Is overstaying 1 day a big deal?

I may need to overstay 1 day, is this a big deal. I've heard you just pay 500baht at the airport.

That said, they way they've been carrying on lately, I don't want to be put on any list or get be barred entry again.

So, is 1 day a big deal?

There is no fine for an overstay that is is less than 24 hours if leaving form either airport in Bangkok.

One day of overstay is very common and is certainty not that big a deal.

So it ok to break the law yes its a big deal any overstay is a big deal, I find that a mod is saying its ok to break the law is ok this is not right

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Like 2

Last year I oversayted by one day. I had flown in from the USA to Bangkok and got the standard visa exemption upon arrival. I was making visa run to Cambodia by mini van. I did pay the 500 baht. I did have to fill out what was basically an admission of guilt/police form. Technically I did break the law. Immigration was friendly and no issues. I didn't have any unusual travel visas, multiple visa runs or etc. .

Not a problem... they exempt one day simply because some people may not have anticipated a flight leaving after midnight!

You'll won't even get a black mark in your passport.. don't worry!

The most common reason people end up with one day of overstay is because they miscount the 30 days because they din't count the date of arrival as part of the 30 days.

For those that have said they paid 500 baht you should note that it was mentioned the 24 hours with no fine is only at the airport. It does not apply at a border crossing.or at some airports outside Bangkok.

• Like 1

There is no fine for an overstay that is is less than 24 hours if leaving form either airport in Bangkok.

So it ok to break the law yes its a big deal any overstay is a big deal, I find that a mod is saying its ok to break the law is ok this is not right

No worries. It's really not the same as just being a little bit pregnant.

I m very surprised to hear you say this, Ubonjoe, because it most certainly CAN BE a very big deal, if the subject happens to get checked by the authorities ON HIS WAY TO that airport ! ! ! Whether you are 'over-staying' by 1 day, or 1 year: the treatment will be exactly the same: you WILL be arrested and put into Immigration Detention Center (IDC) and, from what I gather, that is NOT a very nice experience. In addition, you also risk being declared a PNG (Persona Non Grate) and could be placed on the infamous Black-List.

Do NOT think too lightly about ANY overstay ! !

sad.png

• Like 2

I've ended up with 2 days overstay on almost every trip I made to Thailand between 2004-2012 (average about 3 trips/year) due to having 30 days of holidays (and 4 "travel" days). I would arrive on "day 2" and depart on "day 33". 1,000 baht fine each time, no hassles, no extra stamps in the passport. Pay the fine, thank the Immigration guy and away you go.

On rare occasions I've ended up leaving with 1 day of overstay and they just stamp the passport and pass me through.

Immigration giving a 1 day grace period to accommodate things like flight delays isn't breaking the law. In fact, I thought it was actually written in the regulations that no fine would be charged if the overstay was 1 day or less, but it it was over 1 day then the fine is 500 baht per day, including the first day ?

If you leave by air or land there is no problem with only 1 day overstay. I had 3 days of overstay last time and that did cost me 1500. I wanted to extend at emigration in Phisanoluke but the officers told me that they would not extended as it was cheaper for me to pay the overstay fine! So basically I wanted to do the right thing but emigration did not alove me! :P

I m very surprised to hear you say this, Ubonjoe, because it most certainly CAN BE a very big deal, if the subject happens to get checked by the authorities ON HIS WAY TO that airport ! ! ! Whether you are 'over-staying' by 1 day, or 1 year: the treatment will be exactly the same: you WILL be arrested and put into Immigration Detention Center (IDC) and, from what I gather, that is NOT a very nice experience. In addition, you also risk being declared a PNG (Persona Non Grate) and could be placed on the infamous Black-List.

sad.png

If they check your passport when you are on your way to the airport, and have one or two hours of overstay. There is NO way they will arrest you, put you in an immigration detention center, declare you persona non grate and place you on the black list.

• Like 1

Done it a few times as a tourist, never had a problem either on exit or any subsequent entries and used to be out here every three months for a month. Don't worry about it.

Once over stayed for a week and both myself and my wife were fined 500B a day. Although my wife is Thai she was also fined because she entered the country on a British Passport. The Immigration officer told her that if she must enter the country on her British passport next time to show her Thai ID card and she would get a twelve month stamp. Never tried that though.

There is no fine for one day's overstay.

SDM

PS Never say never but in the 16 years I have been coming here ( a month for every third month) and the four years I have been living here, I have not been once asked to show my passport. In the day I usually do carry my passport and work permit, just in case, but have never been asked for it.

Edited by SDM0712

sad.png

At the Airports, they do not consider that first day as an 'Overstay' and they do not impose the 500 THB fine. Its considered as the last day that you MUST leave in order not to 'Overstay'.

