be available as yet). If the OEM are organic, this may mean that the disc rotor is a cheaper iron, and so may not be able to cope with the thermal displacement from sintered pads even if they are available. As with bigger bikes, selecting friction ratings on pads also depends on your riding style. If riding in a very hilly area, even on a small bike, it may be good to have sintered high friction (HH) pads that resist fade if you have suitable steel or high grade iron disc rotors. For relatively normal to slightly aggressive riding, good organic pads (G rated) may be the best choice, as they allow for smoother, controlled braking. Organic pads don't generate as much heat or friction as sintered (metal) pads either, so your discs aren't subject to additional and perhaps unnecessary wear. As the OP is thinking of changing away from OEM disc pads, these factors should be considered.

I have a rear disc on my 8 year old Wave - it cost an extra 6,000thb for the disc and wheel and fittings. I prefer it over a drum brake, but don't think it is such an improvement that I would necessarily recommend it for others.

Whenever you do change pads, don't just replace the old ones and think the job is done (as some local mechanics do). Take a bit of time and take the brake pistons out, give them a good clean with some light emery paper or even a Scotch (non-abrasive) kitchen pad. Make sure all parts are moving smoothly in the calipers, that the disc is not warped or damaged, and replace any seals that show signs of leaking fluid. One last - and the most important point - make sure that brake fluid is replaced regularly - at least once a year. It is very easy, quick and cheap to do, yet has a major effect on safe braking. I have had two friends in the past year suffer total loss of rear disc brakes in mountain riding. They both had original brake fluid in 2+ year old bikes, so it probably had absorbed some moisture and boiled at lower temperature than it should, creating a potentially dangerous situation. Just doing these little things will ensure your braking is as good as it was designed to be. But if I were in the OP's shoes - ie, replacing disc pads and brake shoes, I would just go along to the Honda dealer near the Prince Royal College (Kaeo Nawarat Road) Chiang Mai and check the best brake components they have for a Wave. Usually they have a choice of quality, and the best will be more than enough for local use.

• Like 2

I love the idea of improved brakes on my Wave too, but I do wonder if it is worth doing more than just upgrading the pads / shoes from OEM. I do like the suggestion of better (braided) brake lines! As to larger rotors - with the extra stopping power of larger rotor is there perhaps a risk that you could more easily lock your brakes (given the low weight of the scooter) - especially on wet roads? It is good to have more bite in brakes, but too much bite can be a problem too.

And what upgrade of disc pads are available & worthwhile for a Wave? I don't know if the standard pads for a Wave are sintered or organic ( I doubt that ceramic pads would be available as yet). If the OEM are organic, this may mean that the disc rotor is a cheaper iron, and so may not be able to cope with the thermal displacement from sintered pads even if they are available. As with bigger bikes, selecting friction ratings on pads also depends on your riding style. If riding in a very hilly area, even on a small bike, it may be good to have sintered high friction (HH) pads that resist fade if you have suitable steel or high grade iron disc rotors. For relatively normal to slightly aggressive riding, good organic pads (G rated) may be the best choice, as they allow for smoother, controlled braking. Organic pads don't generate as much heat or friction as sintered (metal) pads either, so your discs aren't subject to additional and perhaps unnecessary wear. As the OP is thinking of changing away from OEM disc pads, these factors should be considered.

I have a rear disc on my 8 year old Wave - it cost an extra 6,000thb for the disc and wheel and fittings. I prefer it over a drum brake, but don't think it is such an improvement that I would necessarily recommend it for others.

Whenever you do change pads, don't just replace the old ones and think the job is done (as some local mechanics do). Take a bit of time and take the brake pistons out, give them a good clean with some light emery paper or even a Scotch (non-abrasive) kitchen pad. Make sure all parts are moving smoothly in the calipers, that the disc is not warped or damaged, and replace any seals that show signs of leaking fluid. One last - and the most important point - make sure that brake fluid is replaced regularly - at least once a year. It is very easy, quick and cheap to do, yet has a major effect on safe braking. I have had two friends in the past year suffer total loss of rear disc brakes in mountain riding. They both had original brake fluid in 2+ year old bikes, so it probably had absorbed some moisture and boiled at lower temperature than it should, creating a potentially dangerous situation. Just doing these little things will ensure your braking is as good as it was designed to be. But if I were in the OP's shoes - ie, replacing disc pads and brake shoes, I would just go along to the Honda dealer near the Prince Royal College (Kaeo Nawarat Road) Chiang Mai and check the best brake components they have for a Wave. Usually they have a choice of quality, and the best will be more than enough for local use.

CBR250:

This is one of the best posts I have ever read in these forums.

Please contribute more in the future.

Thank you.

CBR250

Thanks for the great information. The Honda dealer by PRC is where I usually go for my scheduled maintenance done and where I got the new Michelin tires for the bike. I'll definitely go see what they have in stock.

David