Germany's deepest cave rescue drama near Berchtesgaden

webfact

Germany's deepest cave rescue drama near Berchtesgaden

BERCHTESGADEN: -- A team is trying to rescue a 52-year-old man injured in a rock fall in a 1,000m-deep (3,280ft) cave in Germany, in an operation that could take days.

The Riesending cave is Germany's deepest and it took one of the man's companions up to 12 hours to return to the surface to raise the alarm.

Some 200 people are involved in the operation, near Berchtesgaden in southern Germany.

The first rescuers reached the man in the vertical cave on Monday.

A second group, including an Austrian doctor used to cave rescues, descended some hours later, Bavarian public TV said. Another team from Switzerland was also reported to be on its way.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27759819

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-10

I've always wondered why these people have a desire to undertake these moronic initiatives, such as descending into a 1,000 m (!) hole in the ground. And then - when they do get into trouble, huge & very expensive "rescue-missions" have to be undertaken to get the idiot onto the surface again ? ? ? ?

Who does he think has to bear the enormous cost of his rescue anyways ? ? ? ? ?

1zgarz5.gif

Edited by jaapfries

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've always wondered why these people have a desire to undertake these moronic initiatives, such as descending into a 1,000 m (!) hole in the ground. And then - when they do get into trouble, huge & very expensive "rescue-missions" have to be undertaken to get the idiot onto the surface again ? ? ? ?

alt=1zgarz5.gif>

There is no need for a rescue....the grave is already dug....= zero cost

• Like 1

1zgarz5.gif

Just like those morons who go out on Sailing boats and get in serious trouble...who foots the bill when Helicopters and Coast Guard Launches,etc have to go and rescue them?

A great example being the 16 year old little rich girl Abby Sunderland whose disastrous attempts to circumnavigate the Globe cost at least 300,000 Dollars,and her well to do family never kicked in a penny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abby_Sunderland#Dismasting_and_rescue_in_the_Indian_Ocean

Those who live in glass boats shouldn't cast stones...would you STILL rather be sailing?.

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne
  • Like 1

Back to the story and ignoring all the dumb crapadology above ... let's spare a thiught for the injured man and his companions and their plight, ok? And let's put our wishes and hopes in the skill, bravery and humanity of the rescuers. These are the more important issues at this time.

• Like 2

1zgarz5.gif

Same the world over. Climbers, Sailors etc., human nature, the thrill of a challenge. When i was young i loved to climb, cliffs and mountains. Now that i am in my 70's i look back and think "what an idiot"

But this is human nature, so don't try to understand, just accept.

Some like yourself enjoy a boring life, others like a thrilling life. Why not just accept the fact that you are happy to just sit around and criticize others for your "kicks"

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

Just like those morons who go out on Sailing boats and get in serious trouble...who foots the bill when Helicopters and Coast Guard Launches,etc have to go and rescue them?

The people that pay taxes, which likely includes the guy being rescued. What a staid pair.

Hope he gets out ok.