RS wins court battle, only 22 matches of Word Cup to be aired on free TVs

Lite Beer

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm amazed, I make a post in jest and you lot all go on the defensive. You read need to lighten up a little after all rugby, football, cricket, they're just games.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Fair enough. I thought you were just having an anti-footie rant that gets a bit dull.

But you're quite right, they are just games.

However, as the great Bill Shankly once said .....

'Some people think Football's a matter of life and death. I say, it's far more important than that.'

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The NCPO pulled the legs off this one, because they have ordered all games to be aired on CH5 and CH7 both the army channels.

So this is just bluster and blow..... they are all accessible for free..... simple as that.

And so they should be.

RS signed a contract with FIFA. If that contract if abrogated by the Thai authorities, who compensates RS for their sizable investment to buy the rights and will FIFA ever sell rights to a Thai broadcaster again? Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

And by the looks of it,they will not win,the World Cup as it should be will be on free to air TV,

Watch this space.

If any of the terrestrial Thai TV channels wanted to buy the FIFA World Cup rights they could - except they are exorbitantly priced by FIFA who sell them to the highest bidder. Whoever buys them expects to make a profit!

I'm afraid you're living in fantasy land if you think a massive event like the World Cup will ever be shown for free! Unless of course there's a military junta prepared to pay for it!!!

• Like 1

The NCPO pulled the legs off this one, because they have ordered all games to be aired on CH5 and CH7 both the army channels.

So this is just bluster and blow..... they are all accessible for free..... simple as that.

And so they should be.

RS signed a contract with FIFA. If that contract if abrogated by the Thai authorities, who compensates RS for their sizable investment to buy the rights and will FIFA ever sell rights to a Thai broadcaster again? Don't shoot yourself in the foot.
And by the looks of it,they will not win,the World Cup as it should be will be on free to air TV,

Watch this space.

If any of the terrestrial Thai TV channels wanted to buy the FIFA World Cup rights they could - except they are exorbitantly priced by FIFA who sell them to the highest bidder. Whoever buys them expects to make a profit!

I'm afraid you're living in fantasy land if you think a massive event like the World Cup will ever be shown for free! Unless of course there's a military junta prepared to pay for it!!!

You've answered your own question I fear.

Good call, well done the court for this decision

Why is it a good call,care to elaborate.

Major sporting events such as the Olympics and World Cup should be carried on national TV free to air the world over as far as I'm concerned.

Pay TV has stolen all the major sports events in recent years,the likes of the World Cup should be off limits IMO.

RS signed a contract with FIFA in 2006 for the rights to broadcast in Thailand. FIFA allowed only 22 games to be shown on free TV. Thai law changed since then and the NBTC tried to force RS to violate that contract. RS doesn't want to jeopardize its relationship with FIFA. The 'other' English language daily had an extensive piece on this matter.

Pay TV has stolen all the major sports events in recent years

From whom did pay TV steal all the manor sports events? FIFA SELLS the rights to broadcast their games as do all major sports leagues. RS is not a charity and they didn't 'steal' anything. In fact, they put their money up in 2006 and will, just now, recoup their investment. Also, True would go out of business if they couldn't offer programming not available on free TV. Your logic suggests there should be no paid cable or satellite services either.

Incorrect,my logic suggests that certain global events that are of interest to the global population should be available to the global population for free or thereabouts.

Sadly this is now the way of the corporate world to take control,being from the UK I've seen the demise of football,formula one,tennis,golf,rugby,cricket,horse racing,boxing,and many more sports taken away from the public due to PPV and satellite operators.

It's <deleted> and shouldn't be allowed in this day and age.

taken away from the public

The 'public' doesn't own these events. Private companies spend millions to produce these events and you want them free? Go to a Thai Boxing stadium and tell them you want in for free because it 'belongs to the public'. What did you do to deserve to share in other people's investments to produce these events? FA that's what. Are you some kind of commie? No one will stage these events if there is no monetary incentive. I think your parents gave you everything and now you thing the world should do the same.

• Like 1

You've answered your own question I fear.

Indeed (I was being ironic!) - one of the benefits of living under a junta I guess!!

