G72 HP laptop

Gonsalviz

I have a G72 laptop

If I have only a few windows (5 or 6) open (Firefox) and watch videos on YouTube, a loud buzz comes on the screen freezes and many times I get the Blue screen of death. It has done this since I have had it so I can't say it would be anything I have added.

Restart and it is ok for a while. It does not over heat. I have Core Temp, so I check. Ram usage (to me) seems to be high on start up with Skype and FF running (40%+-) mostly this happens at around 68% RAM usage from what I notice.

80% of hard drive is open. 4 GB RAM

Any ideas?

Could be to do with a fault on your sound card try updating your soundcard drivers( which is the software that runs the hardware for your speakers), easy to do if you go to HP website and go to support/software/driver download and run the updated software for sound.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&product=4290949

Edited by Display

If updating the video driver and the sound driver doesn't solve the hum and BSOD, I'd say that you have a hardware problem. If you are in Bangkok, take it to one of the shops in Phantip. There are many to choose from.

If updating the video driver and the sound driver doesn't solve the hum and BSOD, I'd say that you have a hardware problem. If you are in Bangkok, take it to one of the shops in Phantip. There are many to choose from.

Updated sound and video drivers. No help. Infact I updated all the drivers I thought could even possibly have something to do with it.

I suspected hardware anyhow as it has been doing it since new. I live in BFE Isan so it will be a while before I can get it to a reputable shop.

Updated sound and video drivers. No help. Infact I updated all the drivers I thought could even possibly have something to do with it.

I suspected hardware anyhow as it has been doing it since new. I live in BFE Isan so it will be a while before I can get it to a reputable shop.

Warning Pan - Thip will try make a buck of anything, I even think they sell factory seconds, whoever sold the laptop sold you a faulty laptop, defiantly a sound/video fault,

Edited by Display

Warning Pan - Thip will try make a buck of anything, I even think they sell factory seconds, whoever sold the laptop sold you a faulty laptop, defiantly a sound/video fault,

I bought it new in the States.

I bought it new in the States.

I used to live in the states, they have a 3 year warranty on most laptops if you pay a fee, one year is free. HP laptop are made in Asia and shipped to the states, same/same I would never buy a HP again. I had a overheating HP before it's hit and miss with their product. Can't believe you put up with it for so long.

I just bought an acer which is powerful and half the price of HP. Laptop's are becoming deposable these day's.

quote/ I get the Blue screen of death /quote

You need to see the exception code for that Blue screen.

This may help

BlueScreenView v1.52 (free)

Doesn't require any installation process or additional dll files.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html#system_utils

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

BlueScreenView scans all your minidump files created during 'blue screen of death' crashes, and displays the information about all crashes in one table. For each crash, BlueScreenView displays the minidump filename, the date/time of the crash, the basic crash information displayed in the blue screen (Bug Check Code and 4 parameters), and the details of the driver or module that possibly caused the crash (filename, product name, file description, and file version).
For each crash displayed in the upper pane, you can view the details of the device drivers loaded during the crash in the lower pane. BlueScreenView also mark the drivers that their addresses found in the crash stack, so you can easily locate the suspected drivers that possibly caused the crash.

After you get the exception code, google it.

I bet it is related to ram

quote/ ..watch videos on YouTube, a loud buzz comes on the screen freezes and many times I get the Blue screen of death. It has done this since I have had it quote/

May be a ram issue.

DL MemTest86 V5.1.0 Free Edition, 16 May 2014

http://www.memtest86.com/

Must be run from a bootable CD or USB drive.

Image for creating bootable CD (ISO format)

http://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-iso.zip 1.8MB

Image for creating bootable USB Drive

http://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-usb.zip 3.2MB

Do run the in-depth test (and expect several hours).

After the above test,

*Unplug from the wall and remove the battery,

wait 5 minutes then,

pull the SODIMM memory chip and

clean the contacts with an erasure.

Please ground yourself before touching the SODIMM.

Ram usage on startup with FF and SkyPe "may be normal"...

Remember your Latop has 2 onboard Video controllers...

the Intel graphics and the Nvidia GPU.

Both will use memory resources.

quote/ mostly this happens at around 68% RAM usage from what I notice. quote/

What is pushing ram usage to 68%? That IS high.

Please check your "startup" folder for those sneaky apps.

This may help

WhatInStartup v1.35 (free)

Doesn't require any installation process or additional dll files.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html#system_utils

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html

This utility displays the list of all applications that are loaded automatically when Windows starts up. For each application, the following information is displayed: Startup Type (Registry/Startup Folder), Command-Line String, Product Name, File Version, Company Name, Location in the Registry or file system, and more.
It allows you to easily disable or delete unwanted programs that runs in your Windows startup. You can use it on your currently running instance of Windows, as well as you can use it on external instance of Windows in another drive.
WhatInStartup also supports a special "Permanent Disabling" feature - If a program that you previously disabled added itself again to the startup list of Windows, WhatInStartup will automatically detect the change and disable it again.

Could be a memory leak from an app or DLL.

Sorry, I don't have an app for testing that,

thou I'm sure there probably is.

quote/ It does not over heat. I have Core Temp. quote/

Does it also monitor the Nvidia GPU?

Be aware that the layout of the cooling of the mobo often

focuses on the CPU first with the Nvidia GPU downstream.

In essence the GPU gets preheated air and hence has higher temps.

Anyway the laptop is not new...

and most likely would benefit from a cleaning.

quote/ ...a few windows (5 or 6) open (Firefox) and watch videos on YouTube quote/

Be aware that FF and the Adobe Flash player have/had issues.

Recommended to update both to latest ver.

Watch out for your plugins!

Hopefully something here will help. Good Luck.

Cheers,

howto

• Like 1