RS warns it might scrap live telecast if court rules in favour of NBTC

webfact

Who cares? Football...meh!

Your Sad!!! You must be American.

Or Canadian. Or Indian. Or Venezuelan. Or Taiwanese. Or Australian. Or Cuban. Or Japanese. Or Pakistani. Or Panamanian. Or Filipino. Or South African. Or Fijian.

Hope you've got a backup job to the detective agency.

Or Sri Lankan. Or a New Zealander. Or Korean. Or Domincan.....

Edited by wandasloan

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can always read about it in the papers.

This is the biggest and most popular sports event in the world, not some local sideshow like Muay Thai or Aussie Rules. smile.png

So ! There's so much round ball on Thai TV now that it's just another game. Not everyone was born with the round ball gene.

Must be a Yank or a Rugger puff.

This is the World Cup, he only true Global Sporting event, and Thailand yet again are making a total arse of the simple task of getting it on TV. Lets hope they never find the bribe money to actually stage the event....

blah blah blah

Why should Thailand have a free viewing time concerning this football tournament when all other countries are paying the fee?----siampolee

-------------

The world cup is showing free to air in the UK.......... & if you point out the BBC has a license fee, you pay that regardless, if it had world cup or not.

All matches with the national team must be shown free to UK viewers at anytime.

I'm amazed at all the "who cares" brigade ..... why are they bothering to read a thread about footie?

Oh yes I forgot, take footie out of life, and theres "B***er all left to do except troll around threads looking for something to say

"RS warns it might scrap live telecast if court rules in favour of NBTC"....thats the thread. nothing about footie, or soccer

This is the biggest and most popular sports event in the world, not some local sideshow like Muay Thai or Aussie Rules. smile.png

I watched the 2010 final live in Patong, um er nothing happened until the end when they kept kicking at the goals until finally something. It's a dull and frustrating game how did it become so popular?

Natee pointed out that since 1970, all Thais had enjoyed watching live broadcast of all matches of the World Cup. Even during the 2010 World Cup, whose broadcast rights were also held by RS, 22 million households were able to watch live matches via free TV.

A judge at the court suggested that national interest should come first. Therefore, all Thais should be able to watch all 64 live matches of the World Cup final.

Perhaps when the Thai's consider sharing all they have regardless of a persons nationality they might find the world a fairer place.

Why should Thailand have a free viewing time concerning this football tournament when all other countries are paying the fee?

Personally I do not like football hence I am not affected, however those who do like football are very badly affected as I might be if it was a sport that I like, i.e. rugby, cricket motor racing, dwile flonking etc.

I attach below a link concerning Dwile Flonking for those who are unfamiliar with this ancient English pass time.cheesy.gif

I was getting into your quote...then you mentioned ancient English....I then lost interest.

Watch for the mass exodus of Brits in the next couple of days. YESSSSSSSSS. Hope they don't get a visa for re-entry. 5555

It's RS's ball. If they want to pick it up and go home, all the more power to them.

I'd rather watch 2 flies crawling up a wall than watch soccer.

Kangaroo eaters showed their spots again

Sydney boy, you carry on with your weird kinky thing and keep watching those flies. Aussies like football very much and are getting better all the time.

Yes Aussies do like their football, ( Rugby Union, Rugby League and even Aussie Rules ) but less than 5% are avid SOCCER fans. That's out of 24 million people (approx). And most of them come from Pommie land, Europe and North African countries.

Don't forget South Africa, NZ, Scotland, Ireland etc...

Why should Thailand have a free viewing time concerning this football tournament when all other countries are paying the fee?----siampolee

-------------

The world cup is showing free to air in the UK.......... & if you point out the BBC has a license fee, you pay that regardless, if it had world cup or not.

I'm not sure about England, so help me here. If Sky TV and Channel 5 want to show World Cup matches, the BBC must give all broadcasts to Sky and Channel, without any sort of payment, and the police will enforce Sky's and Channel 5's demand, is that right? Because that's what is happening in Thailand, and I want to be clear that's what happens in other countries. The BBC has rights, but no exclusive rights of any kind, and must provide broadcasts to anyone within its Fifa-rights zone who asks, right?

