Shock defeat of majority leader Eric Cantor by Tea Party sends shockwaves through Republican Party

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

old and white and conservative but they are mostly motivated by their strong dislike that we have a black man using the front door of the White House.

There are so many better reasons to dislike the guy than the color of his skin.

I know plenty of conservatives that detest Obama and the color of his skin is not a factor. His lame policies, dishonestly and hypocrisy are the problem.
I am not big on the Tea Party either, but mostly because they are too rigid in their ideology and poor at picking candidates that can win.

Gotta agree with that: I've never met a conservative who has said that they dislike Obamba because of the color of his skin.

• Like 1

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never understood the fascination so many conservative Americans have with Teabagging , or whatever it is they call their movement.

The entire philosophy seems to be focused on obstructionism and not in the spirit of compromise that our Nation was founded on.

I have spoken to many of these teabaggers (?) and they are all so angry about everything. There is not a topic they are not pissed off about.

Well, you have a handle on the Teabaggers. However, it is not only them who are so angry. It has been building for several years now. Frustration at the end of the industrial manufacturing jobs moving offshore due to global competition, frustration at reading about ridiculously high salaries and bonuses for a privileged few while the American working class cannot maintain hope of saving for a better future, frustration at politicians focusing on "got ya" rather than dealing with the real critical issues, frustration at feeling no one is listening nor taking any helpful action, frustration at hearing such news as what is happening in the VA, frustration at the end of U.S. leader position in foreign affairs, etc. I feel for my friends and family in the U.S., I do not see any end coming soon.

• Like 2

I have never understood the fascination so many conservative Americans have with Teabagging , or whatever it is they call their movement.

The entire philosophy seems to be focused on obstructionism and not in the spirit of compromise that our Nation was founded on.

I have spoken to many of these teabaggers (?) and they are all so angry about everything. There is not a topic they are not pissed off about.

when those in power seem oblivious to all reality regarding how far you can keep running up astronomic debt what else can those that disagree do but obstruct ? If the White House administration had made even a token gesture to be more fiscally responsible maybe you would have seen more compromise.

• Like 2

This shows how extremist the Republican party has become. I can't think of anyone more conservative than Cantor (who shouldn't be on psychological meds) and yet he was beaten in his own primary. Democrats now have a chance to take the seat one would hope. The teabaggers are genuinely nuts. So nuts that some lean towards fascism while others lean towards anarchy.

Not a chance. There will be a wholesale change on the Hill come November and the Dems don't have a chance or a clue...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think that this article is exaggerating a LOT. A Tea party candidate beat one of the old guard. That is not exactly a revolution. whistling.gif alt=whistling.gif>

Eric Cantor was a high profile Republican...spent gobs on the election...his relatively unknown opponent..,spent a fraction of Cantor's amount on the election...and was elected primarily because of Cantor's propensity to work against all things Democrat and willingness to hold the budget process hostage...putting people out of work...in-order to make his point as a spoiler...

This is huge...puts the other Republicans up for election...on alert...their jobs too...are in jeopardy...

Edited by ggt

Dishonest democrats like Debbie Wasserman Shultz are trying to use one guys loss as a talking point - if that is what you mean - but who believes a single word that she says about anything?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Likely a death knell to the GOP...It represents fractures within the republican party - between moderates and fiscal conservatives on the one hand and a xenophobic grouping of "do nothing" and "Christian Taliban" on the other that are out of step on most issues with the rest of America. It will be interesting to see what happens this coming November - that will be the real test...

Likely a death knell to the GOP...It represents fractures within the republican party - between moderates and fiscal conservatives on the one hand and a xenophobic grouping of "do nothing" and "Christian Taliban" on the other that are out of step on most issues with the rest of America. It will be interesting to see what happens this coming November - that will be the real test...

The fiscal conservatives may proved right long before that if the predictions made by Dr Jim Willie come to fruition regarding a whole raft of countries, even including Saudi Arabia and Japan turning their back on the petrodollar and joining the Russia Chinese alliance saying they will accept ANY currency for all oil…. tick tock tick tocksad.png

I am an American patriot and this is what I think of the Tea Party in America.

The Democrats have this "enemies list" --- denominated in epithets and insults aimed at the people whose wallets they wish to hijack and take up residence inside. You can be a Racist! and you can be a Terrorist! and you can be a Dictator and you can be a Hostage-taker! and you can Wear a tinfoil hat! and you can be a Homophobe! You can be Selfish! and you can be a Wacko! and you can be a Hick! and you can be a Rube! and you can be Uneducated and you can be an Extremist! You can be a Right-wing-nut! and you can be Mentally Ill and you can be Deranged! and you can be a Flake! and you can be a Warmonger! and you can be "Unenlightened!" and you can be a FatCat! and you can be a Greedy! member of the productive class, and you can be a Nazi! and you can be a Fascist! --- although no one more closely approaches the precise description of Nazi! or Fascist! than the usual Democrat propagandist --- either official, or self-appointed.

