Announcements

Thomas_Merton

Very little gets "announced".

There hasn´t been a posting this year.

Despite several changes made to Thaivisa Forum by the administrators that have taken place un "announced" - this year.

Apart from a dubious historical value, what is the purpose of the forum "Announcements"?

Nothing at all to do with the OP, but this is the first time I have seen his new avatar. Nice to see someone as esteemed and educated as TM show such a high level of support for Condoleezza Rice. :D

Or could your avatar possibly mean something else? :o

Welcome back TM, i trust you will behave yourself this time?

The announcements forum is there for those situations where Admin feels the need to announce something, the fact it hasnt been used recently doesnt mean it should be deleted.

Welcome back TM, i trust you will behave yourself this time?

The announcements forum is there for those situations where Admin feels the need to announce something, the fact it hasnt been used recently doesnt mean it should be deleted.

Your presumtion and sarcastic insinuation has as much evidence to support its case as our assumptions as to what Admin feels, or does not feel this year, as demonstrated by the activity in "Announcements".

Back to the subject: I agree, there are way too many forums on Thaivisa. In fact the whole concept is pretty useless as most people just hit "new posts", reading/replying to interesting subjects without really caring which forum it was posted in. (until getting b*-slapped for voicing opinions in the "ladies" forum)

keeping on track too, that forum does serve a point.

you are correct madsere, a lot of posters do hit the new posts button, but if you dont want to go that way you can also minimise sections that dont interest you

In fact the whole concept is pretty useless as most people just hit "new posts", reading/replying to interesting subjects without really caring which forum it was posted in.

A bit of a generalisation there madsere... :D

I think you'll find that "generally" local members of the Isaan, CM, and CR forums pretty much stick to their own turf... and occasionally venture outside to read the news or read a joke etc.

Rather than criticise, how about offering some suggestions on how the Forum could be improved?

:o

Your presumtion and sarcastic insinuation has as much evidence to support its case

A presumtion well founded considering your checkered past, Mr Merton.

You rank quite highly in the list of 'most warned users' and therefore popup on the moderator radar quite often.

I'd be willing to post this evidence, but i dont think you'd like your dirty laundry aired for all to see. PM me if you want to see this evidence.

But as Tuky Jai Dee said, come up with some constructive suggestions instead of critising

/edit - hehe sorry Jai Dee, my mistake

Edited by Wolfie

Your presumtion and sarcastic insinuation has as much evidence to support its case

A presumtion well founded considering your checkered past, Mr Merton.

You rank quite highly in the list of 'most warned users' and therefore popup on the moderator radar quite often.

I'd be willing to post this evidence, but i dont think you'd like your dirty laundry aired for all to see. PM me if you want to see this evidence.

But as Tuky Jai Dee said, come up with some constructive suggestions instead of critising

You brought it up:

Being suspended by a drunken moderator who is now banned, and being "warned" by a moderator that was forced to publicly apologise, is not evidence.

IMHO this is simply a question of "give a dog a bad name and its sticks".

But you are right, we can continue via PMs.

As to constructive suggestions - I have made one: "Announcements" is a waste of space, close it and make way for something of more value to the members.

Jai Dee :- I didn't mean to trivialise the matter but everyone I know use the "view new posts" so I made the perhaps wrong assumption that everyone use it.

Bronco :- I have looked for a way to only "view new posts" in selected fora interesting me but have been unable to find a way. If you are able to help I'm all ears (eyes).

Personally I like having a variety of forums and sub-forums. It helps keep things from getting cluttered up.

Could you imagine what it would be like if there were, say, 3 forums for eveyone to post in ? How many new posts a day does TV average ? Trying to sort through thousands of new posts in order to find ones you consider relevant would be a nightmare.

I scan certain forums that interest me on a regular basis. On ocassion I will venture into a different forum either by following a link or to look for an answer to a specific question.

The fact that the Announcement Forum is seldom used is probably a good thing, as it means (hopefully) no planned outages or down-time for the site, and no new moderators, which should make the OP happy ! :o

Trying to sort through thousands of new posts in order to find ones you consider irrelevant would be is a nightmare.

Part definition of a moderator's job.

:o

Edited by Jai Dee

The announcement forum is exactly that and if it isn't used for one or ten years isn't an issue.

tommy simply dont read it.

madsere use that function, it's how I review posts, thare are other options where you can subscribe to topics or track them.

Actually TM, I think you'll find that much more use has been made of the pinned topics in the various forums to convey information.

Also, emails have been more widely used to announce things... like the recent email about the free SMS to Thailand offer over last weekend in honour of HM The King's 60th Anniversary Of Accession To The Throne.

Bronco :- I'm trying to understand what you're suggesting. For example, in the section "Visa & Immigration Forums" i might want to "view new posts" in all fora, but others, such as "Food in Thailand" I might only be interested to "view new posts" in "Western Food in Thailand". Did I miss a way to do that?

Edited by madsere

yep

the view new posts is exactly that, the most recent posts are displayed by time frame and also they have a little red flag next to them if you havn't read it.

you can also get into an individual forum and track a topic

1. Track (subscribe to) topics you are interested in.

2. Click on a particular forum, take note of the orange squares next to topics which contain posts you have not read.

Apart from the 'new posts' button, those are the options closest to what you are trying to achieve. We currently do not have the exact feature you are looking for. Perhaps in the future.

Being suspended by a drunken moderator who is now banned, and being "warned" by a moderator that was forced to publicly apologise, is not evidence.

A mod got banned??? Who was that?

Anyway, there was a server update recently that people found out about because the forum was running slowly for a few days, but this wasn't mentioned in the Announcements section, so it does appear that this may be fairly redundant now. Not that it really bothers me too much either way though...

Guest endure

As the Announcements forum is so little used perhaps a sub forum could be created called the MeMeMe forum. It would allow those of a self-absorbed nature to post their thoughts to the kind of audience that they deserve.

A mod got banned??? Who was that?

A fair number of mods have been banned over the years.

They are human too! :o

..and, as with all humans who assume absolute power, there is an incorrect assumption that it awards absolute authority, absolute knowledge and absolute wisdom.

Alas, as often is the case, the reverse is true.

But far be it from me to criticise the moderation of Thaivisa.

We must but trust, that the Mods are honourable men (and women).

We must but trust, that the Mods are honourable men (and women).

Mods, please forgive me.

TM, We are all honourable. But I cannot guarentee that we are either man or woman.

Other than that, we apply the forum rules as they are layed out. If you are not happy with that, then...

To TM and all those that hold a grudge against the mods. Please feel free to PM/Email admin with any complaints.

(not me, I have enough PM's to keep me busy for a long time)

Please bear in mind that the forum rules state that moderation issues are not to be discussed in the forum, but rather via PM/Email.

So I am going to close this thread now.

Best of luck to all, I truly hope you all enjoy your time here at thaivisa.

tuky