Edited by wandasloan

Who cares? Football...meh!

Your Sad!!! You must be American.

given your grammatical shortcomings, it would seem safe to assume you are not english, though many brits on here have an unusual amount of trouble with the written form of their native tongue.

And don't forget the 67 different accents and forms of pigeon English that is spoken in the UK.

And if Scotland votes for independence it will be then known as the Former UK or FUK for short!

Watch for the mass exodus of Brits in the next couple of days. YESSSSSSSSS. Hope they don't get a visa for re-entry. 5555

It's RS's ball. If they want to pick it up and go home, all the more power to them.

Sydney boy, you carry on with your weird kinky thing and keep watching those flies. Aussies like football very much and are getting better all the time.

Yes Aussies do like their football, ( Rugby Union, Rugby League and even Aussie Rules ) but less than 5% are avid SOCCER fans. That's out of 24 million people (approx). And most of them come from Pommie land, Europe and North African countries.

Obviously geography is not your strong point, Scotland and Ireland are both in Europe, Scotland and Nth Ireland are also in pommie land.

Obviously geography is not your strong point, Scotland and Ireland are both in Europe, Scotland and Nth Ireland are also in pommie land.

Scotland and Nth Ireland are also in pommie land.

Don't ever tell a Scottish or an Irish that they are poms!!!

• Like 1

-------------

I'm not sure about England, so help me here. If Sky TV and Channel 5 want to show World Cup matches, the BBC must give all broadcasts to Sky and Channel, without any sort of payment, and the police will enforce Sky's and Channel 5's demand, is that right? Because that's what is happening in Thailand, and I want to be clear that's what happens in other countries. The BBC has rights, but no exclusive rights of any kind, and must provide broadcasts to anyone within its Fifa-rights zone who asks, right?

The BBC and ITV are poised to retain the rights for the World Cup in 2018 and 2022 after their free-to-air rivals opted out of bidding for the tournaments.---http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10864088/BBC-and-ITV-will-win-rights-for-next-two-World-Cups-after-rivals-opt-out-of-bidding-for-the-tournaments.html

All world cups always have been (& will be) free to air, only stations that agree to show it free to air are allowed to bid. By act of parliament you can not charge for people to watch their national team---This also extends to national events, the F.A. Cup etc. Australia also shows the world cup free to air.

NCPO asks RS to air all World Cup matches on Channel 5, 7

6-10-2014-9-15-43-PM1-wpcf_728x396.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Council of Peace and Order (NCPO) has requested RS Plc to put on air all World Cup matches which is scheduled to kick off Friday.

The NCPO head Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha asked that the football matches be on air on the Army’s Channel 5 and 7 with reason of returning happiness to the Thai people.

RS executive was reported to have agreed to the request and the NCPO and RS might have a press conference on the matter today.

The returning of happiness move came as the Supreme Administrative Court is set to have a ruling Wednesday at 1.00 p.m. on whether all World Cup 2014 matches are required to be televised live across free TV channels.

RS International Broadcasting and Sport Management, the exclusive rights holder for the FIFA World Cup, is fighting a court case with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) on whether it should allow live broadcast of the World Cup across all free TV channels.

Earlier, RS won the case in the Central Administrative Court and has decided to only televise 22 matches of the World Cup on free TV.

The rest of the matches had to be viewed through purchased set-top boxes.

However, the NBTC appealed against the court’s ruling by reasoning that all Thais must have a chance to watch the World Cup matches as they used to, citing its ‘Must-Have’ condition rule.

RS is also allowed to claim any monetary damages resulting from the “must-have” rule to protect their rights as the broadcast license holder.

However, RS affirmed that it would not do anything in violation of FIFA regulations and threatened to entirely stop broadcasting all matches on the World Cup if the Supreme Administrative Court ruled in favor of the NBTC.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ncpo-asks-rs-air-world-cup-matches-channel-5-7/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-11

• Like 1

The BBC and ITV are poised to retain the rights for the World Cup in 2018 and 2022 after their free-to-air rivals opted out of bidding for the tournaments.---http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10864088/BBC-and-ITV-will-win-rights-for-next-two-World-Cups-after-rivals-opt-out-of-bidding-for-the-tournaments.html

All world cups always have been (& will be) free to air, only stations that agree to show it free to air are allowed to bid. By act of parliament you can not charge for people to watch their national team---This also extends to national events, the F.A. Cup etc. Australia also shows the world cup free to air.

