Nepalese man arrested in Bangkok over false promises

webfact

Nepalese man arrested over false promises
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A Nepalese man was arrested for allegedly duping his compatriots into paying him money on the false promise of getting them jobs in a third country.

Tourist Police commander Pol Maj-General Apichai Thi-amat told the press that 33-year-old Bibek Bantawa, also known as Kishor Rai, was arrested in Bangkok's Lat Phrao district yesterday morning over charges of fraud.

The suspect was accused of defrauding three Nepalese of a total of Bt90,000 and falsely promising them jobs in the United States, Canada and Norway, but initially using Thailand as a pit stop.

After Bantawa failed to do as promised, the damaged persons filed a complaint at the Thung Mahamek Police Station leading to the arrest warrant.

Apichai said police investigators had discovered that Bantawa had committed similar crimes last year, defrauding victims of Bt2.7 million, for which the court had given him a two-year suspended jail sentence.

Police was now looking for the suspect's accomplices, Abishek Limbu Kerung and Parsuram Gurung, who are also wanted for similar crimes.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-11

• Like 1

"...duping his compatriots into paying him money on the false promise..."

If they arrested everyone who uttered "You number one customer. I give you special low price", the marketplaces would be empty. clap2.gif

"Apichai said police investigators had discovered that Bantawa had committed similar crimes last year, defrauding victims of Bt2.7 million, for which the court had given him a two-year suspended jail sentence."

So why wasn't he deported after this? I thought that was the way things happened here.

• Like 2

Arrested over false promises in Thailand!?!? Hold on.... He should be rewarded, get a medal!!! Isn't it a common practice here?

Ah yes, this is another restricted area, to Thais only. Farangs go home, do not take our jobs.

Those involved were Nepalese, not farang.

After Bantawa failed to do as promised, the damaged persons filed a complaint

Is the nation using Google translate now ?

Obviously not, Google usually results in non-sensical translation and the one you quoted is perfectly good English.

I don't think it is ever likely that the whole nation will be using Google Translate, in this instance it's just The Nation newspaper.

Edited by MMarlow

After Bantawa failed to do as promised, the damaged persons filed a complaint

Is the nation using Google translate now ?

Of course......I do now and then......but everything I try to translate comes out like these reporters writings.......

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Arrested for false promise? False promises was a cottage industry in Thailand many decades ago.

A few years back, reject John Howard (Prime Minister of Australia) had A Promise or a Non core promise , there's a difference somewhere.

Why not charge them with human-trafficking?

I am sure the penalties are very harsh in the current climate...

Scum like this profiting from others' misery should be punished as hard as rapists and murderers.

They destroy countless lives.

• Like 2

Arrested over false promises in Thailand!?!? Hold on.... He should be rewarded, get a medal!!! Isn't it a common practice here?

Ah yes, this is another restricted area, to Thais only. Farangs go home, do not take our jobs.

Those involved were Nepalese, not farang.

you think you're in Nepal then.....wow. Do ya see Everest on the horizon?

Edited by 1plumber