Well look's like will have to change my sleeping pattern's for a month,with what i gathered from true today,of course i can multi task and make some terrific raffia work as i watch the unfolding drama,that is the greatest show in the world,particularly,looking forward to the socceroos, getting ripped apart like a gazelle in the lion's jaws,and COME ON ENGLAND.If we win the Italy game i will make a raffia basket adordned with flower's and present it to someone.

In the UK the games are being shown on the BBC and ITV, this site has both these Channels and is a very good picture

http://tvtoss.com/pages/player.php?ch_id=654322079&ctd=3&t=U.K.%20TV%20Channels

From what I understand, there is no free TV in 'Jolly old England'.

Incorrect,if you're in the UK you can stream tv online for free,I've not paid for a TV license whilst watching on line.

So, you have free internet, then?

In the UK the games are being shown on the BBC and ITV, this site has both these Channels and is a very good picture

http://tvtoss.com/pages/player.php?ch_id=654322079&ctd=3&t=U.K.%20TV%20Channels

From what I understand, there is no free TV in 'Jolly old England'.
Incorrect,if you're in the UK you can stream tv online for free,I've not paid for a TV license whilst watching on line.

So, you have free internet, then?

Indeed free wifi is everywhere you go nowadays ole cock.

Ditto stone, if the Army can remove a government they should have little trouble with this RS outfit. Prayuth should have them all reporting to the Army Club for a few words.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The only "football thing" that I ever enjoyed was "Porridge-the movie"with Ronnie Barker in the late 70's far more entertaining than this ponsey world cup stuff! Greetings to you all! x

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ditto stone, if the Army can remove a government they should have little trouble with this RS outfit. Prayuth should have them all reporting to the Army Club for a few words.

Why? If you were a shareholder of RS you would expect a profit on your investment.

RS wins court battle, only 22 matches of Word Cup to be aired on free TVs

BANGKOK: -- Supreme Administrative Court Wednesday ruled in favour of RS, freeing it from the order of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission to air all 64 matches on free TVs.

The Supreme Administrative Court's ruling meant only 22 matches of the World Cup 2014 would be aired on free TVs.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-06-11

Info is sparse at this time only the following has been announced.

22 matches including opening and final match of #WC2014 will also be broadcast on free TV.

The first three matches to be aired on free TV are: Brazil-Croatia, Mexico-Cameroon and Uruguay-Costa Rica. (Channels 7 and 8)

Viewers wanting to watch all 64 matches will have three options.

First: they can buy the RS World Cup set-top box, costing 1,590 baht each. (that works out to 24 Baht per game)

Second: subscribers of PSI pay-TV service can watch the matches if they buy the new PSI-O2 HD box.

Third: TrueVisions will carry the World Cup channel by RS, both in standard and high-definition resolution, for its members at no extra charge.

OR:-

Fourth: They can subscribe to Thai Expat TV

Fifth: They can subscribe to 365sporttv.

• Like 1

Another thing getting my goat on this thread is all the football haters,posting in with"yawn' ,or 'i could not care less" well don't bloody post then,stick to your knitting or whatever,and find another subject to bore posters with your boring lives.

Yawn!

Seriously, you're making a big deal about nothing. This forum has absolutely no effect on the real world. Lighten up and your blood pressure will go down and your health will improve. Haven't you heard the expression, "Never let them see you sweat" ?

Not true anymore. This news is not the most up-to-date.

RS has now agreed to broadcast the remaining 42 World Cup matches on Channel 5, thanks to the NCPO's request to "return happiness to the Thai people." The Army convinced RS that it would secure funds to compensate for RS's losses in having to let all the games be aired on free TV channels.

Good news for everybody. Now all the games can be watched without having to purchase a PSI 02 Digital HD box or a C-Band satellite dish. If you have the PSI Box, then it is fine anyway because the picture quality is much better. As a reminder, the games can be watched on Channels 5 and 7.

• Like 1

Not true anymore. This news is not the most up-to-date.

RS has now agreed to broadcast the remaining 42 World Cup matches on Channel 5, thanks to the NCPO's request to "return happiness to the Thai people." The Army convinced RS that it would secure funds to compensate for RS's losses in having to let all the games be aired on free TV channels.

Good news for everybody. Now all the games can be watched without having to purchase a PSI 02 Digital HD box or a C-Band satellite dish. If you have the PSI Box, then it is fine anyway because the picture quality is much better. As a reminder, the games can be watched on Channels 5 and 7.