Lies, after all, are the heart and soul and the sword and shield of the Democrat party.

So... all you have to do to occupy multiple epithets on the Democrats enemies list is to insist that they take their hands off yourself, off your wallet, off your property, off your kids, off your diet, off your healthcare, off your household appliances, off your car, off your bank account, off your weapons of self-defense, off your liberty, and off your freedom of speech.

Insist on all these good things --- and that qualifies you to be spat upon by nasty, mean-spirited scum --- by The Friends of All Mankind --- by a gang of lying, thieving, dope-smoking, pill-popping, coke-snorting, sticky-fingered, bloodsucking, tax-eating, gun-stealing, predatory humanitarian hoodlums, thugs and gangsters, and by their spies, spooks, and snoops, who seek to silence their critics --- by the Democrat party, in other words.

No political party in the history of America more profoundly deserves absolute and outright destruction. And that gentlemen, is why the Tea party exists. Period. Thanks.

Edited by Maestro
Removed off-topic part of post.
  • Like 2

old and white and conservative but they are mostly motivated by their strong dislike that we have a black man using the front door of the White House.

I know plenty of conservatives that detest Obama and the color of his skin is not a factor. His lame policies, dishonestly and hypocrisy are the problem.

I am not big on the Tea Party either, but mostly because they are too rigid in their ideology and poor at picking candidates that can win.

I said the teabaggers are motivated by racism, I did not say most republicans.

I am an American patriot and this is what I think of the Tea Party in America.

The Democrats have this "enemies list" --- denominated in epithets and insults aimed at the people whose wallets they wish to hijack and take up residence inside. You can be a Racist! and you can be a Terrorist! and you can be a Dictator and you can be a Hostage-taker! and you can Wear a tinfoil hat! and you can be a Homophobe! You can be Selfish! and you can be a Wacko! and you can be a Hick! and you can be a Rube! and you can be Uneducated and you can be an Extremist! You can be a Right-wing-nut! and you can be Mentally Ill and you can be Deranged! and you can be a Flake! and you can be a Warmonger! and you can be "Unenlightened!" and you can be a FatCat! and you can be a Greedy! member of the productive class, and you can be a Nazi! and you can be a Fascist! --- although no one more closely approaches the precise description of Nazi! or Fascist! than the usual Democrat propagandist --- either official, or self-appointed.

Lies, after all, are the heart and soul and the sword and shield of the Democrat party.

So... all you have to do to occupy multiple epithets on the Democrats enemies list is to insist that they take their hands off yourself, off your wallet, off your property, off your kids, off your diet, off your healthcare, off your household appliances, off your car, off your bank account, off your weapons of self-defense, off your liberty, and off your freedom of speech.

Insist on all these good things --- and that qualifies you to be spat upon by nasty, mean-spirited scum --- by The Friends of All Mankind --- by a gang of lying, thieving, dope-smoking, pill-popping, coke-snorting, sticky-fingered, bloodsucking, tax-eating, gun-stealing, predatory humanitarian hoodlums, thugs and gangsters, and by their spies, spooks, and snoops, who seek to silence their critics --- by the Democrat party, in other words.

No political party in the history of America more profoundly deserves absolute and outright destruction. And that gentlemen, is why the Tea party exists. Period. Thanks.

Thank you for that contribution.

Please describe to me what a "patriot" is?

Marion Morrison. Now there was a great icon of America!

Most Tea Party members are not motivated by racism. They are motivated by a desire to lower the U.S. national debt and federal budget deficit by reducing U.S. government spending and taxes. A small minority are racist as are a small minority of democrats.

• Like 1

You folks too much credence to a label. GOP this, Dem that, Tea Party whacko... The fact is that Brat ran against Cantor specifically on an anti-immigration reform platform while Cantor was front-running the GOP charge on doing a deal this year. The people spoke loudly that they do not want amnesty nor any deal for the millions of illegals in the US. Now the administration has opened the borders the 10's of thousands on children and they are being stockpiled in southern states with no plan, just let the Dreamers in. Yet another fine mess.

Buddy, everything in the US today is viewed on the partisan scale and teabaggers make conservative republicans look like Feinstein.

Personally, I had alot of respect for Ron Paul, I would like to see the country move beyond its current 2-party system stalemate, I just don't think the teabag party is the way to do it. I know several since they are mostly of my demographic--old and white and conservative but they are mostly motivated by their strong dislike that we have a black man using the front door of the White House.