You made my question more complicated without providing a shred of an answer.

The BBC and ITV own rights (you seem to day). Are the BBC and ITV required by law to give those rights without any charge to ANY broadcaster who asks?

That is. If Channel 5 says, "We will show World Cup on our facilities without charge," is the BBC/ITV required to give the matches to Channel 5 without any charge whatsoever?

It's actually a simple question, only three possible answers - two of one word and one of three words. I sure would appreciate an answer plus any additional explanation you feel I'm worthy of.

Based on the information in this report, RS's case is entirely reasonable and justified. If the government allowed the RS contract to be made with FIFA in this way, it is legal, and would stand as such in any country having the rule of law.

But Thailand does not have the rule of law, it has an arbitrary judicial system open to all kinds of bending, and so RS may lose their case.

Personally, as a football fan, that suits me, as I'm not subscribed to RS, but in terms of good governance I don't like this kind of last-minute, just woken up, ooh we're in a mess with the public, better do something whether it's fair or not attitude so prevalent in Thailand regarding coverage of big sporting events.

Based on the information in this report, RS's case is entirely reasonable and justified. If the government allowed the RS contract to be made with FIFA in this way, it is legal, and would stand as such in any country having the rule of law.

But Thailand does not have the rule of law, it has an arbitrary judicial system open to all kinds of bending, and so RS may lose their case.

Personally, as a football fan, that suits me, as I'm not subscribed to RS, but in terms of good governance I don't like this kind of last-minute, just woken up, ooh we're in a mess with the public, better do something whether it's fair or not attitude so prevalent in Thailand regarding coverage of big sporting events.

Its that RS made the contract before the craziness with the 2012 Euros.

Why don't the government so.called free channels just pay RS to compensate? All petty politocking where the pooyais believe they deserve something for.nothing. .

Who owns RS by the way

Little curious.

Didn't they have the same issue last time and it sorted itself out?

I wonder thy have to wait until the 11th hour to sort this out they must have had the broadcasting rights for a while now.

Shame on FIFA they used to have to where the World Cup should be shown on terrestrial TV, I know they recently lost a battle in the UK about this

-------------

The BBC & ITV still have to pay FIFA for the WC rights and they are exclusive. Sky etc cannot show the WC.

A word of encouragement to those without True or RS is that it seems a lot of local 'Charlie Cable" companies seem to have tapped into a few likely external broadcasters.

I just spoke to a pal in Cha Am who told me over the last few days a few likely looking new stations have appeared. Another pal in Lopburi told me the same.

I just went to my condo which has the same there.so it looks like I'll not have to bother the wife by dragging home pals who would have no access otherwise in the middle of the night now.

English Language coms don't look likely, nor does HD but I know enough about the game not to have to rely on such things. The BBC/TalkSPORT radio coms via Chrome looks the best option

In the current insanity of everything for happinesscoffee1.gif . ….How about removing the alcohol tax’sclap2.gif and make all bar fines illegalgiggle.gif ……its just as idiotic as the rest of these dumb asss ideasxph34r.png.pagespeed.ic.GOH20nhrx_.png

Certainly remove some of the restrictions imposed by the Chin regime like enforced venue closing times and the dumb beer sales ruling...

How nice it would be to go back to how it was before the Purachai nonsense and be able to pop to 7-11 at 2am and buy a beer with no hassles.....

Didn't they have the same issue last time and it sorted itself out?

I wonder thy have to wait until the 11th hour to sort this out they must have had the broadcasting rights for a while now.

Shame on FIFA they used to have to where the World Cup should be shown on terrestrial TV, I know they recently lost a battle in the UK about this

-------------

The BBC & ITV still have to pay FIFA for the WC rights and they are exclusive. Sky etc cannot show the WC.

This is why there are 2 channels, in order to spread the cost.

So ! There's so much round ball on Thai TV now that it's just another game. Not everyone was born with the round ball gene.

Correct malt25, those are called girls.

Good for you. It's called Football.