JFCCT stresses need for strengthened hospitality for foreign tourists

webfact

INVESTMENT CONFIDENCE
JFCCT stresses need for strengthened hospitality for foreign tourists

Erich Parpart
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign investors still have confidence in Thailand but there is a need to strengthen hospitality in regard to foreign businesses and tourists already here, as the latter in particular would be able to spread the word about the country when they return home, the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand (JFCCT) said yesterday.

Yeap Swee Chuan, president of the Malaysian-Thai Chamber of Commerce and president of AAPICO Hitech, said he currently felt safe about doing business in the Kingdom.

He said he believed in Thailand's resilience since in every crisis in the past, the country had always been able to come back stronger and faster than anyone had expected.

"Thailand is very resilient. If the country goes down by 10 per cent, in my experience it will come back 15 per cent. If it goes down by 50 per cent, it will come back 75 per cent and, if it goes down by 100 per cent, it will rise 150 per cent. The bigger the problem, the faster they challenge the problem," he added.

Chuan said he had absolute confidence that Thailand would continue to lead the automotive sector in the region - and more widely across Asia - because of its infrastructure, the quality of local parts manufacturing, and its ability to meet the global standard in almost every part of the manufacturing process.

He also said he had not heard that any foreign automobile operators would move their operations elsewhere, since auto industries here still attract manufacturers that want to use the country's infrastructure to make their products for export.

Regarding tourism, Brian Sinclair-Thompson, vice chairman of the JFCCT and president of the Board of Airline Representatives, said the decline in tourism had begun well before the military coup due to the prolonged political situation.

He believes that the job Thailand had both before the coup and now is one of recovery and restoring the confidence of tourists.

He said there was an urgent need to address the negative tourism picture by ensuring that those international tourists and foreign businesses already here are well looked after.

Tourists in particular are the ones currently enjoying Thailand's hospitality - and it is they who will go back to their home countries and help promote the Kingdom by telling others of their experiences here, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-11

With all the travel advisories in effect I wonder what travel agents overseas are telling clients who ask about booking a visit here ?

I'm presuming some may say ' wait until the situation is completely clear ' or ' ok to go but don't spend time in Bkk ' and some may be very positive just to get business.

I spoke to some friends about this at the weekend and none of us have any idea of what may be happening as no one has any friends or family planning a trip.

Any info from other posters ?

If they were concerned about hospitality, then why no action on jet ski scammers, gemstone scammers and taxi scams at airports. This is what tourists tell others about when they get home. I would never advise people to holiday here due to the constant lies and scams which government agencies do nothing about.

There are better options in surrounding countries unless your only interest is hookers.

Seems like just another announcement with no real action. Thailand, the hub of nothing press conferences

• Like 2

"Thailand is very resilient. If the country goes down by 10 per cent, in my experience it will come back 15 per cent. If it goes down by 50 per cent, it will come back 75 per cent and, if it goes down by 100 per cent, it will rise 150 per cent. The bigger the problem, the faster they challenge the problem,"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif If that's the case, I suggest Thailand to become totally collapse. It will then come back 1000%. LOL

I met a few investors that pulled back from Thailand because of the "flexibility" of civil servants in interpreting the many different rules and laws. Some investors chose not to pay high bribes to speed up permits or to get them. Investors want to deal with a clear set of conditions for their investment that do not change at any moment because another joker pops up that wants money.

• Like 2

Nice maths. 50% down = 0.5, 75% up from that, 0.5 x 1.75 = 87.5% of original. Never mind 100% down is 0 and 150% up from that is still zero..oh well.

I thought the real problem is that people are spreading the word about the country when they return home. How many Chinese 2nd time tourists ?

I would like to learn of just one useful contribution that the JFCCT has actually made to the investors of their respective countries - not two, just one would do. I think this article summarises quite nicely, they really have no clue, no direction and no influence. As a foreign investor here, being "well looked after" means doing it yourself and it will remain that way for a very long time.