First of all, I'm not your 'buddy'. Second, the left has branded the Tea Party as whackos for being fiscally responsible... Much the same way they has bastardized the meaning of being a Libertarian... Everything else is just spin... I was witness to the birth of the new Tea Party by Rick Santelli on CNBC when he went on a rant about this administration's fiscal irresponsibility, not race... You had my ear right up until the part where you insinuate that Tea Party members are racist... You sir don't have a clue and contend that you are the one that is closed-minded and a racist.... See how that works...

Amigo, tranquillo. We were all witness to Rick Santorum's breakdown. Or do you mean you were actually there in the trading pit?

I was a Republican who would have voted Libertarian had they not discounted Ron Paul so heavily in the Republican Debates but I have no idea how the Democrats bastardized the name. Please elaborate.

If you have never met a TeaBagger that is racist then one of two things is going on.

1. You have little experience with teabagging.

2. You are a racist.

Now can we just be friends?

You progressive liberals had your wish during the first two years of the Obama administration. Democratic controlled Congress and White House.

That got you Obamacare, Dodd/Frank and thousands upon thousands of new government regulations.

How's that working out for you now?

Seems to be working out OK apart from the Republicans trying to dismantle Dodd-Frank so that their paymasters can go back to high stakes gambling, trouser as much cash as they can and leave the taxpayer to pick up the tab again.

And Obamacare seems to be OK as well. Don't hear Boehner or anyone else banging on about it too much now.

It seems Benghazi and Bergdahl are the "Bleats du jour".

Jeez, I haven't even heard the "IRS are picking on us" whinge for a while.

• Like 1

Please don't use the term tea baggers. It is an offensive term.

I have heard the term used for years, never knew it was offensive.

http://theweek.com/article/index/202620/the-evolution-of-the-word-tea-bagger#axzz34L1zQNiz

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/18/teabagger-added-to-oxford_n_362504.html

I will refrain from using it.

Edited by ClutchClark

And we complain about "politics" in Thailand lol . . . every other country is a <deleted> mess too . . . I however propose an amendment to the voting laws so that people can only be eligible to vote once they've exceeded 45 on a standardised IQ test . . .

Very bad idea. I enjoy choosing not to vote instead of someone telling me that I cannot!!!

You should actually do your home work before making that remark.

there are many minority people in the Tea party and no they are not teabaggers.

As A Canadian it seems that i know a little more than some Americans.

The Teaparty is made up of various groups that have 3 main objectives.

1. Cut the spending and make the government set a budget that is affordable without borrowing money.

2. make the elected officials true to their word.

3. Less government involvement in their lives.

How did Brat get elected. It was simply that Cantor said one thing when he ran and did another also the turn out was so pathetic that it was easy to win.

Will a Dem win not a chance that seat is a GOP seat and this guy has no ghosts in the closet he is new and he is clean.

• Like 2

Thanks for the links. Since it is now considered a mainstream term for members of the party, it can be used. I would suggest you exercise care in how you use it because it also has a less-than-flattering meaning.

You should actually do your home work before making that remark.

there are many minority people in the Tea party and no they are not teabaggers.

As A Canadian it seems that i know a little more than some Americans.

The Teaparty is made up of various groups that have 3 main objectives.

1. Cut the spending and make the government set a budget that is affordable without borrowing money.

2. make the elected officials true to their word.

3. Less government involvement in their lives.

How did Brat get elected. It was simply that Cantor said one thing when he ran and did another also the turn out was so pathetic that it was easy to win.

Will a Dem win not a chance that seat is a GOP seat and this guy has no ghosts in the closet he is new and he is clean.

As I stated earlier, I know many people who self-identify as members of the Tea Party movement. I converse with them. Perhaps because I am old, white and conservative they let their guard down a bit because I hear racial comments constantly and I have an email Inbox full of racist jokes from these TP members so you are free to tell me about your own TP experiences but I know what I know ;-)

I can put you on some of these email forwards that bash Obama with racist jokes if you would like.

• Like 2

Since when has dishonesty and hypocricy been any bar to becoming a politican ?

Edited by attento

Policy differences aside, the fact that an outsider can so clearly defeat and incumbant, a well funded, well known and well supported incumbant, is probably a good sign for the health of the US democratic system.

The sad part is, he's a bigger tool than the one he replaced! He won't have the power of Cantor, but he's a tool. Republicans will continue their (lemmings) march to the right.

Thanks for the links. Since it is now considered a mainstream term for members of the party, it can be used. I would suggest you exercise care in how you use it because it also has a less-than-flattering meaning.

Well I did notice that one definition is "one who has a job or talent that is low in social status" but I think that applies to all politicians these days.

biggrin.png

I can put you on some of these email forwards that bash Obama with racist jokes if you would like.

I have received numerous emails from liberal democrats with racist and sexist jokes too. That does not mean that most of them are racists or misogynists.

• Like 1