Covered here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733630-nbtc-to-subsidize-live-broadcast-of-all-world-cup-matches-on-free-tvs/

• Like 1

Why? If you were a shareholder of RS you would expect a profit on your investment.

they can have enough profit from advertising but they want more profit.

The games are all on True sports HD 3 at the following times.

Live 13 Jun 03:00 Brazil vs Croatia World Cup

Live 13 Jun 23:00 Mexico vs Cameroon World Cup

Live 14 Jun 02:00 Spain vs Netherlands World Cup

Live 14 Jun 05:00 World Cup

Live 17 Jun 05:00 Ghana vs USA World Cup

Live 17 Jun 23:00 Belgium vs Algeria World Cup

Live 18 Jun 02:00 Brazil vs Mexico Colombia vs Côte d'Ivoire World Cup

Live 20 Jun 02:00 Uruguay vs England World Cup

Live 20 Jun 05:00 Japan vs Greece World Cup

Live 20 Jun 23:00 Italy vs Costa Rica World Cup

Live 21 Jun 02:00 Switzerland vs France World Cup

Live 21 Jun 05:00 Honduras vs Ecuador World Cup

Live 21 Jun 23:00 Argentina vs Iran World Cup

Live 22 Jun 02:00 Germany vs Ghana [url

I see that True Sports 3 is only available on th Platinum package or higher. They could've at least put it on the 999 baht per month Super Sports package, tight gets. Plenty of streaming sites out there.

The only "football thing" that I ever enjoyed was "Porridge-the movie"with Ronnie Barker in the late 70's far more entertaining than this ponsey world cup stuff! Greetings to you all! x

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You should see Mike Bassett England Manager, the best football movie ever. Not that there's much to beat.

Ha hahahaha great I don't care, I don't care, I don't care if you can't watch there.

It is lovely now in England, great weather, food and tv, go for walks, cycling and nobody spewing every 2 minutes 'wel com I gi you Massa'.

Every single match on tv and most at reasonable times. LOL It is just LUVVLY !

So your happy and never come back.

The games are all on True sports HD 3 at the following times

I see that True Sports 3 is only available on th Platinum package or higher. They could've at least put it on the 999 baht per month Super Sports package, tight gets. Plenty of streaming sites out there.

NONSENSE...I have Gold package and Truesport 3,Ch 668.

And since Platinum is the highest True package.where do you get your 'platinum or higher"

Back home world cup is on Free TV. But;

1) The broadcaster bought the rights and gets some money back from advertising etc.

2) We pay "Rundfunkgebuehren", wich is used to operate state TV.

To expect getting it for free without compensating the rights owner is very "communist" idea (lacking a better word...)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Thailand:

Winter Olympics: zero

World Cup: 22

One sport has thousands of ruddy faced men and women, mostly outdoors with mountains, snow and pine trees and birds singing - doing a plethora of amazing athletics and dances. The other event has 22 hot-headed young men kicking a ball around, in an arena with tens of thousands of drunk people making as much noise as the can. Go figure.

Haven't you heard the expression, "Never let them see you sweat" ?

The other side of that: Johnny Cash, just before going onstage, would always glug down a can of beer. He would say, "They wanna see you sweat."

That's one 'man in black' that I love.

In Thailand:

Winter Olympics: zero

World Cup: 22

One sport has thousands of ruddy faced men and women, mostly outdoors with mountains, snow and pine trees and birds singing - doing a plethora of amazing athletics and dances. The other event has 22 hot-headed young men kicking a ball around, in an arena with tens of thousands of drunk people making as much noise as the can. Go figure.

Wait till Thailand have snow first.

Maybe be acquiring Burma.

Reading that suggests that BBC and ITV have paid for the rights, as the article says the rights have been secured already. So they've done the right thing and been pro-active in getting free-to-air secured well before the tournament starts.

The Thai free-to-air should have done the same thing. No reason why the NBT or whatever they're called, couldn't have negotiated the rights way back on behalf of all the terrestrial channels. Seems very unfair to RS who did the right thing for their subscribers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Precisely.

Rs bought it, why should they have to provide it for free?

Channel 5 and 7 aren't social companies anyway. They all have adverts. Why don't the TV companies just pay?