Thai health group warns of TPP threat to 'tobacco control'

webfact

Health group warns of TPP threat to 'tobacco control'
Poungchompoo Prasert
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE THAILAND Health Promotion Institute has reaffirmed its stance against any move by Thailand to join the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) amid concerns it might create legal snags in the country's anti-smoking efforts.

"TPP will threaten our control over tobacco," the institute's president Hatai Chitanondh warned at a press conference yesterday. Supporters say he is speaking up now in anticipation an economic team set up by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), which came to power last month, might soon be considering all economic issues, including the TPP.

Hatai expressed a firm stance against the TPP after the US ambassador to Thailand asked the Kingdom to join this trade agreement in April 2012. The Thai health advocate has written to US President Barack Obama asking him to stop urging Thailand to jump into the TPP. Presently, the TPP has just 12 country members, including the United States, and Singapore, Brunei, Vietnam and Malaysia from the Asean region.

"We have solid reasons why Thailand should not join the TPP," Hatai said yesterday.

According to Thailand Health Promotion Institute lawyer Wasin Pipattanachat, the US has tried to include the TRIPS-Plus (the tougher version of Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights) in the TPP negotiations. Some provisions of this could allow tobacco entrepreneurs to legally challenge Thailand's bans on cigarette advertising and strict tobacco control.

Paisal Limstit from Thammasat University's Faculty of Laws said if Thailand joined the TPP, foreign cigarette manufacturers would have the right to bring Thailand to the Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) proceedings.

"The case will then be no longer under the jurisdiction of Thai courts," he pointed out. He said this could constitute an interference in Thailand's tobacco control.

Suchada Tangtangtham, an economist at the Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University, said Thailand was already a member of many economic groupings and had no need to join the TPP.

"It's better for Thailand to strengthen Asean. It's best for Thailand to focus on the real benefits for Thais, not just the gross domestic products," she said.

There are more than 12 million smokers in Thailand. Each year, some 50,000 people here die of smoking-related diseases.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-11

"...concerns it might create legal snags in the country's anti-smoking efforts."

As with traffic violations, building codes, etc., tobacco bans are ignored and hardly enforced. The efforts are minimum and somehow the authorities pretend that putting warning labels/illustrations on cigarette packs will curb tobacco use. What good does a sign stating a 2000 baht fine for smoking do when there are ashtrays on every table and no one to enforce the law?

"There are more than 12 million smokers in Thailand. Each year, some 50,000 people here die of smoking-related diseases."

About 20% of the total population smokes tobacco. When you eliminate young children and add those dying from the effects of second hand smoke, the percentage is much higher. Let's face it, the government makes a fortune off tobacco sales and has no intention of giving up this cash cow.

• Like 1

You can stand on your head and whistle “Dixie” but you will never be able to curb smoking, no matter what you do. Rather try and curb public drinking which occurs every day on the food vendor’s street tables.

My proud nation...The United States of Hypocrisy. While we restrict tobacco use more and more every year and freely recognize the enormous health and economic benefits of reducing smoking, we continue to actively promote US tobacco exports worldwide and such as this case; coerce nations dependant on us to encourage smoking rather than discourage it.

All this to appease a bunch of southern tobacco state members of Congress and buy their votes on other issues.

"...concerns it might create legal snags in the country's anti-smoking efforts."

As with traffic violations, building codes, etc., tobacco bans are ignored and hardly enforced. The efforts are minimum and somehow the authorities pretend that putting warning labels/illustrations on cigarette packs will curb tobacco use. What good does a sign stating a 2000 baht fine for smoking do when there are ashtrays on every table and no one to enforce the law?

"There are more than 12 million smokers in Thailand. Each year, some 50,000 people here die of smoking-related diseases."

About 20% of the total population smokes tobacco. When you eliminate young children and add those dying from the effects of second hand smoke, the percentage is much higher. Let's face it, the government makes a fortune off tobacco sales and has no intention of giving up this cash cow.

The present government cares more for public health than the previous ones. The tax revenues of tobacco will not prevent the government from trying to push back the smoking. It would be rather cynical to think otherwise.

In the very short period of only two weeks the government has shown to be working more for the public interest than other governments had in years. Yet it can't do all in the same time. Given more time the tobacco issue will be dealt with as well. As in f.i. my home country, Holland, succesfull anti-smoking policy can be effective. It is not hindered by the loss of tax income.

• Like 1

My proud nation...The United States of Hypocrisy. While we restrict tobacco use more and more every year and freely recognize the enormous health and economic benefits of reducing smoking, we continue to actively promote US tobacco exports worldwide and such as this case; coerce nations dependant on us to encourage smoking rather than discourage it.

All this to appease a bunch of southern tobacco state members of Congress and buy their votes on other issues.

Right or wrong, it's my country, properly named The United States of America. The name itself does not denote perfection or purity.

The citizens and residents of the USA enjoy a basic freedom to engage in commerce and pursue the accumulation of wealth. Tobacco, with all it's dangers, is a good neighbor of the junk food, alcohol, firearms, military equipment industry and many others.

No one, as far as I know, forces anyone to smoke, eat, ingest or purchase anything. Prohibitions may work superficially, but education is the mortal enemy of ignorance. An educated public makes educated decisions for themselves.

When I am dissatisfied with an elected official, who's agenda is hypocritical and damages the country and others, then I have the option to vote him or her out of office. My rants on TVF go unnoticed and unheard otherwise.

• Like 2

How did the other countries enter then without this supposed massive issue over tobacco control.

Or is this about protecting TTM?

I agree. I think the intent in this instance is protecting the sovereignty of the country. Perhaps simplistic, but possible?

Right or wrong, it's my country, properly named The United States of America. The name itself does not denote perfection or purity.

The citizens and residents of the USA enjoy a basic freedom to engage in commerce and pursue the accumulation of wealth. Tobacco, with all it's dangers, is a good neighbor of the junk food, alcohol, firearms, military equipment industry and many others.

No one, as far as I know, forces anyone to smoke, eat, ingest or purchase anything. Prohibitions may work superficially, but education is the mortal enemy of ignorance. An educated public makes educated decisions for themselves.

When I am dissatisfied with an elected official, who's agenda is hypocritical and damages the country and others, then I have the option to vote him or her out of office. My rants on TVF go unnoticed and unheard otherwise.

Education was the keyword in the Dutch anti smoking campaign. Plus the ban of advertising the smoking habit on tv and billboards. Nowadays many teenagers consider smoking as not cool and dirty. Projects in schools about the results of smoking did their work. After the ignorance comes insight and logic.

Education was the keyword in the Dutch anti smoking campaign. Plus the ban of advertising the smoking habit on tv and billboards. Nowadays many teenagers consider smoking as not cool and dirty. Projects in schools about the results of smoking did their work. After the ignorance comes insight and logic.

"After the ignorance comes insight and logic."

Perhaps one day that will even apply to thailand

There will be far more and far worse consequences to joining the TPP. Citizens from all the nations should get informed and demonstrate.

It will be the end if sovereignity of the nations, ruled by corporations.