If it was a BIG deal like you say. Why isn't there any fine or penalty when doing it?

It's obvious that the Immigration understand the confusion tourists have with flying just after midnight. Or counting or not counting the day they arrive. That's way they don't have any penalty for the first day of overstay

(..........)

Immigration giving a 1 day grace period to accommodate things like flight delays isn't breaking the law. In fact, I thought it was actually written in the regulations that no fine would be charged if the overstay was 1 day or less, but it it was over 1 day then the fine is 500 baht per day, including the first day ?

That is correct. If overstay is more than 1 day, the first day will also be levied at 500 baht a day, with a maximum of 20,000.

In practise, a one or two day overstay is not a problem. But with immigration getting stricter on abuse of visa exempt entries it is not recommended if you want to make a border run and come right back in. It gives immigration an extra reason to challange you and possibly deny you entry. In that sense I would be more careful about an overstay in case of making border runs for a new visa exempt entry.

A person on a holiday and overstaying a few days before taking a flight back home has not much to worry about.

• Like 2

I managed a one day overstay when mistiming my Cambodia visa run whilst on a one year non-imm O visa. 500 bt fine, and a black stamp in my passport.

It never caused any subsequent problems although my local immigration always wanted a copy of that page whenever I went for the retirement extensions thereafter, and also for any residence certificates.

sad.png

Ok if it is a big deal what would be your recommendation to the OP?. Get a flight a day earlier or go to immigration & get a extension for 1900 baht to be legal?

Maybe you have access to documented cases where a 1 day overstay is a problem?

I don't believe ubonjoe ever claimed to work for Thai Immigration or is a legal expert but gives his opinion to the best of his knowledge.

In this case, I believe he gave good advice as he does many if not all the time.

I certainly don't claim to know the answer but I would think it's not an issue & would pay if required at the airport.

• Like 1

sad.png

The water is still hot.. Milk and sugar ?

• Like 2

I forgot one thing before... I managed to get a 44 day overstay during the floods in 2011(2554 to used to count in Thai style right now) I had my visa but I forgot to go to emigration for extending my stay as I had things that I thought where much more important to do. So I payed the 20000 and never heard about it again!

I've overstayed a day or two many times. Every time it was no big deal. When you think about the amount of people that overstay a day or two it must make a lot of money for the government. What they are concerned about are the folks with repeated violations of staying months over.

• Like 1

I replied based upon what the OP posted.

His concern was about leaving from the airport and having a problem then or later not during that period of time.

His one day of overstay could be a matter of few hours up to perhaps 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds. During those 24 hours the risk of getting caught with it are proportionally less than one that is greater than 24 hours.

He could go to immigration and apply for a 7 day extension. But there is a possibility as has been reported before they might tell him not to worry about it and just overstay and pay at airport if it is only a few days. There have alos been reports of people being told this with long overstays.

That's what happened with my 44 day overstay, I even went to emigration 1 in Bangkok and they just told me not to worry but leave Thailand soon!!! :)

Not a problem... they exempt one day simply because some people may not have anticipated a flight leaving after midnight!

You'll won't even get a black mark in your passport.. don't worry!

The most common reason people end up with one day of overstay is because they miscount the 30 days because they din't count the date of arrival as part of the 30 days.

For those that have said they paid 500 baht you should note that it was mentioned the 24 hours with no fine is only at the airport. It does not apply at a border crossing.or at some airports outside Bangkok.

It shouldn't be difficult to interpret the 30 days (or whatever the authorized length of stay is) because Thai immigration stamps the last day you can be in Thailand, therefore there is no need to "count the days" like you would need to in China, where no "permitted to remain until date" is stamped.

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and Malaysia (if arriving overland from Thailand) all stamp a date in your passport, which is the last date you can remain in that country unless you obtain a visa extension or change to another visa type (if possible). There is no ambiguity about it - if you leave, obtain an extension or otherwise sort out your status no later than this date, you have not overstayed.

China, India, Australia, Singapore, just to name a few countries unfortunately don't do this - they usually issue a stamp stating how long you can stay (i.e. 90 days from the day of arrival in Singapore) or the visa must be referred to (in India and China - the stamp merely indicates when a passenger arrived, but the length of stay is determined by what the visa states e.g. "30 days after each entry" in China's case). In those countries, a foreigner needs to carefully count the days and know (or find out) whether the date of arrival is counted as day 0 or day 1.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I think you are taking this way out of context. The original OP is merely asking if there would be serious repercussions to a one day overstay and" Ubonjoe" has replied that it is not that big an issue.

Immigration already provides for such anomalies with the 500 Baht /Day penalty so I hardly see this as any more serious as illegal parking or speeding which are also breaking the law but done by thousands on a daily basis. Furthermore he is neither hurting or inconveniencing anyone else.

• Like 1